Politics in music

R

rcorbaley

John Kerry's big speech is today and in light of that I wanted to hear your thoughts on Steve Earle. He is an alternative country musician with a rather clear message. And as it turns out "his new album is very political, so much so that Michael Moore has licensed the title song for inclusion in the DVD of “Fahrenheit 911.” Curious to hear what you guys think of his music/statment. You can listen to it at

www.steveearle.com

Personally, I think Steve Earle is one of the greatest singer/songwriters of modern music. I can't comment on his political stance, because I'm not American, so therefore I:

a) Don't understand American politics,

and

b) Don't really care about it.

I do however agree fully with his anti-death sentences views, and his anti-war views.

I also love his music.

If Micheal Moore likes it, I know I wont like it. I absolutly hate the guy more than anyone he criticizes.

I do however disagree with the death penalty.

OutOfFaze, your not missing much as far as American politics go. I would pretty much crap on all of it if could.

i think for the large part, politics in music is retarded and i think most people hate polititians anyway.

RATM were cool though.

"i hate .. you hate .. we all hate .. POLITICIANS!"

wattie, exploited

yes we do coz its polititians that cause all the chaos in the world...straight up

music with a message it good to listen to sometimes, because you know it's meaningful, not just written to make someone famous or rich.

apparently the new green day album is really political too.

Not to be picky, but the entire hip-hop genre was born of the socio-economic status of african americans in the 70's through the 80's. I mean does it get any more political than PE's "By The Time I Get To Arizona"?

Oh, and am I the only one around here who listens to Arlo Guthrie's classic, "Alice's Restaurant" (a vietnam era anti-war anthem) every Thanksgiving?

Oh, and the classic folk song about the guy who gets on the public transportation system in Boston, and can't get off because the fares were increased? "Will he ever return, no he'll never return, and his fate is still unknown. He may ride forever 'round the streets of Boston, he's the man who never returned."

There's plenty of politics in music (plug: especially my own), and there ain't nothin' wrong with it. If that's what moves you to make this world a better place, more power to you.

I think Steve Earle's new stuff is great. I also feel like there's a place for politics in entertainment: for some people that's the only way that they're gonna get any political info anyway. But I do agree with some of you that the current American political scene is disgusting. With all of these attack ads from both of the major parties it just seems like no one cares about the concerns of the average working American.

rocco said:
With all of these attack ads from both of the major parties it just seems like no one cares about the concerns of the average working American.

Thats the definition of American Politics. :)

-Geoffrey

Personally, I think politics is to politicians as hip hop is to Vanilla Ice...

What we call "politics" in our society is really "governing". But "politics" also refers to the complex interactions of social relationships we're all enmeshed in...and if we leave that out of music, we're not really left with a whole lot.

I recently read something Plato said about this situation that has stuck with me: The penalty for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Last edited:
Hope everyone has had a chance to read the review on Steve in Rolling Stone... if not check out

www.rollingstone.com/steveearle

Excellent Quote!!

The penalty for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Both are idiots.

One thinks he is the son of God and is bent on bombing the entire Middle East. Except for Isreal, because God loves Isreal.

While the other is bent on sending the United States to the biggest deficit a nation has ever gone through in the history of this planet.

As for Political Music, I like RATM and SOAD.

Last edited:
That quote is awesome, and it is totally relevent to voting, too. If you don't participate (vote), you will end up being governed by people you didn't want. I like anti-flag for political music. and by the way, alice's restaurant great song!

Shenlong said:
Both are idiots.

One thinks he is the son of God and is bent on bombing the entire Middle East. Except for Isreal, because God loves Isreal.

While the other is bent on sending the United States to the biggest deficit a nation has ever gone through in the history of this planet.

Um, "is bent on" vs. "has actually accomplished the goal of"?

Back