New Metallica album - Saint.Anger

I heard a snippet today, cool to hear james using his voice again.....so do any of yall know why they decided to get hard again?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the return to the harder rocking stuff has been because of fans bitching about how great the 1st 4 albums were and still are. And how the self-titled album made them sell-out, then 2 pretty crappy albums, a "light" live album, a few soundtrack appearances and an album of covers made the band seem like a bunch of p*ssies. I think it just made them realize they need to rock again.

I'm so glad this album kicks @ss.

so the radio has been playing saint anger about 1 every half and hour since yesterday, and to tell you the truth this track aint as much as I expected, I guess I expected some really metal sounding guitars with some metallica trademark soloing, yet the guitars sounded like they were tuned down 1 or 11/2 steps and they played straight power chords. plus the way the drums were miked, im not really feelin the way they hit, expecially the snares. hhhmmmm, anyone that heard the album......is it all within this same sound?

I guess I'm lucky because Atlanta radio is hardly playing the new stuff.

:rolleyes:

There are other hard tracks on the disc. My only suggestion is to turn off the radio. Its the only way to give Clear Channel and Infinity Broadcasting the middle finger.

they phuckin up cause they keep playing saint anger and follow it up with older metallica. they just paired it with One, wow when you put those togethor there is no comparison, how you gonna devolve as artist? excpecially over 10 years....I think fame has really hampered the emotion they put behind their music like so many other bands.....(RHCP comes to mind as well)

Maybe they should all start taking drugs again. STP's music was the best when Weiland was high on the herion. You can definitely tell the difference.

yeah its a damn shame that people need drugs to motivate them musically. All I do is smoke weed, without it I still can get really deep into my music, but with it It puts me on a whole nother level (or at least I think so at the time ):p

its real wierd how in the rock genre alot of the greatest music was inspired by the use of drugs and/or alcohol (not all I am actually proly being stereotypical) yet other genres such as commercial hip hop, wich you can sense the lack of emotion, proly are the result of limited drug use, I know the rappers proly smoke weed and drink yet im sure alot of the producers keep a straight head. but yeah alot of the music that I can sense has heart put into it is the result of heavy drug use examples
older RHCP
alice in chains
grateful dead
older metallica
older STP
this list can go on and on......
of course I see a more philosophical reason for this phenomon, but ill keep it outta here.

JpL said:

its real wierd how in the rock genre alot of the greatest music was inspired by the use of drugs and/or alcohol (not all I am actually proly being stereotypical) yet other genres such as commercial hip hop, wich you can sense the lack of emotion, proly are the result of limited drug use, I know the rappers proly smoke weed and drink yet im sure alot of the producers keep a straight head.

In the rock world, the producers tend to indulge just as much as the rock stars themselves.

shaq D said:

In the rock world, the producers tend to indulge just as much as the rock stars themselves.

ha I kinda of figured that, but do you think any of them that act as engineers/producers are gettin phucked up as well?

shaq D said:
Maybe they should all start taking drugs again. STP's music was the best when Weiland was high on the herion. You can definitely tell the difference.

lol, which albums was he high and not high on? I know someone was high on the making of the sour girl video. Thats what happens too many mornings burned out with the munchies watchin teletubbies.

Actually, that's the one album he's been sober for.

The director of that video however is on crack. At least my ex-gf Sarah Michelle Gellar was lucky enough to make an appearance. After "Tiny Music" came out, he was in and out of rehab clinics the most. And of course he's been arrested a number of times since.

While I'm no fan of the load albums, I think it's fine if you change your style or/and tempo,if you can pull it off. But Metallica plays the hard fast songs so well, no wonder we all want the "old" band sound. But I guess it can get a bit tiresome, if you want to try different things and your fans "won't let you".

About Newsted.
I think the real reason he wanted to leave was that he wanted to do different stuff on the side and the Hetfield didn't like it one bit. Reports from MTV have been of that sort. If you are in Metallica, you play in Metallica etc...
He seems to be into alot of non metal stuff and a guy who wants to push his own musical limits. Something Metallica isn't ready to do just yet ( if ever ).
I don't think he left because they sell too much, like somebody mentioned ? That would be a lame excuse.

Yes, I used to make jokes about sleeping with people who used to post on here's mom's, but that got old.:D

Back