Renewed Push to Give President an Internet "Kill Switch"

N.I.BEATS

A controversial bill handing President Obama power over privately owned computer systems during a "national cyberemergency," and prohibiting any review by the court system, will return this year.
Internet companies should not be alarmed by the legislation, first introduced last summer by Sens. Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.) and Susan Collins (R-Maine), a Senate aide said last week. Lieberman, an independent who caucuses with Democrats, is chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

"We're not trying to mandate any requirements for the entire Internet, the entire Internet backbone," said Brandon Milhorn, Republican staff director and counsel for the committee.

Instead, Milhorn said at a conference in Washington, D.C., the point of the proposal is to assert governmental control only over those "crucial components that form our nation's critical infrastructure."
Portions of the Lieberman-Collins bill, which was not uniformly well-received when it became public in June 2010, became even more restrictive when a Senate committee approved a modified version on December 15.

The full Senate did not act on the measure.
The revised version includes new language saying that the federal government's designation of vital Internet or other computer systems "shall not be subject to judicial review." Another addition expanded the definition of critical infrastructure to include "provider of information technology," and a third authorized the submission of "classified" reports on security vulnerabilities.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20029302-501465.html

Obama's daughter walks in, "everybodys spreading rumors on facebook."....
*click*

Obama's daughter walks in, "everybodys spreading rumors on facebook."....
*click*

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers: Post of the day right there.

I think the internet could be better regulated though...it's like the new Wild Wild West. Everyone on the internet (forums, blogs & chats mostly) seems to have such an instigative demeanor and want to see more harm than good done. It's a thin line though...we pay all of these people and I'm all about the power being in the peoples hands (where it should be) but they still have a job to do and they need to do it --just not overdue it.

A much needed weapon to insure our national security. Wars are no longer exclusive to the physical world.

Im sure the white house isnt coming for futureproducers. But look at it this way, how the hell any old person in America can sit down at there computer and log onto a KKK, neo-nazi, or Al-Quieda website? Anyone see something wrong with that? You all need to look at the big pictures and sop worrying about your little Twitters and Facebooks being compromised. It might not be such a bad idea.

**** that, the internet is the only way for us to communicate outside calling and seeing each other, plus you're a hypocrite for using the internet.

No, I'm not that's like calling me a hypocrite for not having nukes. I'm just if a large scale cyber attack were to happen I believe the president should have the power to shut down the internet. Hell we'll give him power to start wars, destroy nations with the press of a button and help make national policies, but if it messes with our blogs we say no?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No, I'm not that's like calling me a hypocrite for not having nukes. I'm just if a large scale cyber attack were to happen I believe the president should have the power to shut down the internet. Hell we'll give him power to start wars, destroy nations with the press of a button and help make national policies, but if it messes with our blogs we say no?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Way to miss the bigger picture.

It's not about blog sites or social networks.. THE INTERNET BELONGS TO NO GOVERNMENT.

If we start censoring our last source of free information, where are we gonna get outside news?

* www.rapgodfathers.com **

Last edited:
Way to miss the bigger picture.

It's not about blog sites or social networks.. THE INTERNET BELONGS TO NO GOVERNMENT.

If we start censoring our last source of free information, where are we gonna get outside news?

* www.rapgodfathers.com **

actually it Kinda does. Go to China and ask who owns the government there. They're not talking about a censoring of information or news for regular users. They're talking about having the ability to shut down internet access within the U.S. if a cyber attack were to take place. For example a terrorist decides to hack our CIA computers to gain access to U.S. defense plans. The government wants the ability to be able to shut down access to prevent the hacker from accomplishing his goal. I understand your fears on free speech, but you automatically assumed an abuse of power and not proper use of power. I'm just saying if the government knocks me off of Facebook so they can prevent a terrorist from getting information that could lead to another 9/11 I'm all for it. I can't see why you wouldn't be too.

actually it Kinda does. Go to China and ask who owns the government there. They're not talking about a censoring of information or news for regular users. They're talking about having the ability to shut down internet access within the U.S. if a cyber attack were to take place. For example a terrorist decides to hack our CIA computers to gain access to U.S. defense plans. The government wants the ability to be able to shut down access to prevent the hacker from accomplishing his goal. I understand your fears on free speech, but you automatically assumed an abuse of power and not proper use of power. I'm just saying if the government knocks me off of Facebook so they can prevent a terrorist from getting information that could lead to another 9/11 I'm all for it. I can't see why you wouldn't be too.

... What exactly do you know about the censorship in China?

You're right, I'm assuming an abuse of power based on past actions of our government. It makes less sense for you to believe in a proper use.

That's why they're starting with shutting down sites that "violate copyright laws" first right? Definite cyberterrorism there.

I'd make a reference to something you said in another thread, but I don't want to derail this topic.

** It's not about torrents either, that's not the point, don't get it twisted.

Last edited:

Yea right they do this because of the nerdy al kaida terrorist hackers...hahaha.

This shit is just about gaining more control over the internet...nothing more or less. Its not the first time the american government is trying to fool you into believing some hyped up shit just to make their actions look more "plausable".

And china is a whole nother story btw.

Last edited:
Yea right they do this because of the nerdy al kaida terrorist hackers...hahaha.

This shit is just about gaining more control over the internet...nothing more or less. Its not the first time the american government is trying to fool you into believing some hyped up shit just to make their actions look more "plausable".

And china is a whole nother story btw.

lol, true.

The government is fishy as ****.

A ****ing cnn reporter found Bin Laden in a cave, but the ****ing CIA couldnt even find them.

The only reason the "goverment" is patrolling our privacy on the internet is for THEIR safety, not ours. They just want to know what we're up to.

Their next step into monitoring us is gun control, not for our safety, but for theirs, so we cant fight back.

Who the **** voted for obama anyway?
Why didnt yall vote for Ron Paul?

quoted for truth

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

The only reason the "goverment" is patrolling our privacy on the internet is for THEIR safety, not ours. They just want to know what we're up to.

Their next step into monitoring us is gun control, not for our safety, but for theirs, so we cant fight back.

another good post.

Back