2014 Making Your Own Drum Kits is Overrated & Played Out?

I've been using my own drum kits for a minute now. And just wonder if that's played out because it seems like all the(online) trap producers now are using a lex luger or zaytoven kit and all the boom bap and soul samplers are using a dilla or 9th's kit. What do you guys think?

Do you think your productions are subpar?
Do you not like how your kits sound?

If you want your own sounds, make your own sounds.
If you want a certain sound another producer has, and they have kits, use their kits.
I will say, making kits that sound like other producers' is overrated, because it's a waste of time.
If anything, use other producers' kits in your own creative way.

To me, the goal for a producer is to create WELL PRODUCED music, that YOU like. Focus on those two things and you'll be fine.

If you got the free time, check out my beat tape https://www.futureproducers.com/for...e-your-music-give-receive-feedback/21-464044/ ,in which I used my own kits and other producers' kits. Feedback is appreciated.

Well said jenso508

Too many are stuck in their bubble trying create their own drums, selling beats, marketing and forget the very fundamental thing about why they started making music in first place.

Last edited:
Creativity is never played out.

I can spend all day tweaking and working on a quality track. Whats the rush

Last edited:
Well said jenso508

Too many are stuck in their bubble trying create their own drums, selling beats, marketing and forget the very fundamental thing about why they started making music in first place.

I feel you. Too many people worrying about the wrong things.

Last edited:
I think people do it mainly cause in this sad era of music. Everything literally sounds the same. When Rick Ross came out with that Larry Hoover track, whatever it was called, literally every beat after that sounded identical from ross, wayne to whoever. I think people would rather use kits that are known to most people's ears, especially if they produce to sell, because people want what is popular instead of unique now days, and if you make a record that sounds like so an so's song people will be more apt to buy it because thats whats popular.

Its hard to make you own kit, near every drum machine sounds the same.
You are looking at the wrong drum machines then. The 606 doesn't sound like a 909 and it surely doesn't sound like a Linn Drum. The old Alesis machines had their sound to them as did the Korgs and all of the other old school drum machines.

Lol it's true.

But, what does making your own kit really mean?

& someone mentioned earlier about it being a hot seller.

To me making my own kit could mean taking my favorite sounds from
all the kits I got & putting them together how I like em, edited/
organized & shit, etc.

To you it could mean creating every single drum sound from scratch.

I mentioned selling cause I wouldn't do it my way & sell it,
but for personal use, workflow, etc I'ma do what it do
In simple terms your collection is simply a kit unique to you. Do you have every drum kit known to man out there or maybe you only use Battery stock drums those would be having a ton of other people's kits. Not knocking using other people's kits I do too but I have a good mix of breaks I have sampled myself that may be not as well known, sounds that I created on drum synths and stuff like that to make pieces of it unique to me. I think part of the problem is that we have way too much access to drums and they are free or very inexpensive so everyone has everything. If drum kits were $250 each and there was no way to pirate them people would have 1 kit and would make it unique.

Last edited:
modern day & age free drums make it easier for everybody but most seem to use just plain 808's nowadays anyway.
And most sampling producers use drums that sound like 9th Wonder's standard Snare.

because things like plain old 808s, 909 kicks, linn samples, etc are really good basic building blocks. Personally I think its wack for me not to make my own sounds (drums, synths, whatever) but I dont care what others do.

I agree with this dude.

Remember when Lil Jon's drumkits where the sh't, like he invented his own sounds?

Nope, he just took em out of 808's tweaked em, and slapped a "Lil Jon" name on 'em.

Most of lil Jon's Drums were straight off the Korg Triton(I think I remember some coming from some Roland Drum Machine I think as well, MC909 maybe?). They weren't "tweaked", they were "mixed" by a professional, not even Lil Jon was the reason they sounded so unique. Same for Dre, Storch, tons of others. Guys convince themselves this is rocket science when it is not.

I honestly think people try to hard when they get "Lex Luger Kits", just get dry stock sounds, that's what all those "kits" are created from.

It's not what drums you use, it's how you freak the drums you use! I build kits for workflow reasons, but i'll use drums from anywhere. Don't think I could ever do what's hot right now. Now if someone wants my track because they say it sounds like such and suchs' I'll take the money. Every track I've ever made is a reflection of how I was feeling or how I was feeling about the vocals given to me.

I've been using my own drum kits for a minute now. And just wonder if that's played out because it seems like all the(online) trap producers now are using a lex luger or zaytoven kit and all the boom bap and soul samplers are using a dilla or 9th's kit. What do you guys think?

Good old fashioned hard work and a great work ethic is what seems to have played out. Everyone today wants to take short cuts but it's ultimately themselves who'll suffer in the long run. If you're really serious about your craft, you should eventually have some drum kits that you've assembled. They dont have to be individually customized by you but you should have least a folder of drum sounds that you've accumulated from various sources.

Last edited:
Building drum kits is a waste of time and energy. Its too much time and effort that can be useful for other parts of the composition. I want to write music-not spend hours tweaking and layering and whatnot. Besides, I prefer the sound of live drums so sometimes all I need is a crisp drum loop. What is the point of layering and doing all that junk? I just use the Paul Nice Drum Library CD's and let that do what it do or I will use stock sounds from the keyboard or softsynth.

Back