Asher Roth Is Proof That Hip-Hop Has Won (MTV Article)

Jackpot ProductionZ said:
One thing he doesn't have though is that urban co-sign he needs. Yeah, a couple artists said he's dope and Don Cannon hosted his mixtape but DC isn't known enough to the average person that would care if he gave Asher a stamp of approval, he might as well be co-signed by Ace Hood.

Eminem was co-signed by 2 of the biggest and most respectable people in the history of hip hop and it allowed the "urban" (I hate saying that but it is what it is) market to accept him. Asher doesn't have that just yet and I don't think Jim Jones is gonna cut it.......

Asher is either gonna be real huge or be just another Swayze IMO.......

But the reason I wanna see him succeed is because the game needs a shake-up, I've joined the league of those who are tired of the same artist being served over & over that I'm willing to take a mediocre knockoff of Em then another T.I. clone or generic southern rapper with one flow.......

Good points, this article does seem like alotta hype, but I do wanna see him succeed, because hip hop needs to go in this direction, things are way to over the top and material right now and it needs to be taken back to what hip hop was in the beggining and if Asher succeeds then its sign that people are open and ready for somethin like this.

Yall really take this dude serious??! this dude is corny.. why would you want to hear some whack ass dude that sounds JUST like em? they really pushin this dudes ish.. Get at me.. i spit the truth

i dont see why people are saying he is what hip hop needs hes no different from anything else u hear on the radio, i watched a interview on youtube and he said that he wants to be a teacher and that people can learn from his lyrics.. sounds kinda fake his lyrics dont teach anything worthwhile to me

Its tough being a white rapper without being looked at as an outsider.

But Asher Roth is hot-ass, mud butt Grade A garbage.....

-1-

Asher is either gonna be real huge or be just another Swayze IMO.......
Shwayze sold 240,000 + on their first album out the gate. They had no feature or any "co=signing" going for them, that album was purely them and it was hot. Shwayze is going to be hot again this summer as long as they drop another album by the time it comes.

Asher though, I don't see him selling very, idk though. He's had a couple alright songs but nothing that would make me wanna rush out and buy/download anything of his.

And to the person who tried to tell me Asher isn't trying to bank on Ems former lane what he/she fails to realise is that once you reach 25 ish'+ you become irrelevant to mainstream culture (especially music) and no one markets to you, atleast not heavily. Ems target back when he dropped in 99' was 11-12+. So fast forward 10 years and were here, we catch the back end (although still extremely large) of em's lane. These people didn't exactly hate their parents but they did have his cd's. Now their in college, sort of liking the club stuff that comes out but after awhile they reaise new hits are coming out every week and become bored with it. This is where Asher comes in. He'll do some number if he comes out with another big single.

It's funny how many people knock him for being just another Eminem carbon copy when most of the people who produce on here emulate Danja/Timbo as much as they possibly can. I would argue that Wale sounds a lot like Wayne on many of his songs, but God forbid I would probably get strung up here. I like Wale a lot more than Wayne though, he's a lot less Wayne-ish.

Asher Roth found a marketable audience in the only group of people who buy albums anymore (rich kids from the burbs who party a lot) and capitalized on it. He's signed to Loud (who have an insane track record for putting on talent), so he'll probably have a bright future ahead. I don't think it'll be very cool to see hip-hop move to the 'burbs, but he's living most of your dreams.

Of course dude is a fraud, but he's going to be a pretty wealthy fraud, and all you can really do is frown about how he bit Eminem's style.

Even if he did bite eminem's style I do agree with some of these posts. I am getting tired of hearing the same old stuff becoming hits in mainstream. All I know is that with em's new album dropping in may he may have to cut back on the biting. Some of his fanbase might take notice.

Intrinzik said:
Shwayze sold 240,000 + on their first album out the gate. They had no feature or any "co=signing" going for them, that album was purely them and it was hot. Shwayze is going to be hot again this summer as long as they drop another album by the time it comes.

I meant as far as being relevant in the mainstream and having an impact. I never hear anybody mention shwayze at all, they're really no bigger or smaller then the cool kids or pacific division but at the end of the day their impact isn't enough to change what's happening in the mainstream which is why Eminem was so important to music when he came out. Shwayze isn't on that type of level, not even Lupe first album status really.

Not to take anything away from Shwayze but if Asher goes the route of Shwayze then we won't even be mentioning him a year from now especially if he's marketed toward a strictly suburban market.

Every white rapper has had an urban impact.......

I hate to sound like this but the average urban music fan is aware of Paul Wall, Bubba Sparxx, Eminem, etc and has never even heard of Shwayze and if Asher doesn't get some kind of urban appeal he'll never be accepted as a real rapper and will just be some white dude that makes music.......

I'm predicting Asher sells 45-60k first week. Hes trying to appeal to college kids aka the kings of torrents.

I meant as far as being relevant in the mainstream and having an impact. I never hear anybody mention shwayze at all, they're really no bigger or smaller then the cool kids or pacific division but at the end of the day their impact isn't enough to change what's happening in the mainstream which is why Eminem was so important to music when he came out. Shwayze isn't on that type of level, not even Lupe first album status really.

Not to take anything away from Shwayze but if Asher goes the route of Shwayze then we won't even be mentioning him a year from now especially if he's marketed toward a strictly suburban market.

Every white rapper has had an urban impact.......

I hate to sound like this but the average urban music fan is aware of Paul Wall, Bubba Sparxx, Eminem, etc and has never even heard of Shwayze and if Asher doesn't get some kind of urban appeal he'll never be accepted as a real rapper and will just be some white dude that makes music.......
You know that group who made the song "I like girls who wear Ambercrombie and Fich, Chinese food makes me sick" were rappers as well. They were huge, I can't remember they're name because they didn't appeal to an urban audience. Another group had a song called "Southern Discomfort" that I loved, but they came and went as well for the same reason.

Suburban kids bump suburban rap while it's on, and don't think about it once it goes off. Unless you bring something to the table that will give you longevity. Shwayzewas a perfect example because they sound a quarter mill and are already forgotten. Hell, remember Willa Ford, JoJo(the lil' girl, not Rev Run's son), Dream(P.Diddy's White girls aka Danity Kane prototype), even tho they all had "success".

I can't say whether or not Roth has what it takes to get beyond that, all I can say is he's byting a person's formula to the T. Not a slight influence, not a respectable inspiration, not even picking up where another left off, but a straight up rip off. That don't make me "mad" or a "hater", I wouldn't trade places, opportunities, lives or bank accts. with dude, lol.

But seems to me like he would with Em...just sayin.

Everyone has difference in opinion, I like my hip hop a little realer. If we were talking RnB/Pop, Ciara could byte of Beyonce who bit off Britney(not that this really happened just giving an example)all she wanted, i'd still be a fan if the music was good.

Last edited:
^^^That's exactly my point, Asher doesn't have that urban appeal to be accepted yet and as soon as I heard the first 2 riffs to "I Love College" I thought it was a good song with a bad angle because it was "too suburban" which was Shwayze's problem.......

If Asher doesn't get it, he might be just another white rapper nobody will remember especially if Eminem does come out this year.......

I find it funny how you people ***** and complain about "Hip-Hop losing it's way". But when someone like Asher Roth brings some degree of classic Hip-Hop back to the mainstream, he's brushed off as a "joke" or a mainstream perpetuated hoax.

Roth = New Age Beastie Boys.

^^^That's exactly my point, Asher doesn't have that urban appeal to be accepted yet and as soon as I heard the first 2 riffs to "I Love College" I thought it was a good song with a bad angle because it was "too suburban" which was Shwayze's problem.......

If Asher doesn't get it, he might be just another white rapper nobody will remember especially if Eminem does come out this year.......

"I Love College" is a universal topic. Urban or Suburban, people can relate to the college life. Plus I'm a firm believer that the Urban market rarely buys records...but that's my opinion.

Last edited:
James Keaze said:
I find it funny how you people ***** and complain about "Hip-Hop losing it's way". But when someone like Asher Roth brings some degree of classic Hip-Hop back to the mainstream, he's brushed off as a "joke" or a mainstream perpetuated hoax.

Roth = New Age Beastie Boys.

"I Love College" is a universal topic. Urban or Suburban, people can relate to the college life. Plus I'm a firm believer that the Urban market rarely buys records...but that's my opinion.

"I Love College" isnt a universal topic or theme. Most folks in the world dont go to college, or are aware of college rituals like beer pong. That is for the norm only in upper middle class to upper class (mostly white) suburban kids around 17-24. Trust me, as a college student from the ghetto, there arent many students for the city here, let alone black or latino kids.

And PS, comparing Asher Roth to the Beastie Boys is damn near blasphemy in the world of Hip Hop.

This cat will more than likely burn out like most commercial rappers, nothing makes him different than the rest of them.

-1-

Last edited:
The song & video are that of a suburban college party.......

If he doesn't get that Urban appeal or co-sign soon he'll have issues.

I think it's ironic that he has everyone from Jay-Z to Akon to Andre3000k praising him yet none appear on his album or has given him the "Stamp" to the Urban market........

But why does Asher have to focus his music outside of his targeted demographic? Asher could go platinum multiple times off just the Suburban/College consumer. It would be stupid (just using what was said on this page) if he focused on the "Urban" market when according to Noble and RedScare, most people in that market [Urban] can't relate to College Humor style music.

Now the reason why I compared Asher to the Beastie Boys is because both acts have that John Belushi "Animal House" lyrical content. The party hard, rebel against the system, Suburban White kids mentality. I'm in no way shape or form implicating that Asher will have a career as lucrative as the Beastie Boys, but the similarities are there and arguably undeniable.

Asher does not need the Urban market to be successful. I'm up for a debate on this.

Well the answer to his apeal isnt obvious in all 50 states. In certain parts of the country, Suburban and Urban kids are starting to form common grounds and friendships. (This is the Barrack era afterall) So what you find is that the different styles of peoples are starting to be much cooler with each other, partying together. A lot of Urban people are starting to like the Suburban people and vice versa even though they didnt 10 years ago.

Asher is pretty much the archeotype of "that cool white dude that you have as a friend" and he embodies that appeal. Like for example rich Suburban kids get way more dimes/hot party girls to come to their parties as opposed to hood ass people who usually attract the hoes and the hood rats. So in a college environment a lot of black people are down with white people. But in places like the dirty south that might not be the case. In L.A. and The Bay Area for example, everyone is cool with everyone. In professional industries everyone is cool with everyone. In smaller cities and towns, the races are more divided.

Having said that, Asher appeals to that bigger city forward movement of blacks and whites getting along, but still being themselves. As opposed to some white dude acting all black (eminem) or some black dude that acts overly white and wishes he was white. Now they can just be themselves because we are bigger than that now. We understand each other better.

Thank you internet and media.

Robot Sunset said:
Well the answer to his apeal isnt obvious in all 50 states. In certain parts of the country, Suburban and Urban kids are starting to form common grounds and friendships. (This is the Barrack era afterall) So what you find is that the different styles of peoples are starting to be much cooler with each other, partying together. A lot of Urban people are starting to like the Suburban people and vice versa even though they didnt 10 years ago.

Asher is pretty much the archeotype of "that cool white dude that you have as a friend" and he embodies that appeal. Like for example rich Suburban kids get way more dimes/hot party girls to come to their parties as opposed to hood ass people who usually attract the hoes and the hood rats. So in a college environment a lot of black people are down with white people. But in places like the dirty south that might not be the case. In L.A. and The Bay Area for example, everyone is cool with everyone. In professional industries everyone is cool with everyone. In smaller cities and towns, the races are more divided.

Having said that, Asher appeals to that bigger city forward movement of blacks and whites getting along, but still being themselves. As opposed to some white dude acting all black (eminem) or some black dude that acts overly white and wishes he was white. Now they can just be themselves because we are bigger than that now. We understand each other better.

Thank you internet and media.

Masterfully expressed and dead on.

Up for debate? Okay.......

Name ONE white rapper that is remotely relevant that didn't need the Urban Appeal to blow up.......

Irrelevant question as the topic of debate pertains to Asher Roth in THIS current business model---not one of the past.

Last edited:
Back