Are there any IDM fans out there?

steffeeh

I haven't seen that many people who loves IDM-music on this forum. If there are any, please step forward. :)
What artists/groups are you into?
I'm talking about both pure IDM and music blended with other genres as well.

Last edited:
steffeeh, what/who do you call IDM? I'm not familiar with the genre. Can you point me some directions?

intelligent dance music

kind of math rock meets electronica with a steady thumping kick

see this for an overview of idm http://cec.sonus.ca/econtact/14_4/ramsay_acousmatic-idm.html

as for specific artists - not much really but I do enjoy the challenges of creating it; there is a purist perspective as well that insists for it to be idm it has to be obscure.

a brief list taken from wikipedia (take this a with a grain of salt as usual): Autechre, Atom Heart, LFO, Aphex Twin, µ-ziq and Luke Vibert, The Orb, Richard H. Kirk and Future Sound of London, System 7, William Orbit, Sabres of Paradise, Boards of Canada, Orbital, Plastikman and Björk. (I've removed the editorialist approach of the writing)

a more comprehensive yet limited list can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IDM_artists

there is a forum dedicated to it but be wary of the mafiosa that run it: if they dislike you, they will make the moderation seen here seem inconsequential

Last edited:
YES.
I love me some Venetian Snares, Squarepusher, and pretty much anything Warp-related during the '90's-early '00's.

To describe the music a little, it's often very glitchy, but not always.
Further on it's a very wide genre with not that clear boundaries, and many artists produce IDM blended with other genres.

I partly grew up with the different aliases of Richard James (Aphex Twin, AFX, Polygon Window, Caustic Window etc) and The Future Sound Of London, but not until maybe a year ago I started to more actively search for more music, and I was not disappointed :)
Now I'm very into the new generation of IDM.
I'm not that into Venetian Snares and Squarepusher (but I just love the album cover on Venetian Snare's album Song About My Cats haha).

Some artists (except the old classics): Enabl.ed, Jon Hopkins, Apparat, Moderat, Telefon Tel Aviv, Access To Arasaka, Four Tet, The Flashbulb, Proem, defrag etc.

My brother is very into Autechre, but I really don't understand their music.. :)

The Flashbulb - It Pours - YouTube

Jon Hopkins - Collider // 303 - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi-ma-W4oTc

Last edited:
I would say it works both ways. There are Glitch/Glitch-hop/Glitch-pop etc, but then the word glitch itself is a very good word to describe a lot of the IDM-artists (in other words, nothing formal, just a word I find suitable), I don't know what else words I should use to describe some tracks or artists (maybe a crashing harddrive for Autechre :) ).

So, I normally listen to Venetian Snares, but I always believed he played breakcore. And following the same line, I listen to Enduser and Distimia, as well, they are artists that are mostly classified as breakcore.

It is breakcore, but not only breakcore, his music includes IDM as well as other genres. At least that's my impression when I searched him on different sites.

It is breakcore, but not only breakcore, his music includes IDM as well as other genres. At least that's my impression when I searched him on different sites.

That's funny, because I found his music mostly under breakcore genre. Anyways, I guess if Dream Theater would play electronic music, they'd play IDM, am I right? ;)

don't really make it but love it a lot.

forced exposure, warp, mille plateaux, tigerbeat6, rephlex, planet mu

all such fun idm stuff.

i like IDM, but why is it more "intelligent?" is, say, deadmaus less intelligent because he's worth 100 million making more simplistic shit?

you miss the point it is about using complex rhythmic ideas and complex audio production skills to make dance music for the masses, add in more complex ideas about harmony and you have the trifecta that constitutes the inner core of idm - as I said in my first post it is more like math rock meets edm

It's just a name. It's not smarter than many other electronic genres.

Funny notice: Speaking of deadmau5, check out one of the versions of "Creep" (the one on for example Spotify, haven't found it on Youtube), and "How To Destroy Angels - Ice age (deadmau5 Remix)". I can definately hear an influence from this genre. He has also mentioned IDM sometimes in his live broadcast before, as well played tracks in the backround.

Last edited:
Back