Any Questions for Andrew Lloyd can get answered RIGHT HERE

@as20gp: solid advice.

@alxgry
man sound designing just ain't for me. I'm a plug and play . . . "find a preset and let's groove on the keys" type of guy. my creativity grow cold & shit spending that time tweaking all them parameters.

@alxgry
man sound designing just ain't for me. I'm a plug and play . . . "find a preset and let's groove on the keys" type of guy. my creativity grow cold & shit spending that time tweaking all them parameters.
I kinda feel the same way, but I think designing sounds that are unique to your beat may be a way to get a leg up.

I kinda feel the same way, but I think designing sounds that are unique to your beat may be a way to get a leg up.

and into designing sounds for sample libraries
that you can put together and sell on your site
from
alxgy platinum drumkits
to
alxgy magic fingers piano licks kit

all generic names for those kits but I see them on alot of producers pages

i just experiment, sound designing is a lot easier when you have a controller that has the option.. right now im using the oxygen61.. 9 faders, 8 knobs and transport.. makes life a lot easier tweaking sounds when youre using knobs and faders compared to the mouse

thats really how i got into it, and repetition, now i know how to achieve a certain sound by scratch with different effects and techniques. People ask me why i use Reason if i cant use VSTI's and its because i can create every type of sound i would need

just experiment and then learn the names of whatever your doing later, i just like having full control of whatever im doing

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

and yea i would design a refill for Propellerheads lol, theyre fronting on me though

and into designing sounds for sample libraries
that you can put together and sell on your site
from
alxgy platinum drumkits
to
alxgy magic fingers piano licks kit

all generic names for those kits but I see them on alot of producers pages

'diversified investments' you could say. This is excellent advice, definitly something all of us could look into.

Everywhere you look you see the people who are successful with this trying to spread out over multiple revenue streams. I think that along with some other things is one of the main keys to success.

Question:

One of the producers I work with always gets this question, and how do you feel about it:
TYPICAL RAPPER STORY

"I am looking for someone to do beats for me. I have no money so I can't pay, but I know XXX and XXX, and I will give you promotion, and a royalty percentage after I perform the track at shows and sell the album on online. Snoop had Dre, and Gucci had Zaytoven."

what do u think of the indie game right now?

i love it, lots of dope artists and its easy to find your niche. Major labels are basically moving like indie ones, they just put out albums because they need to make money for themselves, but too many independent artists have shown how to make a lot of money off this music shit

some of my best friends are high quality and high selling indie artists , musical freedom and the money goes through less hands in my opinion

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Question:

One of the producers I work with always gets this question, and how do you feel about it:

depends on the situation honestly, id only do that if im doing the whole tape/whole project.. because you not gonna get a lot of money off the royalty percentage and royalties period, but thats a true point artist and producer relationships are super important

but you gotta make sure youre going to get a piece of the pie, write up a contract that you get 10% of the show performances or something, so if he gets 700 to perform, you making at least a LITTLE something, its much easier for an artist to make money in this music shit than a producer

like now unless im A & Ring your project, im not doing free work for any artist

i love it, lots of dope artists and its easy to find your niche. Major labels are basically moving like indie ones, they just put out albums because they need to make money for themselves, but too many independent artists have shown how to make a lot of money off this music shit

some of my best friends are high quality and high selling indie artists , musical freedom and the money goes through less hands in my opinion

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

depends on the situation honestly, id only do that if im doing the whole tape/whole project.. because you not gonna get a lot of money off the royalty percentage and royalties period, but thats a true point artist and producer relationships are super important

but you gotta make sure youre going to get a piece of the pie, write up a contract that you get 10% of the show performances or something, so if he gets 700 to perform, you making at least a LITTLE something, its much easier for an artist to make money in this music shit than a producer

like now unless im A & Ring your project, im not doing free work for any artist

executive producer
see alot of producers have
a more than decent recording rig
know where to get high-quality mixes for cheap
and know where to get a album/mixtape master for the low-low

if you make all the instrumentals,record the artist,paid for the mixing,the mastering
you can for sure recoup all the expenses and take a large chunk of money after that...
ppl say music is free....but I see alot of indie artists making money off of itune,tunecore,CDbaby
alot with merch and shows
events held with sponsor like boost mobile,have a small concert at the mall set up a little stage get all the local dance groups involved and try to get a larger rapper/singer to come and do a small set....they came to see LiL' blank but you are the main act so your city gets to know more about you and your music..great way to build buzz
it just depends if you can convince companies to sponsor the event..postive/crossover music will rule

Last edited:
Weren't you on carter 4? Wouldn't call that a nobody.

lol appreciated homie, hopefully i can get some more success that surpasses the carter IV success

---------- Post added 01-31-2012 at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-29-2012 at 10:40 PM ----------

bumpin this up, weekends over but still down to answer any and everything

Ok, I'll bite.

What's your favourite form of promotion?

How important do you think it is to create an established IMAGE for yourself that is UNIQUE - how much more important is this compared to straight up hustle?

What are some 'hidden gems' as far as gear that you own? Keyboards, instruments, MIDI, software, VST's, ANYTHING. Stuff that you think is very underrated but plays an important role in your music making.

Thanks a lot for doing this!

1. What arrangement do you think works best when showcasing/shopping beats? For Rap, and Pop

Ok, I'll bite.

What's your favourite form of promotion?

How important do you think it is to create an established IMAGE for yourself that is UNIQUE - how much more important is this compared to straight up hustle?

What are some 'hidden gems' as far as gear that you own? Keyboards, instruments, MIDI, software, VST's, ANYTHING. Stuff that you think is very underrated but plays an important role in your music making.

right now ima big fan of using Soundcloud to showcase your talent, if you properly tag it you can gain a lot of fans of your music, i dont use it as often as i should just because everytime i make a beat it usually has a destination already, but i def want to start using it more in the future. I love using websites like Soundcloud and Bandcamp

uh as far as an image.. i dont know about an image for the PERSON.. but i do think having something people can associate with your brand is very important.. like a tag or a logo. I wouldnt say its more important than the hustle, but it can make hustling a lot easier when people can quickly associate your name to a tag, logo, song, SOMETHING.

as far as hidden gems, um shit i dont have any really.. I use Reason 6 and thats it.. but i guess a hidden gem in reason is using a lot of the effects, and transition FX can and will make or break a song.. as annoying or little as it seems.. transition fx are super important and can help stop you from loading up a simple beat with a bunch of unnecessary shit.

oh yea and dont disregard your programs stock drums.. with some effects and time you can turn em into slappers

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Thanks a lot for doing this!

1. What arrangement do you think works best when showcasing/shopping beats? For Rap, and Pop

when youre shopping beats? i mean you wanna have it in song format already, unless they ask for songs a certain length. and aim to go no longer than 3:30 when arranging your stuff out.. because thats how long singles in the majority.

dont have super long intros, dont have super long verses, and make sure you can tell the difference between the hook and the verses especially in Rap and Pop music which are so hook driven in 2012

Good thread and advice glad to see you doing it big I rememberwhen u first joined and had a 1000 post in a mth lol but my question to u is how do u promote without spamming? I hv a reverbnation, soundcloud, and bandcanmp is it just push music til u get heard or give away music online this has been an issue for me, I hv ppl that love my style but not enough.

Yo

Boxers or briefs?

j/k

Naw man good advice. Appreciate you taking the time.

What is the best way you find to submit your beats. I mean format wise. Is there a standard? Such as *********? Or just send as an attachment in email.

Good thread and advice glad to see you doing it big I rememberwhen u first joined and had a 1000 post in a mth lol but my question to u is how do u promote without spamming? I hv a reverbnation, soundcloud, and bandcanmp is it just push music til u get heard or give away music online this has been an issue for me, I hv ppl that love my style but not enough.

haha yea man i been on here a lil minute ,racked up the posts quick during classes but honestly i think the best thing you can do is really cultivate your fanbase that you do have

getting 100% support from 10-20 people >>> trying to get support from 1000-2000 people. When you really go and reach out to people they'll spread the word that youre dope and super cool too. Word of mouth is still the best promo to me, so you know reach out to the people who leave you messages (that arent artists/producers). Like i know i got a lot of fans of my work that i did with Mac Miller and i've been chopping it up with them and they been messaging me to upload new music, super excited

and im sure i can get some money from them. you'll be shocked at how supportive real fans/people who arent artists/producers are.. lol they'll get you in touch with bunch of different people, i think Reverbnation and Soundcloud are great ways to do that

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Yo

Boxers or briefs?

j/k

Naw man good advice. Appreciate you taking the time.

What is the best way you find to submit your beats. I mean format wise. Is there a standard? Such as *********? Or just send as an attachment in email.

haha man i use gmail to send beats, some a & rs and artist get scared when they sending records back because its so easy to hack into gmails servers that records leak a lot but i use gmail to send you know the standard 3-4 beats. But if im sending a LARRRRGE amount of beats, i usually use *********.. i used to use Mediafire, or megaupload but those sites are going through it. So ********* i use.

i'm trying to get more A & Rs to use DropBox or SugarSync because they can hold more space (2 GBs for Dropbox, 5 GBs for SugarSync for free), and you can put apps for them on your phones which most A & Rs/artists have but its hard to get them to change their ways lol

but yea Gmail or ********* for larger files (sessions, 7+ beats)

Back