Where do you get your vocals

Devota_Exzyl

Hello there,

I'm a vocalist/songwriter (can't call myself producer just yet) and I just love EDM genres, especially deep house / Bass / Uk garage type. And, I've been collaborating with different types of producers and was wondering how do most people get their vocals?

This will probably seem like a stupid question, but what's people's favorite way of getting vocals? The use of samples is it a stylistic choice or because you haven't found the appropriate vocalist?

:)

x.

Depends on the genre. Back in the day, we'd (DNB Producers) jack our vocals from acapellas of commercially released material such as rap and/or urban music. Chop and serve. Nowadays, they employ actual singers per track because that style of DNB is pretty much dead. So now its real ladies/gentlemen who sing specifically for that track.

I did have a feeling that the use of vocal samples kinda shifted towards working with vocalists, but was wondering why.

Never actually thought of the actual genre shift.. I based my assumptions on how easy it is nowadays to collaborate with musicians from anywhere due to the lovely world wide web. Thanks for enlightening me :)

Even still tho, if you get on the right track of someone who is well established...and you kill it...people will seek you out. Just have that facebook/soundcloud ready to go so its easier to find you and get in touch when they start typing your name into google.

Because I have no connections in the singing fields, I just use existing vocals for remixes so that I don't have to reject people if they want to give me their vocals and they end up being shit. Or just slice up vocal samples and see where that takes me. Maybe if I gather some popularity I might get more vocal submissions and build from there. I also never want to be able to write the lyrics myself.

When I use vocals, it's just little sampled snippets. I never work with a vocalist in mind because of the difficulty to find someone (with good quality) willing to do the job.

If you're looking for studio acapellas, there's always Acapellas4U. Those are reliable, though there are the rare cases of poor DIY 'pellas. I've tried purchasing a couple from Loopmasters but I hardly use them.

I'm noticing in a lot of music i listen to, vocal snippets have been chopped from popular tracks and re-arranged to make phrases. I do the same thing if i find a nice vocal to use. A lot of artists get acapellas from you tube some are studio quality and some are DIY jobs..

Depends on the genre. Back in the day, we'd (DNB Producers) jack our vocals from acapellas of commercially released material such as rap and/or urban music. Chop and serve. Nowadays, they employ actual singers per track because that style of DNB is pretty much dead. So now its real ladies/gentlemen who sing specifically for that track.
The things is, most good vocalists are artists in their own right who want to do their own thing.
So either you have to write the kind of music that appeals to them already, (not likely as most vocalists like vocal centered music, indie, singer-songwritery stuff, pop, rock etc) or agree to come to some kind of compromise.

Although you're not guaranteed the best quality, i've had reasonable success from using reddits subreddit /r/IsolatedVocals/

Reddits search function (for once) works quite well in this case..

As mentioned above acapellas4u are a reliable source also.

sometimes i sample them, create them from text to speech type plugins or just use my own voice with loads of effects, depends on the track.

If I want original vocals I generally look for new original material either by digging for artists on sites like Soundcloud or by going to local vocal teachers and sharing a audition form. I have even gone to the music building at our local University and posted up "looking for singers/songwriters" ads with great success. Not everything is good that comes from it but you can generally find some pretty talented people. You would be surprised how many people will come to your come studio to record just for the opportunity. I should note I have a decent home recording studio so tracking a professional (enough) product is not an issue.

Hi

If you think you are a trance producer talent please send you demo to emission.recordings at gmail.com don't forget to like our page on Facebook. Faebook.com/emissionrecordings

Hi there,, there is a site called vocalizr that is made to put producer and vocalist in contact. You just have demo of what the other do and you can contact them via message. I have been using that website but the only problem is that vocalist usually ask for a fee without any proof of the result beforehand. However it works.. :)

Back