Burning Bridges in Rap For a Government Job?

I'm an 18 year old rapper, and I did a music video shoot which had other rappers smoking weed, drinking, eating shrooms, etc. I'm also a student in college and I might eventually get a job in Urban Planning. The other rappers came to la all the way from ny, and a good amount of money was spent on the video. I don't know if I should release it, because I want to do music, but if that doesn't work out my major could lead to a government job. What do you guys think about potentially incriminating videos on the internet? Should I pursue what I really want to do (music) or grow up and focus on my potential future in Urban Planning?

Last edited:
If you post it and it is found...you won't get a gov't job. But you're fine if you've done nothing incriminating and the content doesn't damage your character.

FYI if you're rapping about dope and all the goons you got, you're gonna look guilty by association. And no offense, if you even gotta make a thread like this, you've prolly done enough other stuff to compromise a gov't career in the past that could catch up to you, lol. All depends on who's doing the homework on you and how they take what they find.

You will not be burning any bridges. Destroy that video and get that government job.

Those dudes in the video will not be able to do anything for you when you finish college. They will still be getting high and partying. They will probably hate on you for getting a college education.

Burn those bridges. I will buy the gasoline and matches. Education > Rap career.

Do u have a record? Do u rap under your birth name? Do u really think this vid will go viral?

No, I don't rap under my birthname, but my facebook and twitter are under my birthname, and it's gonna be over there. The video's probably not gonna go viral, but it might have like, 15-20 thousand views on youtube, and a few of my professors know of my music.

Last edited:
Well I would say dump anything that links your birth name and your rap name. You might have a problem if u want to do FBI type stuff, but i think for most part just a standard local government job should be okay (no record of course). How much longer to u graduate? Do u plan to go to grad/professional school? The reason i ask is the bigger the gap b/w being a "young&dumb" and looking for a job the better ( although nothing on the net goes away, it just moves from page 1 search to page 5 + over time). Good luck.

First thing you should do is not have any social media account under your government name anyway... Background check purposes and all that... gotta change facebook, twtter and all that.
Then, if you are to get a high enough position later, might be detrimental.. but that would be if you were to run for anything major.

Last edited:
I've sent this thread to your local office to save you the choice. You're welcome.

(just kidding just making a point...everything on the net is traceable somehow)

First thing you should do is not have any social media account under your government name anyway... Background check purposes and all that... gotta change facebook, twtter and all that.
Then, if you are to get a high enough position later, might be detrimental.. but that would be if you were to run for anything major.

this...

Just quit rapping and go for the government job since youre that concerned. You'll be better off in the long run anyway. Stable well-paying job > Unstable music career that everybody and their grandparents want in on.

Seriously, i agree, why is this even a question.

I would not release it. It doesn't matter if it goes viral or not. If this is a government job they will find it when searching for you.

You are guilty by association. You might not smoke, party, get high or whatever but if you are seen with those types of people... guess what, you will perceived like one of them.

No, I don't rap under my birthname, but my facebook and twitter are under my birthname, and it's gonna be over there. The video's probably not gonna go viral, but it might have like, 15-20 thousand views on youtube, and a few of my professors know of my music.

I wouldn't reccomend uploading the video

Your professors are the ones that will vouch for you, what the hell you smoking weed and hanging out with goons for if your going to be in urban planning?

Education over rap.

Last edited:
Back