FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil

I think US deserved to win the match. I don't know why, but I don't like the Belgium team.

Tim Howard deserved a win. Defense withstood the assault for 90 mins. But now it's clear the problem for USA is the midfield, and we lack world class strikers. Proof is in the possession, poor crosses into the box, and poorer finishes. Set piece with the game on the line, and they got cute instead of calling on someone who can score a free kick, coz we have nobody. Fitness is another issue...

Day after, and it still stings. They could have won, but didn't.

kind of agree with all the you said ipm - the fact that they had to sub a player who had tape up his legs is a clear sign to me that they did not have enough depth in the squad to not play him at all - an injured player should not start an important match like this one but may be brought on near end of the game to inject some skill and experience into the team

cute was nearly good enough though for the draw

of more concern is the average age of the squad that went on the pitch each game significantly higher than the Belgian's I think

Last edited:
so Brazil over Colombia - not expected and certainly against form so far in the tournament
Germany over France as expected from start to finish
Argentina over Belgium not what was expected and certainly a niggly, spiteful game a goal good enough in the end though the Belgians seemed to be hard pressed to find anything at the end unlike their previous games
Netherlands over Costa Rica not how I expected it to be and Costa Rica certainly lucky to end the game with 11 men on the pitch should have been down to 9 by the end of regulation time with added time. Smart move to bring Krul on before extra time finished and proven to be the right choice at the end when it mattered

So only 2 from 4 but to be fair, hard games to pick by any standard

Now the hard ones to pick

Germany v Brazil - penalty decider with Gerrmany to win

Netherlands v Argentina - Netherlands but not by much

Last edited:
Now the hard ones to pick

Germany v Brazil - penalty decider with Gerrmany to win

Netherlands v Argentina - Netherlands but not by much

I don't know if I wanna make predictions from now on. My heart belongs to Brazil, but my mind tells me Germany will win the game.

I'm just hoping for Brazil vs Argentina, being it for third place, or the finals.

Don't worry based on form shown, a penalty shoot-out was to be expected

However, if you listened to Martin Tyler (40 year veteran match commentator) calling it you would realise that no-one was expecting the 7-1 drubbing that Brazil got, but when viewed in real time it was apparent that they were lost without T Silva and Neymar Jr: could easily have been 10 or even 12 (reminiscent of some of Australia's older qualifying matches against the Oceania conference where the biggest win in world cup qualifying was recorded Australia 31–0 American Samoa (2001))

Even so, I did say Germany would win in spite of some suggesting they should have been gone by now

Now for a far more interesting and balanced contest tomorrow morning (my time)

As a brazilian, I feel ashamed of how my country squad have played against Germany. But, as I've always a fan of Germany's football, I'm still happy with the results. Now, I just hope I can get to walk on the streets safely, as this loss may trigger some riots here (I'm not kidding).

This where the strategy of tactical fouling can backfire big time - they lost Neymar JR to a tactical foul and also Tiagho Silva for committing one

I was not impressed with the refereeing in this match - there were many instances of cardable offences being let go until it was almost too late; such a late appearance of the cards makes the match flow more but also allows the intimidation of tactical fouling to take a hold on the psyche of the opposition. In this case the end result was not impacted, but with a different team could easily have done so

To those people who claim that Neymar missing was the key ingredient to Brazil loosing I wanna ask what difference he has made in previous games? He is not a great match maker like Kroos. He is no Messi when it comes to one man shows. He had no goals or assists against both Mexico and Chile. And his small physique renders him powerless against a tall and strong defense, we've seen how he was unable to pass the Colombian defense.

So what difference could he possibly have made against Germany? Prevent 7 goals? Score 7 addition goals to create a 8 to 7 victory? Germany, mind you, misses it's best offensive man as well, Marco Reus. Why is no one talking about him?

I figure Thiago Silva missing played a slightly larger, nonetheless insufficient role for Brazil's embarrassing loss. 1. The main reasons was that Germany was incredibly strong. 2. Brazil isn't the team it used to be. 3. It's Justin Bieber and captain was missing which stunted the teams confidence. 4. Complete tactical failure on Brazil's part.

Last night Brazil has tasted what we tasted in 2002. The current team isn't the team which earned the 5 world cup victories. Gotta keep that in mind. Obviously this is tragic for them. I wish them fast recovery.

you mistake smaller size for a disadvantage - smaller means lower center of gravity, means smaller turning circle, means faster rebound to upright position etc.

Neymar is a play-maker, not a goal scorer, that much is clear from having watched the Brazilian games so far - there was no one making the plays other than David Luis that I can recall - to have your central play-maker missing can destroy any sense of an attacking strategy. Instead of planned moves, most of it seemed to be get the ball, push up field hope that someone was there to turn it into something

Silva being missing in defense was obviously an issue as they looked to not have worked on how to defend without him (what they have been doing the last few days is therefore a mystery to me)

I do not think that Germany were so much better as that Brazil was clueless in defense - that is all that is needed for one team to seem rampant and able to roll over an opponent

Watching Argentina-Netherlands will be far more telling about what Germany is going to be able to do in the Final

I agree. Now that is going to be a close and intense game. Di Maria missing is a huge blow to Argentina. I'm putting my money on the Netherlands.

Holland deserved a win. Friggin kicks... Can anyone fill me in on when Golden Goal is actually used, and why it's not in the World Cup?

Holland deserved a win. Friggin kicks... Can anyone fill me in on when Golden Goal is actually used, and why it's not in the World Cup?

I actually did a research on this: the golden goal rule isn't used since 2003/2004. It is said that it could be unfair, in the case of a team playing in a much lower quality than the other, ans scoring a goal out of luck.

I actually did a research on this: the golden goal rule isn't used since 2003/2004. It is said that it could be unfair, in the case of a team playing in a much lower quality than the other, ans scoring a goal out of luck.

Then I would argue luck on the field within actual play is part of the game in general. PK shootout adds an element of luck that doesn't exist in the general gameplay. PKs happen, sure. But when is a 90-minute game decided by 10 PKs throughout?

It's like ending a basketball tie with a 3-point contest, in the finals. Not a fan. Don't like it in hockey either, but even in their playoffs, they go to sudden death overtime.

Last edited:
not impressed at the result but have yet to watch the game (just too busy today - will watch recording shortly)

golden goal is fine for having a definite outcome (avoiding draws) in regulation competition but I don't think it belongs in finals matches -

personally think it is a stupid idea in any sport, particularly sports where there are multiple methods for scoring with different points weights towards total score and all you need is a single point to break the deadlock

can lead to other stupidities on the field of play that can result in a team being beaten because they were trying to break or avoid a deadlock and concede possession in such a manner that the other team scores

Germany to win
Netherlands 3rd

Germany to win
Netherlands 3rd

Totally agree with you on this one: Argentina has a style of playing that is too much like Brazil, so I think it'll be easy for them to win. In fact, I think the result will be the same as in the 2010 Cup, Germany 4 x 0 Argentina.

Holland will also win the game easily. 3x0.

There's nothing right about this years FIFA world cup. The whole idea is a ****ing disaster and an utter disgrace to all human beings. I hope it all goes to shit and that everyone who thinks it's even remotely worth supporting has a serious look at themselves and question how much these kind of things are worth, and what kind price people you have never met have to pay for you to have your precious entertainment.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Back