Universal Music Group Censoring Youtube?

in germany alot of music videos from all around the world are blocked on youtube and vimeo, beacuse GEMA and UMG claims the copyrights. The funny thing is: alot of these videos has nothing to do with GEMA or UMG, but the GEMA lawyers says that its youtubes fault.

yeah, they've even blocked my beat once. dunno who the **** is responsible there for this, but should loose his job imho. now im smarter so if they'd block my video then I'd be able to sue them for stealing the copyrights.

For people in germany it is already difficult. There's no VEVO or such a thing, so you cant watch music videos in internet, only in tv. So the record sales are goin down and the whole music industry eats it own tail.
Thats the fact that the since GEMA and UMG block videos on youtube the numbers of sold records are going down every year in Germany.
So if anyone could explain me, why they dont want to get more money, i would be happy.

In theory such tactics can be used to gain an advantage over independent artist but that a stretch. In general the whole internet thing is something most majors still have not figured out yet.

That's sketchy - unfortunately I don't think it's illegal since youtube ultimately choses who can put videos on THEIR websites. It's not like by UMG taking down your video that equals them breaching your copyright. They don't assume rights over your music, just over youtube.

Anyway, this is BS.

@scorchingbeats: yes, but their ambit claim in doing so is that they have identified a copyright infringement whether it be a sample a lyric or melodic. I would even hazard a guess that some of the vids taken down have been targeted simply because the chord progression is similar to something already in existence which is anti-copyright.

Also the entire behaviour is anti-competitive in that it seems to be targeted at fringe players (aka the new independent producers/labels) rather than the mainstream. Not quite monopolistic but certainly cartel-like in nature (common gaol aimed at obtaining an unfair or proscribed advantage in the market place) and practice

Back