Coldplay

"The Man Who" is one of my all-time favorites though. I wish they had gotten more notariety a few years back.

I've heard (through the old grapevine rather than personally) that Travis' earlier material was a bit harder than 'The Man Who' and 'The Invisible Band' but I agree, 'The Man Who' is a very nice album to listen to.

Do you think they should go back to playing different styles?

Other bands have changed their sound for various reasons to a liter sound:

Sugar Ray
Incubus
Hoobustank

I wish sugar ray never changed their original sound
cause lemonade brownies was off the hook. must be cause its more profitable to have a light sound huh? it would make since because then instead of only getting alternitive radio stations and mtv to play them they are now on pop stations, alternitive, mtv, vh1 etc....

Having been in bands myself, it can be difficult to maintain an interest in what you play and also to keep the listening public interested if you stick to the same style (think Oasis!!).

I guess a change in sound is what some bands need to kick start their professional careers (Travis, Manic Street Preachers...) whilst it is what others need in order to keep them from losing interest in the monotony.

I've never heard any of Travis' early material (pre 'The Man Who') so I can't comment on whether their change was for the better or not but clearly it was from the point of view of national/international recognition.

:)

Modifying a sound is one thing, but if a band does a 180 they should change their name (Sugar Ray was once known as the Shrinky Dinks).

I've been informed that old Travis sounded like snobby brit-rock. I'm not exactly sure what that means though.

Years ago, if a band changed their look or sound it was easy to cover up. Now, thanks to Al Gore and the internet, old info on a band or solo rock stars can be dug up easily. www.metal-sludge.com is a great place to see Sully Erna of Godsmack with his old band and a mullet. There are countless others there too.

Funny thing about ther labels thinking people get tired of a record after six spins. It usually takes me more than six listens before I even like some stuff.

I didn't care for the early Travis, they had a big hit in Europe with "All I wanna do is rock". Not good. They made up for it with their two next albums, why they haven't gotten bigger in the US I don't understand. They write great songs.

Coldplay are fine, but just a bit boring. They are one of the many bands who finally seem to be out of Radioheads shadow.

Every Coldplay fan should check out Embrace and Elbow, both bands are from UK and have records in the US that are great.
I prefer them both to Coldplay.

About changing the sound of your band, it would be suicide for some. Rolling Stones, AC/DC etc. all have to stick to their "trademark" sound. Other bands can and should get away with it, but I think a band like Sugar Ray is just doing it for the $. Do they really want to play weak pop ? If they knew they would sell a ton, I'm sure they would plug in the guitars again. ( then they would write weak rock songs ) he he... :D

Back