An article i stumbled over might explain why...

Olie

Older artists start to lose our interest over time.

researchers showed how we prefer artwork and artists with potential to win awards over those that actually have, and prefer restaurants and chefs with the potential to be the next big thing in dining over the ones who have already made their name. In a particularly clever study, they compared two versions of Facebook ads for a real stand-up comedian. In the first version, critics said “he is the next big thing” and “everybody’s talking about him.” In the second version, critics said he “could be the next big thing,” and that “in a year, everybody could be talking about him.” The ad that focused on his potential got significantly more clicks and likes.

The Surprising Secret to Selling You | Psychology Today

Somehow i think someone like Eminem knows this, go and count the amount of times he has said something like "this is just the beginning" or just in his latest song he says "I'm beginning to feel like a rap god". Constantly convincing people he has more potential to move upwards to something greater.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Somehow i think someone like Eminem knows this, go and count the amount of times he has said something like "this is just the beginning" or just in his latest song he says "I'm starting to feel like a rap god". Constantly convincing people he has more potential to move upwards to something greater.

Thoughts?

interesting article. If anything it proves why people get behind artitst like Rich Homie Quan.

I listened to Type of way by him and it sounds like The Goliath Effect | Dan Zarrella so many dislikes meaning people are spreading the message to recruit people to take down a Goliath aka a person who's trying to enter into the system of music that they hate. That would be my guess anyway. I don't think you can break down anyone's popularity to one thing, it's a combination of many factors. The Goliath effect is an interesting one i spend a lot of time thinking about though, so many different pieces to the puzzle I'm trying to bring together to really understand how to get popularity my way.

EDIT: thinking about it the Goliath effect could link into this article, some of us favoring those who pretend to be everything and others favoring the ones who are aiming to become everything (david). Except the "Goliath" who claims to be everything has more popularity and less likeability. (i would speculate whether the heightened popularity was produced organically or from promotion though.)

Intresting how Rich Home Quan on YouTube has related videos to the exact same type of "I'm the biggest and best artists" linked on the sidebar as related.

Last edited:
here's the original study report that is cited in the first article

http://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Publicat...rton_b87536ee-13dd-464f-a65a-8dff3f6c5f8b.pdf

an interesting read (even with the heavy stats bias necessary for publishing such studies). For me there were some missing pieces in the analysis, as some of the bias could well come from age of the participants (no analysis by age of participants is indicated in the results and would make for an interesting determination of bias in one direction or the other - my own experiences with teaching suggest that younger students are more likely to favour something novel rather than something tested and true) as well as social orientation - those who afraid of risk taking (and therefore value actual success and achievement over potential for the same) and those who revel in risk taking (and therefore are more likely to value the potential for success and achievement over actual achievement and success)

the goliath effect has a corollary effect known as the tall poppy syndrome, wherein people hack at the ankles of those who have been excessively successful in their view - kind of looking for the clay feet of the gods

Last edited:
Psychology is everything, if u study psychology you will become a very smart person...i use psychology in my everyday dealings with people and use my knowledge to my advantage, ... it also helps me understand people and i can communicate with them better.

I studied psychology in college (admittedly failed it) but felt like i took away parts that served me and the learning in it has never really stopped, it's so useful when it comes to understanding behavior, especially on large scales.

it is about marketing and branding - selling yourself as having the potential to be the next big thing rather than being the current big thing

Novelty is all well and good but we're talking about maintaining a career through a long period of time. What makes the difference between Eminem and Nas for example both are putting out albums while Eminem is still well above average popularity and some kids nowdays don't know who nas is.

Last edited:
It's like dropping a stone in water. The bigger the stone, the longer and wider the waves it makes.

The same thing with people. The more impact you have, the longer people will remember you.

yes, but in the face of novelty/potential as the marker of popularity that explanation does not fly - eminem should be sinking like a stone because of how much success he has already had.

What does explain his success, and madonna's and a few others, is the way in which they keep reinventing their music, their public image and themselves - whilst what they do and appear to be remains novel, they remain novel as well

Novelty is all well and good but we're talking about maintaining a career through a long period of time. What makes the difference between Eminem and Nas for example both are putting out albums while Eminem is still well above average popularity and some kids nowdays don't know who nas is.
Considering that Nas started out about ten years earlier, I don't think this a accurate comparison. Nas has a bigger catalog and his last album was critically acclaimed. He can still tour and get endorsements (not like Em). But not bad for someone with 20 + years in the game.

On another note, I think a big part of this discussion is how people like Prince or Sting sustain greatness. Sure their album sales are nowhere near where they were in there prime but they still can make a healthy living as an artist.

I'd take a loyal fan base that will support my work for 30 plus years over being the next hot thing any day.

He's still doing ok but my point is he went out of the spotlight faster, no ones really telling all their friends about the next Nas album coming out, only really deep hip hop heads.

I would add also Eminem has a crazy loyal fanbase of stans underneath all the casual listeners too, but it's not really about Eminem or Nas.

Last edited:

Somehow i think someone like Eminem knows this, go and count the amount of times he has said something like "this is just the beginning" or just in his latest song he says "I'm beginning to feel like a rap god". Constantly convincing people he has more potential to move upwards to something greater.

Thoughts?

When you're young, you want to be part of the in crowd and feel special being part of the trendsetting crowd.It's rewarding to be in tune with all the new trends, new music etc.. As you get older, you're more comfortable with yourself as an individual and being accepted by peers is not as important as being yourself. You have to be careful as an artist not to try and cater to this audience because they'll abandon you at the end of the day as soon as the next popular novelty act comes along. Speaking of novelty act, I couldnt help but laugh about the Trinidad James/Martin lawrence rumor of Trinidad James being sued for biting Jerome from Martin(lol).

http://www.vibe.com/article/trinidad-james-being-sued-martin-creator-copyright-infringement

Last edited:
I agree to some extent - Gangnam style a one hit wonder which will be forgotten by the next generation then there are people who constantly trend set their entire career, some will be forgotten some wont. Mainly the gimmicky ones will be forgotten, the ones who set trends with their music and not their teeth or some silly dance will be remembered.

Psychology is everything, if u study psychology you will become a very smart person...i use psychology in my everyday dealings with people and use my knowledge to my advantage, ... it also helps me understand people and i can communicate with them better.

That and Philosophy...

Philosophy covers the kinds of things that science (i.e. Psychology) can't answer.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Back