Skindread?! What The ?!?!

Totmacher

OK, first and foremost, Before I rip into these guys, I will give them mad props for practically creating A new genre of music. IF this crap cathes on, they will probably be responsible for it. I assume you know what i am talking about. THis METAL+REGGAE crap. I saw this on FUSE and i about crapped my pants in disbelief. I mean, holy muthatruckin jesus, they mixed METAL and REGGAE. Does anyone besides me see the problem here. METAL= HARD, possibly evil, FAST, HARD, HARD HARD. REGGAE= slow, soft, easy, Lazy. OK, b4 people get angry at me, liek i said b4, I gove them props for doing it and not doing it half bad, but WTF?!

Totmach, although your opion is somewhat well stated, I think it's crap. You stated that you were going to "rip" into these guys, and you really did nothing of the sort, you sort of babbled about your opinon, with no points touching on their sound. Aside from saying that it's crap, of course.

A metal and reggae mix, I didn't expect anything like this as well, hell never even though about it. I have to say though, I was blown away when I heard these guys on the radio. It's an ingenious idea. Two genres that NOBODY expected to hear came out and proved without a doubt that it could be done, and done with a hell of a lot of kick ass sound behind it.

You say that the problem is Metal, which equals "hard, possibly evil, fast, hard, hard, hard!" And you pretend to know that all reggae is "Soft, easy and lazy". I would love to see you tell Bob Marley that his music was soft, easy and lazy. Bob Marley the pop icon of the reggae genre, sang about revolution, transformation and liberation. Which, let's see here.. what's metal about - Rebellion, which is essentially is revolution and liberation, which is the ability to get pissed off and have the outlet to say **** the world. These are two different genres, which are basically talking about the same ****. Hell, I think Rastas were smoking pot before the metalheads were, they were the original potheads. (I'm sure every musician would really love to thank them for that.)

Anyway, that was somewhat of a tangent. Being a hardcore metal fan for many years, I am so ****ing tired of hearing the same guitar riffs, the same drum rolls, blah blah blah. To tell the truth, Metal has lost it's flavor. There have been many "mixes" in the Rock Genere (which metal is a sub genre of) that no one expected that are incredibly prominent in our era. R & B - Rock and Blues - artists including R. Kelly, Carl Thomas, D'angelo, Usher etc... Then there was in the late 80's early 90's when metal was going out and grunge was coming in and Hip Hop/Rap was on the top... Hip Hop came in and save Rock's ass... with a simple song and video "Walk This Way" with Aerosmith and Run DMC.. that mix in genre is heavily prevelent in today's era - Kid Rock (before he went country), Limp Bizkit, Korn (on their Follow the Leader Album) etc..

I totally support Skindread - they ****ing rock, and this is an ingenous move. Phenomeal sound - the most interesting being their harmonies that they use while punking out some reggae with a ****ing killer metal drummer and guitarist..

Totmacher said:
I mean, holy muthatruckin jesus, they mixed METAL and REGGAE. Does anyone besides me see the problem here. METAL= HARD, possibly evil, FAST, HARD, HARD HARD. REGGAE= slow, soft, easy, Lazy. OK, b4 people get angry at me, liek i said b4, I gove them props for doing it and not doing it half bad, but WTF?!

First, that would holy m-f-n jah,

Second, am I the only one here who's listened to Bad Brains?

Heck, even Rush from the Grace Under Pressure era? The Police started as a Reggae/Punk band. How hard is it to go a little farther into heavy land from there?

That said, if they have any mp3s available (legally, of course), they sound like I should check them out..,

OK Before anyone Starts "ripping" on them you have to acculy meet them... Like I did.. It was awesome.. You might not belive it but I did. It was at The 93x Butter Ball in Minnesota. They were awsome.. There had o most the same crowd support as Chevelle and KoRn but not really cause they are still "new" To the music Industry. In a way. Another thing that buggs me is that just because they heard one somng "nobody" doesn't mean that they know then...Im not Dissing the song Thats a Great song. I love that song. Its Number 1 on the Cd. Babylon.

So if you want to start "Ripping" on them see then Live first then if you don't like them Rip on them all you want...But That wont happen because they are ****ing Awesome Band.

geedubbee said:

First, that would holy m-f-n jah,

Second, am I the only one here who's listened to Bad Brains?

Heck, even Rush from the Grace Under Pressure era? The Police started as a Reggae/Punk band. How hard is it to go a little farther into heavy land from there?

That said, if they have any mp3s available (legally, of course), they sound like I should check them out..,

No need to even go that far (although it amazes me that this seems like news to some people)...isn't Skindred what Dub War turned into? They were somewhat big a couple of years ago. Modern Bad Brains, sort of.

First Thing. Punk sucks ass. They should have never even been a catagory. I can make better music then punk with a fork.

But Thats off the topic. The matter is Skindred is the best Reggae Metal ever to come. No dout about that. So there is no point of "ripping" on these guys.

"nobody" is hot. but it sounds mad eveil and if i'm in a concert and they start singing that shyt i'm heading for the door. i do listen to it in the safety of my own home on ea's need for speed underground 2. it's one of the best songs on the game. "nobody get's out alive!"

hmm ok this whole new raggae/metal blended together thing is very new to me and im sure its very new to many others...i was never a big fan of raggae but i was always a big metalhead this new band "SkinDred"(err what the hell does that mean neway :confused: ) it has inspired me to open my mind to new generes...but i really dont like, but raggae this raggae singer is pretty kick ass when he goes crazy and also the idea of the song "nobody" thats pretty badass idea of holding a hostage...i think this new genere is going to inspire alot of new bands to do this....(if they dont notice how much people hate it)to me this is ok i wouldnt buy the cd though...i like the music just the raggae is kinda ruinin it 4 me..........Cake & Coffee L8ER P.S. BUt i really would like to give this band credit for making a whole new ****ing genere thats pretty kick ass

i've been listenin to it since i found this post, i've only heard nobody, but i'm feelin that, like, i think they did it well at least, it sounds pretty cool, not gonna be a classic kinda thing, but it's a decent track :) pz!

Cake & Coffee said:
hmm ok this whole new raggae/metal blended together thing is very new to me and im sure its very new to many others...i was never a big fan of raggae but i was always a big metalhead this new band "SkinDred"(err what the hell does that mean neway :confused: ) it has inspired me to open my mind to new generes...but i really dont like, but raggae this raggae singer is pretty kick ass when he goes crazy and also the idea of the song "nobody" thats pretty badass idea of holding a hostage...i think this new genere is going to inspire alot of new bands to do this....(if they dont notice how much people hate it)to me this is ok i wouldnt buy the cd though...i like the music just the raggae is kinda ruinin it 4 me..........Cake & Coffee L8ER P.S. BUt i really would like to give this band credit for making a whole new ****ing genere thats pretty kick ass

They might have gotten the term from "skinhead", but put "dread" because of the reggae influence. *shrugs*

-Geoffrey

Ok, I registered for this site only to post a message for "Totmacher" and "Cake & Coffee" I was looking for the skindred website to listen to the song "nobody", since I only heard it twice so far on Fuse, when I came across the link to this thread. 1) "Totmacher" you're really ignorant...if you don't like the sound of a band, that is entirely within your rights to do, but how can you judge music just because of what genres it is made up of? Skindred are far from being the "first group" to mix Reggae/Dancehall and Rock/Metal and certainly will not be given credit for "Creating the new genre" How many groups throughout the years, both American and European have been influenced by Reggae? from Sting and The Police; to UB40; to P.O.D., Hell, even Papa Roach has a hidden track on the same album that "Last Resort" was on that sounds like an old Jamaican dubplate. Rancid has collaborated with Jamaican entertainers such as Buccaneer and Red Rat before. Even the Sean Paul album (You do know who he is right?)begins with a comedic intro where he is accidentally given a backing band that plays mostly rock music just because the name of his album is "Dutty Rock", most Jamicans who are fans of his music as well as rock are very sorry that those remixed songs such as "deport dem" were not actually made into full length tracks. As for Reggae sounding "lazy", I really hope you meant "laid back" because that's pretty insulting buddy. Take the time to at least try to accept new concepts before you knock them, I know that you did give them their props, but knocking the idea of fusing two genres is ignorance, that's like saying Black and White people will have kids who are very unique but the concept is crazy so maybe we shouldn't do it.
2)"Cake & Coffee"...it's spelled Reggae...tell your friends...the island of Jamaica thanks you.
3)"GotDopeInk" thanks for helping me breathe a sigh of relief when I read your post that someone actually knew what they were talking about (no offense to the other people that I haven't mentioned) those other two posts just really annoyed me.

-JL

geoff_emerick said:

They might have gotten the term from "skinhead", but put "dread" because of the reggae influence. *shrugs*

-Geoffrey

That was my guess. However, actually having heard them now, I'll add what I hope is a slightly better description of them. At least the song I heard.

The vocal sound is that of Reggae: bouncy, melodic. The rhythm section is Metal. Honestly, they remind me more of Hard Corps (3 rap vocalists over a 3 piece heavy metal rhythm section) than anything else in the Reggae influenced category. Bad Brains leaned a little in this direction, but the vocals of Skindred are far more "happy" sounding, taken on their own.

I think in an album or two, they will have figured out how to make the sounds match a little better than they do now. It almost sounds like the rhythm section and the vocalist don't know each other. With a little work, they can probably make it sound a little more cohesive.

As far as defining a *new* genre of music, I give it a half-life about as long as that of Funk Metal.

Just my opinion, of course.

Back