Jimi Hendrix ...

ahh...the scene.

Country bumpkin flag wavers, blues nazis, and very bad cover bands dominate the live scene here in and around Houston. It stinks. There is a very small jazz scene where (of course) the best players are.

Good musicians, intuitive musicians, people who understand chord changes and can *hear* are extremely hard to find. I came here from California 6 years ago, and it sure as hell ain't LA.

But there are jewels in the rough, you just have to wear the miners helmet with the little light on all the time.

I like the new, the progressive, and the creative things one can do with music. I was not born to be an effin jukebox, like the clubowners in Houston want.

So I stay in my studio most of the time. I play the blues to stay sharp on my vocals, that's about all.

Hey, Edison!

Sometimes it's the most fun looking for those diamonds in the rough.

If there were beaches filled with diamonds instead of sand, we'd just all have cut up feet.

Or something. Where's my coffee?

[PS... listening to The Blue Thing right now. You got a license for all that smoldering, smooth and groovin' blues? Damn, I'd think they'd be eatin' that up out that way. Sweet fatbackin' and great, in your face leads... sharp band. Cool track.]

Last edited:
TK!!

Man, just gotta find a band in this town to do it. That recording of "blue thing" was done in San Diego CA in 1997 at a nice pro ADAT studio. The band was called "Skin 'n' Ink", I did guitar and vox, and most of the writing.

Had to come to Texas because of my dad's health (he has the nasty variety of Lupus), and have been frustrated ever since! Tough scene to get anything going in. It's like the geographical size of LA with 10% as many good players. sh*t.

Did find a fine guitarist about a week ago tho. We just live 35 miles apart, that's all...

TK, you rokk!

P.S. I grew up in L.A., ya know?

That's tough about your dad. I hope he's doing as well as possible. Sometimes just being there is about all you can do. But that can be immeasurably reasuring... although dads especially are pretty bad about letting you know about these things.

;)

Last edited:
Sorry, bout your dad, Ed. That sucks.

I know a few bands closer to the Dallas area who aren't that fond of the scene there. I don't think I could live somewhere that has such a large country following. Do you have a link to your stuff? I'm jealous of blue.

Back