Why is it in rock.....

Z

Zannon

When I pick up a rock CD, I'm lucky if they're 13 or 14 songs on it. Meanwhile, in rap, people are disappointed if there are only 15. Why is twelve track the standard for rock?

Probably, rock songs are a *little* more complicated to make, so artists probably complain if they have to make more than 12 songs.

Also, rock songs can be a minute or two longer than rap songs, as well.

Otherwise, rap albums also have lots of 'skits' to fill in tracks, as well.

These are some possible explanations...

I see your point. But I always read about bands who are like, 'We had 25 songs to choose from and we chose the best twelve'. Why not choose the best thirteen?

Zannon said:
I see your point. But I always read about bands who are like, 'We had 25 songs to choose from and we chose the best twelve'. Why not choose the best thirteen?

According to Gene Simmons, you should write 40 songs for a ten song album.

Personally, as long as at least three songs are worth listening to, I'm happy.

Oh, and punk bands tend to have many songs on their albums. 20 isn't unheard of...

geedubbee said:

Personally, as long as at least three songs are worth listening to, I'm happy.

Dog, I ain't shellin' out $16 for no three songs. Even if the album is free, it better have more than three good songs.

Shows how different rap and rock really are. The reason why rock bands write 20 songs and only put mabye 15 on there is because they might feel that the other 5 arnt good enough. You know what hppens with the other 5? An EP. Which, to me are usually better than the albums themselves. I hate having 18 tracks on albums. 10 out of the 18 are just filler tracks, usually. You have to remember that only a certian amount of minutes are on cds. I believe they dont exceed 80? Not every rock song is 3 minutes like many think. Pink Floyd's "wish you were here" album is only 5 songs. But, the album was relased on a vinyl record. The couldnt fit 18 "joints" on the record because of the time. "Shine on you crazy dimond pts 1-9" are over 25 minutes. Then they add in the other songs. That takes up both sides A and B. I'm happy if at least half of the album is good. Who said anything about paying 16 bucks for an album??!! Used cd stores are great! Thats where I get most of my music, it works like its brand new. Depends on where you shop, Doggggggggg.

-Geoffrey

Tyree D. said:

rich bastard or happy pirate...

Neither. Just someone so disgusted with the commercial crap from the major labels that I don't tend to buy much of it anymore.

I just choose carefully. I've bought about three new CDs this year. I tend to go for compilations and greatest hits CDs (Peter Gabriel and Rock Against Bush were my latest acquisitions). And whenever possible, I get them from the used CD store, or Thrift stores.

Oh, and http://www.emusic.com comes in handy for sampling a wide variety of genres and bands. Sun Ra, Miles Davis, Operation Ivy and Tya (aussie Techno, real digeridoos!) were my latest downloads from there...

Unlike my teen years when I had plenty of money to blow on albums, and inevitably ended up with the entire album, when all I needed was the hit single...

also i think one of the reasons is the running time of the disc,

if 12 songs run just under an hour, they press it using the 60 minute discs, but if it runs over the 60 minutes, they might just take one of the songs off,

coz to extend the 60 minutes disc for just one song means that they have to pay the cost of an 80 minute disc, which is far more expensive both for the band and the fans!

coz there arent any 60.52 minute discs available

i read about this couple days ago and was fascinated

You guys should go the samgoody.com, or bmgmusic.com, where you can listen to 30 or 40 second clips of the songs, if you like enough of them, then buy the cd. Dont buy a cd for a hit single, trust me...

Surely another reason is that generally in rock music the whole of every tune is written by the band rather than a producer writing a drum part and then various session musicians filling in the rest with the rapper just rapping over the top.

Anyway, even if this isn't the case, surely quality is preferable to quantity: other than their self titled album, nothing that The Beatles released was over 40 minutes and any one of their albums is better than a 70 minute album by pretty much anybody else.

Well, as far as I'm concerned anyway... :D

Happy Days!

sorry but a 2 bar bassline looped, a "beat" and some fool shouting what weve all heard hundreds of times before about shooting my niggaz and on the chronic etc etc.. dont count for 20 songs!!!

in rock/ pop they have arrangements, different basslines (yes, in the same song. wow!), and wait for it .....lyrics (that are different from the last track)!

That was pretty cool and yet.....true!!! :cheers:

-Geoffrey

Last edited by a moderator:
THE FUTURE =1= said:
sorry but a 2 bar bassline looped, a "beat" and some fool shouting what weve all heard hundreds of times before about shooting my niggaz and on the chronic etc etc.. dont count for 20 songs!!!

in rock/ pop they have arrangements, different basslines (yes, in the same song. wow!), and wait for it .....lyrics (that are different from the last track)!

Sometimes...

Seek "nickelbacksucks.mp3". Two nickelback songs, one panned hard left, one hard right. Exact same temp, exact same chords, exact same change ups.

Meanwhile, Public Enemy has plenty of variation without resorting to "shooting my niggaz".

It's all in the artist, not the genre.

rap is the new pop, except worse, and cheesier. most rap artists are ridiculous

I don't think anyone has pointed out that rap music is a lot cheaper to produce. Not only do you not have the expense of an entire band, you save a lot of time by not waving to wait on a band to get together to record (unless you do a lot of overdubbing, though that's not usually the norm for recording bands). You don't have these kind of problems with rap, so I guess a lot of producers use the extra bonuses to add more filler to their albums. Part of the reason we're seeing so much bullsh*t rap music these days...

Back