Opinions on skrillex?

Despite not liking his sound at first, Skrillex is very talented. He is a very skilled producer and has a unique style (which everyone is trying to copy). The reason I hold him as an influence is because he is about as real as you can get. He made his most popular songs on a laptop and headphones in his bedroom with no fancy studio or anything, released his stuff on Beatport for free before signing to mau5trap (and that stuff still was only on Beatport). He makes more with less and that is what makes him an inspiration to me.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Oh yea. In response to Skrillex being "dubstep", I don't classify him as dubstep at all. You can hear dubstep influence in his music but he draws more from electro and heavy metal than anything else.

Despite not liking his sound at first, Skrillex is very talented. He is a very skilled producer and has a unique style (which everyone is trying to copy). The reason I hold him as an influence is because he is about as real as you can get. He made his most popular songs on a laptop and headphones in his bedroom with no fancy studio or anything, released his stuff on Beatport for free before signing to mau5trap (and that stuff still was only on Beatport). He makes more with less and that is what makes him an inspiration to me.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Oh yea. In response to Skrillex being "dubstep", I don't classify him as dubstep at all. You can hear dubstep influence in his music but he draws more from electro and heavy metal than anything else.

Definitely not Heavy Metal! I don't hear any fast drums or really sweet guitar solos. Korn is about as close to Heavy Metal as he gets and if you think that's Metal, you don't know what Metal is. Not trying to bash you or anything, but I don't understand why people compare Dubstep to Metal. They are two totally different styles of music. I would compare Dubstep to Hip-Hop way before I compared it to Metal. In some sense Trance is more like Metal than Dubstep, but that's not saying much.

Last edited:
He's a nice guy and makes cool music. It all depends on your taste... Also seeing someone live can completely change your opinion about them

He's a nice guy and makes cool music. It all depends on your taste... Also seeing someone live can completely change your opinion about them

From what I've seen Skrillex does next to nothing live lol. Not that I care at all but as a DJ I've never seen him doing anything impressive. Pretty much seems like he just plays the songs. Again not a knock on him just an observation. As for a producer I think he is unreal. I'm definitely a fan and have nothing negative to say.

I agree again, I saw him live and while he may not have been doing nothing, the sounds were crazy.

Skrillex is a nice guy in my opinion and also his music.
Skrillex is the guy who got the music in my country.. His tracks are nice.
But after a while it gets boring to listen to it..because he uses the same sounds too much in tracks
but overall i like him and his music!

It's kinda difficult to classify him - what genre would you put him in?

I would say he's complextro, Most of his songs fits perfectly there; House drums, Dubstep basses and switching between a shitload of synths and basses really fast.
However, some of his tracks are dubstep, atleast the drums, but he still keeps the complextro element of switching basses and synths.

So yeah, it is difficult, but i'd say he's complextro.

I think he has ghost producers and he's just the image.

If this is true Skrillex isn't exactly the poster child for a "Star" or "Front man" by any means lol. Would seem like some horrible marketing strategy. I guess he looks unique enough but seems like a bit of a stretch. I don't think his image or any gimmick is what sells people at all. 99% the music.

Well I don't really like his music but I will admit that he is really talented. I can criticize his tracks until I'm blue in the face but every time I hear a new remix he did I'm blown away at the production. Now if he has a ghost producer in the background or not is totally debatable. I mean, making those kinds of tracks is really, really difficult.

And someone that young that went from being in an emo band to producing electronic music (I will not call it dubstep because in all honesty it really isn't) and blowing up the way he did does raise lots of questions. But I guess anything is possible. Judging by the interviews I've read and seen on youtube he does seem like a very persistent guy, so who knows. It's almost as if he just kept going and going... trying different things until he found something that worked.

I don't like Skrillex really at all... I think its mostly his personality for me though... I do like DS music that is similar like that of Flux Pavilion and Bassnectar; I dunno he just seems a little pretentious to me

Skrillex is a guilty pleasure for me. He definitely has a recognizable sound which is why he's such a big name; rarely can you recognize a "dubstep" artist after hearing a few notes. he also has solid song-structures, usually.

All the frat bro's love him, though.

I like Skrillex. He does dub step much better than the old Clown Step and Wobble step fools that couldn't make it in Drum'n Bass who tried to move into dubstep. Drum n' Bass became a joke with the underground kiddies couldn't keep up with guys like Planet of the Drums, Diselboy, and DJ Dara who were doing some sick stuff. Now you have skrillex and you have the same underground low skilled and mostly jealous producers yelling skrillex sucks cause their own production techniques aren't up to par...You see the same thing with some of the lower skilled producers hating on guys like Chus and Ceballos, Victor Calderone, David Tort, and so on.... You even see it in Hip hop with guys hating on Snoop, Eminem, and Rick Ross (Boss...). Stop hating and get busy trying to stop sucking....

lol hating on Snoop, Em and Ross (I don't hate on them but find it amusing that you mention them). These 3 artists give people a reason to hate on them.

All very valid reasons for Hip Hop fans to turn on these artists.

I like Skrillex. He does dub step much better than the old Clown Step and Wobble step fools that couldn't make it in Drum'n Bass who tried to move into dubstep. Drum n' Bass became a joke with the underground kiddies couldn't keep up with guys like Planet of the Drums, Diselboy, and DJ Dara who were doing some sick stuff. Now you have skrillex and you have the same underground low skilled and mostly jealous producers yelling skrillex sucks cause their own production techniques aren't up to par...You see the same thing with some of the lower skilled producers hating on guys like Chus and Ceballos, Victor Calderone, David Tort, and so on.... You even see it in Hip hop with guys hating on Snoop, Eminem, and Rick Ross (Boss...). Stop hating and get busy trying to stop sucking....

Your ignorant.

Back