9 rappers who pretended to be rich, but were actually flat broke

SFTRAXX

West Coast Rap Producer
"...many of the artists on television are actors, and that the seemingly authentic lifestyle that young people are emulating is merely a facade. What’s most pathetic is that many of the artists selling this imagery to teenagers are in their mid to late thirties, so they’re a little too grown to be thinking and dressing like kids."

:4theloveofgod::4theloveofgod::4theloveofgod:

Read the full article here.

"...many of the artists on television are actors, and that the seemingly authentic lifestyle that young people are emulating is merely a facade. What’s most pathetic is that many of the artists selling this imagery to teenagers are in their mid to late thirties, so they’re a little too grown to be thinking and dressing like kids."

I don't see the problem. Most people pretend to be something they are not. Everybody lies. That is a part of life. There is a little truth in every lie I tell!

Great article and the fact is that the artists who are selling these falsehoods to teens and young adults are perpetuating a Peter Pan syndrome that is not but seems to be exclusive to Hip Hop.

I think exaggeration is all apart of the artform. Rappers being broke is not news, shit, regular people go broke living beyond their means all the time.
Shit is escapism, no more than actors on the big screen.

I think exaggeration is all apart of the artform. Rappers being broke is not news, shit, regular people go broke living beyond their means all the time.
Shit is escapism, no more than actors on the big screen.

I agree.

Aint nobody wanna hear about a broke, depressed, miserable fool.

jaa7pj5.jpg

We wanna see them make it rain...

Why do the authors of this topic act like they've made a groundbreaking discovery?

Last edited:
Why do the authors of this topic act like they've made a groundbreaking discovery?

'Cause Hip Hop journalism is on its death bed for those who know damn near every blog, etc. isn't really breaking anything audiences haven't already heard and/or read about.

Last edited:
Rappers going broke .. That's nothing new.. But alot of them get over on the irs ... If they do a show or host something and take money under the table.. That shit doesn't get accounted for and alot of them do that..

What cats usually get hit with is "tax evasion" charges...

The bi-product of being "bout that life"...

I find it funny that people think owing millions in taxes and refusing to pay makes you "broke". Living out your means, sure. Dame Dash isn't even "broke". I think people like to believe these guys are worse off than they are to make themselves feel better.

Suge Knight is "broke" because he had to sell a multimillion dollar mansion, can't buy half million dollar earrings anymore and last I seen him he was in a 2012 740i beamer. Ludacris is broke because he played the system into thinking he made $55k on a stagnant year...a year when he got no movie checks and put out no music, doesn't matter when he's still sitting on millions, but has the right lawyers in place to protect them by getting his support set up based on an obviously downplayed salary. The dude can easily make $15-20k for a walk thru cash(earnings easily hidden), HE's NOT HURTING. Same for Bow Wow. Not the same for Nas who tried to show up to court stuntin and got hit with child support per month equivalent to what Luda said he made in a year and never managed to make payments. Next we'll call Stevie J broke because he doesn't pay child support even while making $25k an episode of LAHH and having millions to his name.

These aren't the guys "lying about what they got". Which one of these guys are out talking about ballin' since things fell apart for them? When they were gettin it, it was worth talking about. Save that for these cats 1 or 2 records in without a top 40 hit acting like they got Luda & Bow Wow money.

Last edited:
I find it funny that people think owing millions in taxes and refusing to pay makes you "broke". Living out your means, sure. Dame Dash isn't even "broke". I think people like to believe these guys are worse off than they are to make themselves feel better.

Suge Knight is "broke" because he had to sell a multimillion dollar mansion, can't buy half million dollar earrings anymore and last I seen him he was in a 2012 740i beamer. Ludacris is broke because he played the system into thinking he made $55k on a stagnant year...a year when he got no movie checks and put out no music, doesn't matter when he's still sitting on millions, but has the right lawyers in place to protect them by getting his support set up based on an obviously downplayed salary. The dude can easily make $15-20k for a walk thru cash(earnings easily hidden), HE's NOT HURTING. Same for Bow Wow. Not the same for Nas who tried to show up to court stuntin and got hit with child support per month equivalent to what Luda said he made in a year and never managed to make payments. Next we'll call Stevie J broke because he doesn't pay child support even while making $25k an episode of LAHH and having millions to his name.

These aren't the guys "lying about what they got". Which one of these guys are out talking about ballin' since things fell apart for them? When they were gettin it, it was worth talking about. Save that for these cats 1 or 2 records in without a top 40 hit acting like they got Luda & Bow Wow money.

Peter Gunz was on the Breakfast club saying that them love and hip hop checks are $2500 per show. You have one zero too many(lol). Charlemagne couldn't believe the pay was that low. Gunz explained he was facing homelessness so he gladly accepted them checks. After Funkmaster Flex tried to called Dame broke, Dame said it's feminine for a man to be counting another man's pockets. He also said he's"slave broke" but "Indie rich". It reminds of an old Davey D interview I heard with Mc Hammer a long time ago. Davey D kept asking Hammer about his finances and Hammer finally had enough and said something to the effect of Davey why are you so interested in my wealth. I have more money than you. That promptly shut his azz up.

Last edited:
Peter Gunz was on the Breakfast club saying that them love and hip hop checks are $2500 per show. You have one zero too many(lol). Charlemagne couldn't believe the pay was that low. Gunz explained he was facing homelessness so he gladly accepted them checks.

Peter Gunz ain't Stevie J. Supply and demand. Stevie makes like $27,500 per episode to be exact. That's like saying Rich Homie Quan makes...when we talkin about Usher. Who do that?

Trust me, i'm one of the few up here who DOES understand how these salaries work. Plenty of broke pretenders. Plenty of filthy rich established artists as well. Stevie's renewed contracts twice and is one of the main reasons viewers watch. i know all that without watching. It's like Nene Leaks making millions more than others on her show.

Last edited:
Peter Gunz ain't Stevie J. Supply and demand. Stevie makes like $27,500 per episode to be exact. That's like saying Rich Homie Quan makes...when we talkin about Usher. Who do that?

Trust me, i'm one of the few up here who DOES understand how these salaries work. Plenty of broke pretenders. Plenty of filthy rich established artists as well. Stevie's renewed contracts twice and is one of the main reasons viewers watch. i know all that without watching. It's like Nene Leaks making millions more than others on her show.

Makes sense. Does Joseline or whatever stevie's chick name is make the same as him?

Makes sense. Does Joseline or whatever stevie's chick name is make the same as him?

The real question is how much Mona Scott and VH1 makes off of the reality show. What's the current commercial ad rate vs ratings points, things of that nature. I find it fascinating when it comes to the talk about money how so much of it is placed on the actors n rappers vs the companies n corporations that are obviously making the lionshare of the revenue. I would love to see Forbes do a Top 10 richest record label lists with the yearly numbers attached to it. Then do a Top 10 richest music industry executive list

Last edited:
Ludacris is broke because he played the system into thinking he made $55k on a stagnant year...a year when he got no movie checks and put out no music, doesn't matter when he's still sitting on millions, but has the right lawyers in place to protect them by getting his support set up based on an obviously downplayed salary.

Exactly. Person writing the article doesn't seem to have a clue as to what they're talking about and just wants to shit on rappers for "promoting an unattainable lifestyle".

On the other hand, Chief Keef raps about "crusing in my rari in my louis loafers" and then rolls around in a ****ing Jeep in the music video. Good example of one of those "cats 1 or 2 records in without a top 40 hit acting like they got Luda and Bow Wow money". He could've at least rented a Ferrari for the video shoot.

The real question is how much Mona Scott and VH1 makes off of the reality show. What's the current commercial ad rate vs ratings points, things of that nature. I find it fascinating when it comes to the talk about money how so much of it is placed on the actors n rappers vs the companies n corporations that are obviously making the lionshare of the revenue. I would love to see Forbes do a Top 10 richest record label lists with the yearly numbers attached to it. Then do a Top 10 richest music industry executive list

Smart folks know when to downplay their companie's revenues and net worth. Baby was the first one who I ever saw who disputed Forbes list and stated he should have been ranked higher. Forbes explained to him how they come up with the numbers and asked him to provide proof if he wanted them to amend the list.

Last edited:
@GoldenEagle, exactly. It's like the guy who "exposes" people for fake watches without realizing they may have been customized at a higher cost, or bought from a jeweler under the idea they were getting something authentic meaning the same money was shelled out, so it's not like you're proving they're broke, just that their jeweler is a crook. Thanks to everything going "viral' these days, we as humans have developed an obsession with seeing others down. Anyone can hide behind a screen name and throw salt from a distance, yet they tend to miss the more obvious stuff. It's disturbing.

@LegalDollaz not only the reality show, but anything these guys attach themselves to that she can convince them is due to her brand. We're talking former rappers, video chix/strippers, ect. most of which had some type of buzz on their own before are now giving percentages of club appearances, ect. because "she made them hot". She has some of them under assigned management for all their ventures so she can drain them. Crazier than a 360 deal. Mona Scott is a savage, lol. Funny thing is, I have no clue what she makes. It would probably piss these guys off because she's not out there making a fool of herself every night to earn it.

Back