50 Cent Leaves Interscope/Shady/Aftermath

j.troup

www.AllHipHop.com said:
(AllHipHop News) The end of an era has occurred. 24 hours after Dr. Dre and Eminem recreate the iconic 2002 XXL cover with Jimmy Iovine instead of 50, 50 Cent has announced he and G-Unit Records has left Interscope Records and signs with Caroline/Capitol/UMG.

The deal places 50 Cent and G-Unit Records in Caroline Records, the independent service division of Capitol Records, making 50 Cent an independent artist for the first time in over 13 years. Former boss and current friend Eminem spoke on 50’s new signing in a press release statement:

Both myself and Shady Records are grateful to have had the chance to play a part in 50′s career. Shady simply would not be what it is without 50 Cent. I’ve developed a great friendship with 50 over the years, and that’s not going to change. We know 50 will have success in his new situation, and we remain supporters of both him and G-Unit.

50 Cent’s first project scheduled to be released through his new label will be his highly anticipated and often delayed album Animal Ambition which is set to be released June 3RD. The album can be pre-ordered on March 18th and those who do will receive two new tracks. 50 Cent will release a song and video each week until the June 3rd release date.

50 Cent has a long history with almost signing with Capitol Records. Back in 2001, Capitol Records A&R Joe “3H” Weinberger attempted to sign 50 Cent, but was denied by Capitol Records execs over 50’s aggressive persona. Back in July of 2010, Capitol Records’ National Director of Urban Promotion, Craig Davis announced that 50 Cent and G-Unit Records had already signed to Capitol Records. However, less than a week after that announcement, 50 Cent released a statement calling Davis an “idiot” and saying “out of nowhere he comes out, and you can tell he’s drunk or some sh*t.”

I was wondering when this going to happen. I'm pretty sure 50 had a 5 album deal. I'm also pretty sure that after GRODT blew up, that contract got re-negotiated to make that 5th album be a Greatest Hits compilation, which would satisfy the last album requirement.

Which, in looking at it that way, it makes sense why the 50 Cent Greatest Hits hasn't been released by Interscope. Cuz they knew 50 was leaving after his contract was up, and they were basically stalling him out.

I think his contract may have TIMED out (which was probably his plan all along), and he was just doing these side projects to keep his name hot in the streets, until he got his new situation.

It'll be interesting to see what the 50 Cent reboot is like. Through all the missteps over the years (the pre-occupation with the beef with Cam'ron, naming his album Curtis, and the beef with Ross, the attempts at bringing back the "old" 50), he's had some pretty good songs that could have re-invented his career, had they not been mishandled (Ayo Technology, Follow My Lead, etc)

50 "technically" being an independent now, is in a very interesting situation that really, only a few hip hop artist have been in...

1) His name is still very relevant, well beyond his prime. (Rare)

2) He doesn't NEED rap money. His revenue streams are diverse enough to where he never has to rap again in his life

3) He's still a very big draw. This gives him a lot of leverage as far as control when he negotiated this deal

It'll be interesting to see where 50 drives his OWN career.

Thoughts?

His past accomplishments are just that, past accomplishments. I will get interested in him when he starts making hit music again.

Thats funny because we were just talking about 50 today at work and I was mentioning him being in a great position because he has "f*ck you money" that most in the industry don't.

I think he was smart to wait out the contract if that is what he was doing (very likely). I am just curious as to whether Em had him on a 360 because I seem to remember Em is on a 360 with Dre so it would only seem likely he would do his best to pass it on to his artists (monkey see, monkey do).

Thats funny because we were just talking about 50 today at work and I was mentioning him being in a great position because he has "f*ck you money" that most in the industry don't.

I think he was smart to wait out the contract if that is what he was doing (very likely). I am just curious as to whether Em had him on a 360 because I seem to remember Em is on a 360 with Dre so it would only seem likely he would do his best to pass it on to his artists (monkey see, monkey do).

360's didn't exist back when Em and 50 signed their deals.

And best believe that Eminem is enough of a powerhouse where doesn't have to sign a 360.

And best believe that Eminem is enough of a powerhouse where doesn't have to sign a 360.

He doesn't...now

and yes when Em signed with Dre 360's existed, they have been around for a long time.

He doesn't...now

and yes when Em signed with Dre 360's existed, they have been around for a long time.

they was called 720 deals back then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since 50 don't need any money, he can pretty much release anything he wants whenever he wants as an independent. I've liked some of his 08, 09 mixtape songs. Not the same as back in 02 and GRODT but still decent street tracks. I just hope he don't try to revive as a mainstream artist by collabing with bieber or some shit like that lol.

he's been flopping for a while now. And he's independent yet signed to capitol? right. Also what has that label done with rap? seems he'd want to be where he has a big clique like roc nation, lol. Seriously though, he could be a true independent with his money and connections and just get a distribution deal or is that what this is?

Seems like these older artists are stuck in old thinking. Now you just put out a hot mixtape for free or a hit single on youtube and itunes and get radio play and sell albums online. Not sure why he feels he would need capitol at this point.

Last edited:
Would it be more benefitial for him if he "came back" with a new sound?

There is no "new sound". What's interesting is his pull on new artists; will he find and sign HIS Eminem/50cent or at least Drake?

You are just as good as your last hit and Fiddy's last hit is too long ago.

All the dumb****s saying 50 fell off haven't heard his last 3 mixtapes, dopest shit i heard in a while. Leaving Interscope is a really smart move IMO.

Since 50 don't need any money, he can pretty much release anything he wants whenever he wants as an independent. I've liked some of his 08, 09 mixtape songs. Not the same as back in 02 and GRODT but still decent street tracks. I just hope he don't try to revive as a mainstream artist by collabing with bieber or some shit like that lol.

Actually, going back mainstream is exactly what he needs to do.

50's biggest mistake was in trying to prove his street credibility after he had those commercial smash hits. He had...

In The Club
Magic Stick
21 Questions
Candy Shop
Just A Lil Bit
P.I.M.P
I Get Money

Then, once beefing with Cam'ron, Fat Joe, and eventually Rick Ross, he started trying to assert his street credibility by putting out super hood, super grimy songs.

The people (women...and by extension the men try to fcuk them) who made those afore mentioned songs the smash hits that they were, were alienated by 50's sudden change in direction, and onslaught of "I'm a dope dealer who still lives in my grandmama's basement" songs. They wanted some more Candy Shop. Some more Magic Stick. Some more Just A Lil Bit. Not that uber hardcore shit that he put out on BISD and those mix tapes.

That's where 50 messed up. He went from concentrating on making HIT RECORDS to trying to go back to making STREET records.

He let those beefs get him off his square.

50 is worth over $100 Million, still trying to convince people he's broke. Jay embraced his success and put it in his music. So did Puffy. So did Rick Ross. And they are still winning. 50's the only guy who's trying to STAY the same guy. It doesn't work like that.

50 signing to Capitol is as simple as this. In business, you never want to use your own money. You ALWAYS want to use OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY. And that's exactly what Capitol is...OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY.

Capitol is the label with the WORST track record with rappers of any label out there. I mean, ANY. So they are HUNGRY to get some traction in the rap world. And they would do just about anything to land a heavyweight veteran who still has as much pull as 50 Cent. So I'm sure that deal is one of the best deals that the hip hop world has ever seen. lol

So that's what the deal is about. Using other people's money to do whatever the hell you want to do.

I think it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Actually, going back mainstream is exactly what he needs to do.

50's biggest mistake was in trying to prove his street credibility after he had those commercial smash hits. He had...

In The Club
Magic Stick
21 Questions
Candy Shop
Just A Lil Bit
P.I.M.P
I Get Money

Then, once beefing with Cam'ron, Fat Joe, and eventually Rick Ross, he started trying to assert his street credibility by putting out super hood, super grimy songs.

The people (women...and by extension the men try to fcuk them) who made those afore mentioned songs the smash hits that they were, were alienated by 50's sudden change in direction, and onslaught of "I'm a dope dealer who still lives in my grandmama's basement" songs. They wanted some more Candy Shop. Some more Magic Stick. Some more Just A Lil Bit. Not that uber hardcore shit that he put out on BISD and those mix tapes.

That's where 50 messed up. He went from concentrating on making HIT RECORDS to trying to go back to making STREET records.

He let those beefs get him off his square.

50 is worth over $100 Million, still trying to convince people he's broke. Jay embraced his success and put it in his music. So did Puffy. So did Rick Ross. And they are still winning. 50's the only guy who's trying to STAY the same guy. It doesn't work like that.

50 signing to Capitol is as simple as this. In business, you never want to use your own money. You ALWAYS want to use OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY. And that's exactly what Capitol is...OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY.

Capitol is the label with the WORST track record with rappers of any label out there. I mean, ANY. So they are HUNGRY to get some traction in the rap world. And they would do just about anything to land a heavyweight veteran who still has as much pull as 50 Cent. So I'm sure that deal is one of the best deals that the hip hop world has ever seen. lol

So that's what the deal is about. Using other people's money to do whatever the hell you want to do.

I think it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Yes! He did a typical street ni66a move and loss...embracing and amplifying the ignorance. Street ni66as don't BUY music. 50 is too rich for anyone to attempt to perceive him in the street space he tries to affirm on his mixtapes. Towards the end...when he lost focus..shyt got real sloppy...Mase was even in the mix...40 glocc..need I say more. 50 isn't good at music business management.

I would rather see him as the "KAREEM "BIGGS" BURKE" on the executive producer credits and not the JAY Z. He needs to get his Michael Harris/Ronald "Slim" Williams on and fund an operation from the shadow's for someone else to run. Shyt, he should hire Damon Dash(deals/branding/contracts/A+r) and Suge Knight(evangelist,frontman,marketer) to be CEO/COO of a new G-unit venture. If I had 125 mil+ net worth I would kick them both 1.5-2 mil a year salary+bonuses/incentives for 3 years to make something happen. The banks would loan more...but he needs to stay lean financially.

50 Cent Leaves Interscope, Takes G-Unit Records Independent - Forbes
Much of his estimated $125 million net worth comes from non-musical ventures including SK Energy, SMS Audio and the remainder of his payout for the sale of his stake in Vitaminwater.

THIS is where 50 needs to put his undivided attention. Let someone else develop the music asset's, he needs to focus on getting more of these types deals done. Steve Stoute gets 1.5 million to be personal investment headhunter and G-Unit Board Chairman. 50 needs to be in that space where each album(if he still releases them) is actually an advertisement for a new product ala Jay Z.

G-Unit a billion dollar company in 5 years.

Last edited:
I said it before and i'll say it again... Ayo Technology and Follow My Lead were 50's "white america, safe pass" records. If gone that route he would've been where Jay is at today... safe and loved by America and every now and then he could give you the "i use to be hood" records... he ****ed up...

I always believed that that was Interscope's plan, they wanted to steer him in that direction but he just wanted to prove he could make GRODT music. Jimmy knew that 50 was going to do whatever the **** he wanted anyway and he just let him musically self destruct... it was very subtle, but if you payed attention throughout the years you can see Jimmy Xd him out of that little Dre/Em/50 clique... the more Dre and Em were properly marketed the more and more 50 was fading.

50 is not going to make commercial music, that was Interscope's plan... as an indie he's going to do what he always wanted to do; hood music.

It looks like maybe 50 caught feelings over the cover... or he's mad that they weren't letting him release his album.. either way, 50 cent shouldn't release an album unless he has a record in the charts which he doesn't... He doesn't have a cult following like a schoolboy q does.. he's just washed right now..

they was called 720 deals back then.

Really? I thought a 360 deal was revolutionary and only occured after labels saw Jay Z and Fif get rich with all these side deals. I got this from wikipedia but I havent located anything on 720 deals.

In the music industry, a 360 deal is a business relationship between an artist and a music industry company. The company agrees to provide financial support for the artist, including direct advances as well as funds for marketing, promotion and touring. The artist agrees to give the company a percentage of all of their income, including sales of recorded music, live performances and any other income.
The business arrangement is an alternative to the traditional recording contract. During the first decade of the 21st century, revenues from recorded music fell dramatically and the profit margins traditionally associated with the record industry disappeared. The 360 deal reflects the fact that much of a musician's income now comes from sources other than recorded music, such as live performance and merchandise.
History[edit]

According to Jeff Hanson, head of Silent Majority Group, the first new artist 360° deal was created by Hanson along with attorneys Jim Zumwalt and Kent Marcus, and Jim's partner Orville.[SUP][1][/SUP] It was submitted to Atlantic Records for the rock band Paramore while Hanson, Marcus and Zumwalt were employed by the label. Hanson has said there was strong resistance to the deal by both label and band and that he had to fight to make it happen, but believes his efforts were vindicated by the band's subsequent success, saying: "How else would a label have been patient enough to put the band on three straight Warped Tours and down-streamed the band to Fueled By Ramen all while losing millions of dollars?"[SUP][1][/SUP]
360 deals have been made by traditional record companies, as in Robbie Williams's pioneering deal with EMI in 2002.[SUP][2][/SUP] They have also been made between artists and promoters, as with Live Nation's 2007 deal with Madonna[SUP][3][/SUP] and 2008 deal with Jay-Z.[SUP][4][/SUP]
Criticism[edit]

360° deals have attracted criticism from various quarters. Panos Panay, CEO of online music platform Sonicbids, has said:
"If you want to find out the future of 360° deals, look at Motown in the late 60s. Motown was the pioneer of a 360° deal ... They owned your likeness, your touring, publishing, record royalties, told you what to wear, told you how to walk … It made for great entertainment but if you look at every one of those artists, what happened? Sooner or later they said, 'I’m not going to go on the road for 200 shows because you tell me so. I’m an artist! I’m a creative person!' Eventually all these artists left ... There’s two things we know about creativity: you can’t force it and you can’t really control it."[SUP][5][/SUP]

Last edited:
Back