How do you deal with bad day jobs?

Olie

Every moment of my job i'm thinking about the moment i leave. Every time i leave time moves too fast for me to get enough done. If my life just continues in this cycle i'm going to go nuts.

*face palm*

The day job pays the bills. I have one - it sucks too. What I do to counteract that negativity is to be sure the rest of my time is used my way. If I want to get music done, the tv stays off. Video games... Haven't really played them since the first gen xbox was out. My friends are all slowing down with wives and kids nowadays, so there's less social commitments for me too, especially during the week. It also helps that my girl works nights as a chef, so I get time to do music, and during that time I focus on little else..

The day job pays the bills. I have one - it sucks too. What I do to counteract that negativity is to be sure the rest of my time is used my way. If I want to get music done, the tv stays off. Video games... Haven't really played them since the first gen xbox was out. My friends are all slowing down with wives and kids nowadays, so there's less social commitments for me too, especially during the week. It also helps that my girl works nights as a chef, so I get time to do music, and during that time I focus on little else..

The only time i watch tv is when i eat and before i sleep now. I intermittently play games in short bursts to refresh myself when i need a break. Listened to your signature and it sounds like good stuff too. Just finished working 11 hours with no breaks... Feel dead inside.

Try to view your shitty day job as a means to it's own end.....by that I mean use it to both fund and motivate you to escape from it.....for example think of every pile of shit you shovel as being worth some of the records you are going to have pressed or equipment you are going to buy with your pay check so that one day you don't have to shovel shit anymore.

Where I think people get into trouble is they sabotage their own optimism by doing shit the wrong way around, like instead of being motivated to save for something they can look forward to they just take out a loan get what they want right away and then paying off the loan becomes a chore because there is no longer anything to look forward to, like there is this unenthusiastic disconnection between the means and the end due to the reversal.

I blame it on my wife and then i beat her. Then i blame her for making me beat her and then i beat her for that.

I'm kidding. Domestic violence is bad :(

Try to view your shitty day job as a means to it's own end.....by that I mean use it to both fund and motivate you to escape from it.....for example think of every pile of shit you shovel as being worth some of the records you are going to have pressed or equipment you are going to buy with your pay check so that one day you don't have to shovel shit anymore.

Where I think people get into trouble is they sabotage their own optimism by doing shit the wrong way around, like instead of being motivated to save for something they can look forward to they just take out a loan get what they want right away and then paying off the loan becomes a chore because there is no longer anything to look forward to, like there is this unenthusiastic disconnection between the means and the end due to the reversal.
Bought a new guitar....paid in cash!
9464-gibson-custom-shop-wes-montgomery-vintage-sunburst--large.jpg

#nodebt

I don't want to make this a competition but, nevermind yes i do:

hs8spk.jpg

Bought new studio monitors, paid in cash and have £4000 left over.

That's the way, make your day job work for you.

Completely agree!!

I was in the same situation a couple of years ago...
I worked in a high volume production kitchen that specialized in dehydrated raw foods. It was like working in freaking death valley, no exaggeration.
My work ethic is off the charts (I know, I know... but it is), and I was so miserable with my job that I got fired.
That had never happened to me before, I was always moved up into supervisory positions. So needless to say, I was a little lost when that happened.
I had a decent amount of cash saved up to last me a few months of survival(rent included) so I wasnt too worried.
I kept the faith and knew that something better was there just waiting for me somewhere somehow, I just knew it.
I never let myself get down or depressed or second guess anything.
when I was down to my last 500$(not enough for rent in oakland, go figure) I landed a job with the largest concert production company in the bay, Another Planet Entertainment.
I have never been so happy with my job in my life, its amazing.
I do a little of everything; stagehand, housecrew, event manager(smaller events) site ops for the festivals that we do (outside lands, Treasure Island music festival), and have travelled out of state to work other big name festivals.
I even met Prince a couple weeks ago, watched his show from on stage, and he gave me a personal guitar pick afterwards, and thats not an unusual occurance...
Moral of the story; Never give up hope, Push and never be afraid. All you want is right in front of you, you just may not be able to see it yet :cheers:

Would you say keeping a strong work ethic matter in a job you hate though? That's a cool story by the way.

Just yesterday I was stuck at work for so long that I began to wonder if I was ever going to leave. Hopefully one day music could be my full time job....

I don't have anything smart to say on this, except I am/was in the same situation like OP (not sure if I'm fired, I should find out today), but damn son, that beat from your signature is hot.

Back