Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joy Division

studiomurk is offline Registered User
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Fan of Joy Division here. When I was whoring out Unknown Pleasures, I was pretty much an emo kid who thought he was Ian Curtis.
    http://soundcloud.com/studiomurk/ripples
    http://soundcloud.onloop.net/ - Find out who isn't following you back on Soundcloud.

After the Plague is offline Registered User
    Its not for me but I can definetly see people liking this sort of music. Its just not for me

thunderkyss is offline Registered User
    Wow.. funny thing, I was just going through my old New Order stuff the other day.

I don't listen to much of today's music, so I can't really help you.

Type_1a is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mellflores1 View Post
    Hello everyone! So, Joy Division. Before I start, I'm going to STRONGLY suggest you all listen to them. The music is great, original and extremely influential.
    But, the reason I started this thread is because I'm finding it difficult to find bands similar to Joy Division. I find that no other Post-Punk band sounds like them. So, if anyone could help me out, it would be appreciated!
    i have unknown pleasures, substance, and closer... i even have some warsaw singles somewhere collecting dust...

for similar stuff maybe check out really old ultravox (like circa 1977)

Smokable is offline Registered User
    Joy division are the leaders of the post punk movement. Check out the film " 24/7 party people " in order to understand why they were important and what era did they come in.
    Last edited by Smokable; 08-23-2012 at 10:56 AM.

jaroslav.celujko is offline Registered User
    She lost controolll!

CopyKitten is offline Registered User
    they seem to be the one band that no matter what..NEVER becomes uncool to like

Teddy Bass is offline Registered User
    Joy Division was important in the sense that they redefined relationships between instruments within a rock band format. The guitar was pulled back to be more even with the bass and drums. Their bass ( Peter Hook) played his bass an octave higher than what was the norm at the time, giving it more of a lead instrument position. The drums were more mathematical and precise like a drum machine and the guitar in some space between rhythm and lead. This may sound all "meh" now..but in 1979, this was quite radical..now you have a huge number of artist ranging from U2 to NIN name checking JD as a crucial influence.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

The Ian Curtis biopic "Control" is good as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information