4 AM Record Plant. Surf Club & Diddy.

Chase you guys have some crazy percussion, I'm tryna work on my drum game. I know your not a man of many words (LOL) so if you had to give one sentence of advice regarding percussion to a fellow producer tryna step his game up what would it be?

Peace, and thats a real good look with Diddy!

Ben

Last edited:
The-Chronics89 said:
Chase you guys have some crazy percussion, I'm tryna work on my drum game. I know your not a man of many words (LOL) so if you had to give one sentence of advice regarding percussion to a fellow producer tryna step his game up what would it be?

Peace, and thats a real good look with Diddy!

Ben

Practice on EQ'ing and learn the shape of sounds.

^^ Thanks bro! Much appreciated, I'll keep that in mind. Oh and just one more question, do you guys play your drums out as opposed to clicking them in to a sequencer? A lot of people say that playing em out gives the pattern more bounce and rhythm.

Keep grindin.

Last edited:
Meh... it sounds like a normal tribal percussive start. Wasn't really feeling the rverb on the percs though.

But screw that... you all looked like you all had fun, and that is all that matters...

oh Chase... we all know you ain't as "robotic" as you seem on the forums in real life, loosen up nigga.

Ben... can I share a sentence on percussion?

Create melody with percussion.

Insom said:
If I heard that Last night song with diddy singing by himself I would say "Garbage" but you put keshia cole on it and that wig model in the video and its a hit. I am not hating just wanted to know why he kept saying be suprised.

Lol... When I first heard that song, that's exactly how it was for me. I heard it and was like... "Diddy, c'mon man...." Once Keyshia came on it, feelin's changed quick.

With me... I make a melody with percussion a lone. So if I mute out all the musical instruments in a track, the percussion itself creates a melody.

For instance. You ever got a pencil, hit it on the table, and in your head had it go a long a say the alphabets, or the numbers? Striking the pencil on the table three times can have your mind recognize the output sound as "1,2,3", or "a,b,c". Or if you struck the table with the pencil 7 times, you can produce the words "mary had a little lamb". Depending if you are counting the syllables.

Of course you will have to consciously think of what you want the struck pencil sound to make.

It's the same theory with musical instruments. Percussion can be tuned to different notes. Melody is a collection of recognizable sounds.

So once you premeditate what you want the melody to be, create some percussion to match it. Without having any musical instruments. Try the pencil striking the table method first if you don't know about. You can make the pencil sing, rap, talk anything you consciously think of before.

Get what I'm saying?

vladb said:
Some of you are looking to deeply into a drum loop lol...
Yeah ,i just do drums and percussion ,I dont get all technical ,its just natural ,my Best advice to anyone who wanna make some crazy percussion track is ,dont quantize and pick good sounds. I used to suck at it but i studied my Homie Nicatyne and the rest was history.lol now i got my own drum style.

Broken Friday said:
What do they say is the backbone of Hip hop tracks?

I mean you're analysing the drums in the background of the video far too much...No big deal though.

Sounded straight to me.

lmao chase u's a fool... congrats homie!!!
and diddy sure knows how to film lol

looking forward to hearing more... keep us posted

dabeatdoctor1989 said:
dont quantize

Wut that got to do with crazy percussive tracks?

vladb said:
I mean you're analysing the drums in the background of the video far too much...No big deal though.

Sounded straight to me.

How? Cause I said I didn't like the reverb? Wouldn't analyzing too much would be like "yo... you need compress that kick more, those percs sound like they came from a toilet, and you should use acoustic drums". I never knew stating my disdain for a small effect was over analyzing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Broken Friday said:
Wut that got to do with crazy percussive tracks?

How? Cause I said I didn't like the reverb? Wouldn't analyzing too much would be like "yo... you need compress that kick more, those percs sound like they came from a toilet, and you should use acoustic drums". I never knew stating my disdain for a small effect was over analyzing.
www.myspace.com/dabeatdoctor

eclectic bounce....

Last edited by a moderator:
vladb said:
Nah, I mean like, it was just drums in the background lol.

I see what you saying, but reverb on anything to make it sound better, or worse. I just didn't like that particular reverb. I didn't say I didn't like the drums.

dbd, what is so crazy about the percussion on that track? Sounds pretty simple. Especially on the quantizing/no quantizing side. That track on the top of the playlist, is your best yet. Doesn't sound like you reused elements and percussion again, which is good. You produce J-Pop, and Electronica? Where?

vladb said:
Nah, I mean like, it was just drums in the background lol.
yeah cuz i really dont think that joint was done now that im thinking about it,it can't be ,at first when i heard it ,i was thinking he was gonna shop it like that ,cuz he is letting Diddy hear it ,but from listening to his other work this joint might end up being a banger.lol

I had the impression that Diddy made the drum track, or all three of them, and they are going to finish it u next time.

Back