Nirvana isn't really grunge?

V

ViceVersado

I've listened to the Nevermind album a lot lately.
I love it so much I wanted to get more music like it.
So I've been digging in grunge catergory....

Its nothing like Nirvanas music. (Save depressing Lyrics)

Who SOUNDS like Nirvana? I'm talking about the way those guitars sound during the verses, the bassy spacy effects, who else sounds like that?

Nobody sounds like Nirvana. Can't ever replace Kurt's vocals. The grunge era in general created many great grungy bands but all of them sounded different. Some tried to copy others (e.g. Bush), but that didn't go so far...

pretty much back then what classified you as grunge was being from seattle, lol, its so true. at the time its like the only new rock coming out was all from seattle.

no body can replace kobain...no album will everrrrrrrrrr be like nevermind..thats all i really can say lol

it depends what you mean. if you're looking for samples, then soundgarden have a similar sound.
but kurt was a genius without equal.

Maybe this is obvious, but there's always more Nirvana:

Incesticide
Bleach
In Utero

In Utero especially is amazing sounding...

the great part abotu that era and the bands is no one sounded the same. alice and chains is not grundge btw :D

nirvana
stp
mudhoney
L7
sonic youth
varuga sault
weezer
i wouldnt say pumpkins but they are alternative

im sure theirs more but cant think of any. def listen to these ppl

Scars Over Broadway kinda gives me a "Nirvanna Vibe"(not saying they sound "alike", just a similar vibe. It's wierd because that group is composed of a few members of SOD, SOB sound like System also, and System sounds nothing at all like Nirvanna and has no "Nirvanna Vibe" whatsoever.

As someone else stated, groups from that era each had their own sound. There was only one Green Day, One Smashing Pumpkins, One R.E.M., One No Doubt, One Snot, one NIN.

Last edited:
Yeah, co-sign Weezer. Definitly check out all Weezer's stuff. Funny, I just had "Buddy Holly" running through my head before I even logged on to FP......

Last edited by a moderator:
its sad bands will never ever be this good again live or studio smh

Why do we put so much emphasis on "what happened to real hip hop". I hate to say it, but "real rock" took a way harder hit. WTF happened to the days of "real rock"? Now we gotta settle for Chester French, The Jonas Brothers...These dudes don't Rock!!!!

They make dope music, but Dave Matthews Band did as well, and DMB indeed did not rock.

What happened to the NINs and Perfect Circles, Weezers, Smashing Pumpkins, and Stain'ds hell, Puddle of Muds, even Limp Bizkits?

Nirvana was crap. good lyric writing lousy part writing. lots of flange/chorus to cover up for mediocre playing.

Nirvana was more about original punk that waited to long to get out. Unlike Green Day which is post punk. Punk players could rarely if at all connect three chords. writing and performance were visceral rather then intelectual.

The reason why grunge died was because the mainstream had enough of the self-pity sound. If anything Jonas Brothers are about hope as were,,,Hanson. They are fresh faces singing new songs just as the bealtes were in the beginning. When one starts a carreer singing about dispare and self loathing there aren't a lot of directions you can take music to without being percieved as a sell out.

I respect where you are coming from Deranged however the past is not prologue.
Yes. artists don't try to challenge themselves in the same way they used to. But is it always worth the end result?

EG Beat it by Michael Jackson. EVH was not a studio musician. He was intimidated by the whole production process. He laid down 20 different takes for his part. Not one of them cut the mustard. Quncy Jones spent more time on mixing EVH's track for that one song then for the entire album. Eventually he fount three different takes that could work and mixed between them to produce the end result.

Back