Avril Lavigne

I agree with j-traxx, and to prove my point, I will compare her lyrics to another rock song by another rock artist in order to clarify and contrast the awfull quality of Avrils songwritting skills.

A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras

Threw you the obvious
And you flew with it on your back
A name in your recollection
Down among a million, say:
Difficult enough to feel a little bit
Disappointed, passed over.
When I've looked right through,
To see you naked and oblivious
and you don't see me

Well I threw you the obvious,
Just to see if there's more behind the
Eyes of a fallen angel,
Eyes of a tragedy.

Here I am expecting just a little bit
Too much from the wounded
But I see,
See through it all,
See through,
And see you.

So I threw you the obvious
Do you see what occurs behind the
Eyes of a fallen angel
Eyes of a tragedy

Well, oh well..

Apparently nothing.
Apparently nothing at all.

You don't
You don't
You don't see me
You don't
You don't
You don't see me
You don't
You don't
You don't see me
You don't
You don't
You don't see me at all

Compared to:

Avril Lavigne - Happy Ending

So much for my happy ending
Oh oh, oh oh, oh oh...

Let's talk this over
It's not like we're dead
Was it something I did?
Was it something You said?
Don't leave me hanging
In a city so dead
Held up so high
On such a breakable thread

You were all the things I thought I knew
And I thought we could be

[Chorus:]
You were everything, everything that I wanted
We were meant to be, supposed to be, but we lost it
And all of the memories, so close to me, just fade away
All this time you were pretending
Oh oh, oh oh, oh oh...

You've got your dumb friends
I know what they say
They tell you I'm difficult
But so are they
But they don't know me
Do they even know you?
All the things you hide from me
All the **** that you do

You were all the things I thought I knew
And I thought we could be

[Chorus]

It's nice to know that you were there
Thanks for acting like you cared
And making me feel like I was the only one
It's nice to know we had it all
Thanks for watching as I fall
And letting me know we were done

[Chorus x2]

[x2]
Oh oh, oh oh, oh oh...

Oh oh, oh oh, oh oh...

Unlike the APC, Avril Lavigne makes absolutely no use of any literary devices and writes in ordinary everyday language. The content isnt very enlightening either, its the kind of gossip you hear from dramatic teenagers in high schools (I heard they were talking sh*t! Why are you talking sh*t), and quite frankly I am tired of it. If you still can not see the difference in the quality of lyrical content, then there is not much I can say.

I mean seriously, this is the kind of stuff I wrote in the 9th grade. And to take into consideration the fact that singles are usually the only good songs in the album, the rest of her album must REAAAALLY blow.

EDIT: Blow Hard.

Last edited:
Shenlong said:

Avril Lavigne - Happy Ending

Oh oh, oh oh, oh oh...

Let's talk this over
It's not like we're dead
Was it something I did?
Was it something You said?
Don't leave me hanging
In a city so dead
Held up so high
On such a breakable thread

o my god!!! look at her scheme. the second time it never crossed her mind that she couldv'e said "dread" instead of "dead" in describing the city she was left hanging over.

i'm going to puke now.

j-traxx said:

o my god!!! look at her scheme. the second time it never crossed her mind that she couldv'e said "dread" instead of "dead" in describing the city she was left hanging over.

i'm going to puke now.

Bonus points to Jim Morrison for finding something other than "higher" to rhyme with "fire". You have to work at it to get "pyre" and "mire" to work in a song.

That said, I get the impression that Arvil is kind of harder edged bubble gum pop. Like, say, Debbie Gibson (now Deborah), only with a guitar. There's always a place for bubble gum pop; I myself have some in my collection (though I won't admit to what.) Hey, kids could start with Avril, and go to Green Day, or Blink 182, and eventually, end up at the Dead Kennedys or the Misfits, or Anthrax, or something like that.

Speaking of which, I saw three kids (couldn't have been older than 14) the other day. One in a Misfits shirt, one in Iron Maiden, and one from a a similar vintage. My wife (a big Misfits fan) and myself (a big Iron Maiden fan) both had to restrain ourselves from laughing at these, *children*, and their choice of garb. Even I don't wear Iron Maiden shirts any more, and I'm old enough to have seen them tour when Bruce was relatively new to the band...

Sorry, it's late and I'm rambling, I'll stop now...

ill agree her lyrics suck, but this thread was started because someone was accusing her of not knowing how to play guitar and/or sing.

j-traxx said:

i'm going to puke now.

That is what I was saying as well.

As for ability to play guitar, I am not capable of complementing since I am not familiar with her guitar skills. Maybe Mackie would be more eligible for commenting. Actually I think he allready did.

Last edited:
I think Avril is a mediocre singer. It's not like she's the worst in the world. I saw her live, and she did pretty good considering her cheeks were all swollen from the dentist. Now, Amy Lee - that girl can sing.

j-traxx said:
biatch please. screw her money!!!

scince when is money a measure of virtue and talent. (william hung) her songwriting on that song is so predictable i knew what she was saying before she said it. she is very successful in the business of music but in the musicianship of songwriting and playing...she is most definately lacking indeed. maybe the money wipes away the blinding truth of the lack of talent she has.

you two are treating her as if she's james taylor or something. she sucks at songwriting and it's obvious. i hope she makes all the money she can. god bless her but i wont kiss her feet just because she's rich. shyt... so are the "ying yang twins". i dont care for avril to fall over and die...i just want her to put out some really good music...like maybe john mayer perhaps. he's worth every penny.

Much like Brittney Spears she was produced by the record company. The difference is, Avril is targeted towards the 'alternative' kids. The kids who feel 'left out'. The music buisness knows that Teeny-boppers arnt the only ones buying music. And that there is a whole culture that they needed to address. Avril was the result. The thing is, she isnt authentic and the 'punk' crowd knows that. On top of that, the 'punk/emo' style is in. She fits right in there with the Hot Topic crowd.

As for her playing skills? Its more of a prop. Shes not doing much more than strumming barre chords...

-Geoffrey

guess who's on the cover of this month's cosmopolitan?

yes, thats right, avril lavigne

when i saw this i almost fell over i was laughing so hard

dont believe me?

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/

what will come of this? im not sure, but i think avril should just drop the whole punk thing at this point and pursue something more vanessa carlton/michelle branch-ish. if you look deep you can find some good, label-produced, lyrics in both of their music. not to mention some real musical talent.

Last edited:
Man, ya'll some truly bitter fuks.

The b!tch is annoying though. Kind of like ya'lls elitist, holier than thou, I am the greatest musician/songwriter ever made who's not getting paid attitudes. Lovely.

Last edited:
I don't mind her that much. I like some of her songs. I think aligning her with Ashlee Simpson is a bit harsh.

Shenlong - You ever watched Jay Leno when he's asking people on the street various questions. Most of the questions are simple but the people are just dumb as hell. They won't even know what "oblivious" means. That's probably why Avril is more popular than 3 Libras because more people know what "sad" and "mad" mean as opposed to "oblivious" and "acrimonious"

Furiobeats said:
Man, ya'll some truly bitter fuks.

The b!tch is annoying though. Kind of like ya'lls elitist, holier than thou, I am the greatest musician/songwriter ever made who's not getting paid attitudes. Lovely.

dog. her singing and making a lucrative amount off of it is like being a pro bowler but you still got the bumpers up. spare me the jealousy talk. you look up to her if you want.

j-traxx said:

dog. her singing and making a lucrative amount off of it is like being a pro bowler but you still got the bumpers up. spare me the jealousy talk. you look up to her if you want.

Ain't nobody looking up to her but ain't nobody critizing her either. You're pretty adept at that.

She still needs autotune and i find her music annoying...

since when did it become such a big deal not to like someones music?

it's like you said komplex. it's ok not to like it, but no one cares why you don't. no disrespect intended.

I like it when she and her band pulls out the acoustic guitars. I like her second album, its more grown up than that sktr8 boy preteen crap...I dont know what you bitter guys really expect from pop music. Dare I say, the beatles were NEVER lyrically complex and I bet all of you are on their balls. She performs the right songs for her market.

Back