A little help please

nosniktar

hey
so i'm starting a new band
gonna try some covers for a while so here's the thing
what to play!
I wanna play some nirvana, some foo's, muse....etc
so what does everybody think are the songs you wanna hear!
thanks in advance for the replies

I guess that depends on what your target audience is going to be. If you wanna play for a bar crowd then I would learn all the old stand-by rock songs. Like CCR, Steve Miller, etc. Throw in some newer songs (red hot chili peppers, nickelback, etc.) mixed with some oldies (Beatles, All Green, Richie Valens, etc.). You get a 4 hour set together and you'll easily make $200 - $500 per night if you're good.

If you just wanna play for fun, then just play what you want. It really depends on where you want to go with your band.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Grips. Hope I'm not being too obvious here but I'd also suggest:

Stay away from too much slow crap and keep stuff people can dance to ... the more they dance the more they drink and the more they drink the more the owner will be happy to hire you again

by all means play a couple originals but don't advertise the fact you are playing them... crowd reaction is usually pretty poor once you tell them you are about to play one of your own ... I don't know for sure what the mentality behind that is, someone smarter than me can figure that out ... I usually get a better reaction when I tell them afterwards that we wrote the tune [of course it depends on the venue]

Finally, stick with stuff you can actually play and still sound decent; most people would rather hear a good version of a simple tune than a terrible version of a complicated one

Journey is always a good suggestion for the young bar crowd. Always gets the fists pumping and the drunks singing along.

Back