Anyone working with out-of-state clients? I need advice

JAB3

What's up Producers,

I have been stumbling over something for some time now, and I would like for you guys to shed some light.

Basically, I just relocated back to the East Coast after being in Dallas for 7 years. During my time there, I was trying to produce an upcoming act (which include myself and two others).
It was basically Gospel Hip Hop.

A couple of times, I almost got burned because one of my members let some of my tracks get out into the open without my approval. After that I laid the rule down that when you come to my project studio, any lyrics that are laid down on my tracks stay in the studio; And definitely no instrumentals leave the pad. I know it sounds cruel, that he had to drive all the way out to the crib to do tracks, but I had to start covering my ground. I also slowly began to see things that made me uncomfortable with working with him. Not to mention his secretiveness. And to think I sunk 100's-1000's into equipment and time over the years, and not once did I charge him a dime.

Being discouraged, I basically gave him all of the songs that we had completed, before I broke camp, because I just wanted to clean my hands and start over.
I didn't want to be reminded of the past.He was hinting that he wanted to work remote with me. But I don't think I am going to take this route.

Anyhow, now I am ready to take my production to the next level (establishing an indie label, publishing and songwriting). Being in between Baltimore and D.C., and not far from Philly, there is a new ocean of potentiality to tap into.

However, I am still curious about whether or not any of you have or are working with lyricists/singers that are out-of-state. My general questions are centered arounde knowing what your process is for doing business abroad. How do you entrust your tracks with people you can't keep an eye on? How do you hook up to do a session in long distance collaboration.

Hit me back with how y'all operate (I guess I was in Texas too long). Thanks once again.

Peace,
JAB3

Let me apologize in advance for this completely off topic post. Now to the goods..

I live in the D.C. area and am looking for some talented producers to work with. I'd be very interested in hearing some of your material. If you are looking to hook up with artists in this area respond to this post with an e-mail address or e-mail me at cliche2k3@hotmail.com I'm also looking to establish an indie label, etc. so at the very least we may have some business to discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
let that fool make his own beats. this is a business and why would you entrust your product to someone you dont trust. you got burned a COUPLE of times. woulda been some furniture movin over here!!!!

JAB3 said:
What's up Producers,

How do you hook up to do a session in long distance collaboration.

Hit me back with how y'all operate (I guess I was in Texas too long). Thanks once again.

Peace,
JAB3

That's hard as hell. Unfortunately it's a trust issue. Yo gotta have that trust. (I have a rep for being physical & running with some undesirables so the fear factor helps a little)I established my rep before gunplay was so heavy so I'm vunerable now just like everyone else.If ya cant trust em, you cant work with them unless they sign some type of contract. Trust means everything in my circle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only two ways to truly cover your a**...

1. Copyright your music.. can cost.. but its worth it .. if it's music you are going to use.

2. Give a copy of your music (audio) and a copy of the music in notes.. (there is software that will convert it for you) to a lawyer.. the lawyer will date it and do what he has to do..

Oh there is one more way.. may favorite.. slap the taste out the mouth of whoever steals your ish..

Vibes!

heres the answer!!!!!!

if your sending your instrumentals out , record a voice over all your tracks so they cant record over them without hearing a sample of your voice or something. and just make all your transactions strictly for the instrumentals, let the artist take care of the recording. you can always give your input over the phone on what your vision is and what direction the artist can go with the music. hopefully you find an out of town artist serious enough to do some traveling.

Back