10 things rappers will say to get free beats.

But engineers dnt work for free... managers dnt work for free... Nobody in the chain of the product is working for free

Most are charging for a service.
In other words, something tied to an accountable number of hours worked.
Another section is based on a percentage of earnings.

If there's no 'percentage' to get a piece of, then you are asking for money from what monies?
The way to get around this is to charge for studio time [a service] and the beats are free until they are part of what brings income.

There's a weird place pof landing where a rapper is large enough that free beats make sense -- he's established enough to be worthy of free beats, BUT! doesn't have any compensation to slide your way.

If a rapper is rapping for free, it doesn't make sense for him to be buying the beats for his demos.
But that also harkens back to the days when the rapper and DJ/beatmaker were part of the same crew so this was never an issue till making beats was a cool thing to do.

It boils down to whether providing music production should be viewed as a stand-alone service or a collaboration. If you participate in any back-end royalties/gross-net percentages then you typically fall under the collaboration umbrella. Whether or not you get an advance on the earning potential should be determined on a case by case basis.

Music Production - Collaboration (up until the online era now its in the "gray area")
Session Musician -Service
Songwriter (lyrics) - Collaboration
Mixing & Mastering - Service
Artist/Producer Manager - Collaboration
Publicist - Service

Last edited:
Free beat.............hahahahahaha.......what is a free beat? Was it locked up or something?

^^^lol....beautiful female artist that "s's" a "d" for beats?

Imagine if she blew up.

pimp-c_fur.jpeg

i dont think you should be making music to earn money, art should be made for the sake of contributing to the art
If its some dude who is gonna make money of a track with your beat ofc you should get your share of the profit
But if its some dude who isnt famous and isnt really making any money i would gladly give away free beats

I like the mindset.

As someone who is both an artist and producer, I can't help but laugh at this thread.

I understand the producers point of view. I have bills, and giving beats away for free will not pay them.

There is no right or wrong in this scenario. However, I will say that since my team and I have opted out of charging people, and, instead, are focused on someone's ability to help in creating good music, and can help in putting the music in as many playlists as possible, we have created many profitable and life changing opportunities. Truthfully, money, at least for us, closed many doors, as we turned away many talented artist who it would have paid off to invest in their 'bigger picture'. It isn't about the money when you are building a solid foundation to which something amazing could grow.

Sidebar: It doesn't hurt to find a good, stable job first, and then pursue music as a career. Do not fall for the hype of "no plan B". That's just foolish. Live in reality.

Last edited:
I've worked hard and made sacrifices to buy my equipment, study musical theory, train on multiple instruments, work while my friends are out at the club, stay up late grinding all night and then go to work a few hours later.

So, if you're a rapper who doesn't have the work ethic, drive or determination to save up a few dollars for one of my beats, then you really aren't the kind of artist I wanna collab with anyway.

Last edited:
I've worked hard and made sacrifices to buy my equipment, study musical theory, train on multiple instruments, work while my friends are out at the club, stay up late grinding all night and then go to work a few hours later.

So, if you're a rapper who doesn't have the work ethic, drive or determination to save up a few dollars for one of my beats, then you really aren't the kind of artist I wanna collab with anyway.
Completely agree.

I wouldn't mind giving some beats away to someone i know has a hard work ethic and i can see that he or she stays putting out music. I would support their grind because ill get noticed too. The average joe who makes a track every now and then gotta pay up.

Back