What minor goes well with a Communications major?

Isk2009

DamnSonWhere'dYaFindThis?
(Feel free to move, mods)

As the title says, just looking for some suggestions. Anybody here already have a degree in communications? If so, has it helped you get a good job?

I'm pretty deadlocked between Communications or Psych as my major, but I heard that the only kind of psych degree that can really get you a good job is a PhD, so for now I'm gonna delve into communications a lil more and see if I continue to like it...

So yea, any suggestions, life experience, etc?

Experience, experience, experience.

Nowadays, an undergrad degree is like what a high school diploma used to be. Without one, you're shut out of a lot of jobs, but it provides little benefit beyond that.

Outside of more technical majors like engineering and computer sciences, I can't think of many people I know who got a job specifically because of their major.

I was a comm major. Most, if not all, of the fields that major applies to look for practical experience. When you graduate, your major will take up less than one line of your resume. If you want a job, you better have other stuff to fill that resume out :)

Good luck!

I'm not sure, that field is pretty distant from the degree I'm achieving. You should consider sociology though. If you get a degree in that, and land a job with the military (a job, not enlisted lol) you'll be rolling in so much dough you'll be on a yacht banging out tracks.

^lol, I was thinking about soc, too.
Thanks for the replies,

@ Galacticboy,

What's your full time job these days?

No problem folk, I know for myself College is the most confusing time of my life haha...campus life is fun but these courses are something else. I think I've went through like four degree changes already and the advisers aren't worth a shit lol

lol, I think In my case I'm just being too timid with selecting a major. I haven't declared even once yet..

I have to give something a try tho..

learn something technical that can make you special.
Business, Communication etc are what I call "soft topics". Being able to program applications, program websites, anything that is technical is something you want.

If you have to build your own company it will be easier, and it's not a competency many that is easy to get.

^ yea that's basically what everyone in my family tells me I should do. I'm pretty good with computers I guess, but I'm just not sure if I'd enjoy spending so much time in front of one, more time than I already do now, anyway..

a couple of my friends went into sales with communications degrees and are doing extremely well.....but imo unless your coming out of 'cuse....it's an interesting choice for a degree..but to each there own.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

btw...i am in no way knocking that as a major. I'm always for people to go for higher education....even though it isn't for everyone

I was a Comm major at UNC...Journalism, Marketing, Music, anything really a minor looks good to show a focus in whatever you want to do as a career...the great thing about Comm is it prepares you for any type of media-related field.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Experience, experience, experience.

Nowadays, an undergrad degree is like what a high school diploma used to be. Without one, you're shut out of a lot of jobs, but it provides little benefit beyond that.

Outside of more technical majors like engineering and computer sciences, I can't think of many people I know who got a job specifically because of their major.

Good luck!

Co-sign

(Feel free to move, mods)

As the title says, just looking for some suggestions. Anybody here already have a degree in communications? If so, has it helped you get a good job?

I'm pretty deadlocked between Communications or Psych as my major, but I heard that the only kind of psych degree that can really get you a good job is a PhD, so for now I'm gonna delve into communications a lil more and see if I continue to like it...

So yea, any suggestions, life experience, etc?

Great thread, I know someone who's bro just graduated with Psych degree, he has yet to find a job, not saying the same will happen you, but from the looks of things he's going to grad school to get his masters. I find nothin' wrong with that, I'm all about Higher Education if you make something out of it.... I can't stand people with degrees who still don't know ish. SMH

Anyway, this person who's brother I'm talking about... well he received his degree last year in Criminal Justice and has yet to find a job. :( But everyone and their mama seems to be going after Criminal Justice nowadays so that could very well be the reason why he hasn't found a job in his field yet.

Now on to the meat of this post lol, cause I'm a Communication major as well(with Studio Art as my second major). :) I know of couple people who gotten their degrees in this field already. One who I worked with at the Campus television studio has a job as a photojournalist right now. I also know of someone who's working as a PA for a project starring Kim Whitley. I also know someone who's works as a counselor for a non-profit center, it just all depends on your goals and what you're willing to do achieve them.

What field of communications you're trying to get into??? Also what minors were you looking into, you could try music, even though I think majoring in music is a waste of time nowadays, especially since the rules are currently being rewritten.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

I was a Comm major at UNC...Journalism, Marketing, Music, anything really a minor looks good to show a focus in whatever you want to do as a career...the great thing about Comm is it prepares you for any type of media-related field.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Co-sign

So what you doing now???

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Studying for the bar :)

bar-tending a great field to get into. :bat:

;)

LOL I did not want to say it but ....

A Dj friend of mine got his Communications degree from UNO and he could not get a good job for anything. He had to join the Navy. Really what good is a communication degree?

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Oh y'all answer my question above...

I graduated three years ago at a graphical/industrial design school, then did one year Communication and economics, now I'm in my third year of (solely) Communication, doing a minor in Digital Audio Design next year

Imma be opening up a full fledged Advertising Company when I graduate, everything in-house; concepts, designs, marketing strategies, Business plans, video & audio.

I Better be caking up after 9-10 years of studies.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

LOL I did not want to say it but ....

A Dj friend of mine got his Communications degree from UNO and he could not get a good job for anything. He had to join the Navy. Really what good is a communication degree?

j.troup said:
I think the better question is, WTF are you gonna do with a Communications degree?

Damn yall must have some shitty Communications studies...we're flooded with job offers in this segment over here after graduating.

Last edited:
I graduated three years ago at a graphical/industrial design school, then did one year Communication and economics, now I'm in my third year of (solely) Communication, doing a minor in Digital Audio Design next year

So this your second time in school? What's your degree in from the industrial school??

So this your second time in school? What's your degree in from the industrial school??

Our educational system is different from America's (assuming you're from America)...Yall got one level (College University), we've got different levels with different studies based on difficulty. So ones I graduated the design college I could step up a level on the educational scale.

Our educational system is different from America's (assuming you're from America)...Yall got one level (College University), we've got different levels with different studies based on difficulty. So ones I graduated the design college I could step up a level on the educational scale.

I see now, I'm assuming you're from the U.K.??

EDIT: and yes, I'm from America :sing:

Last edited:
Back