Lil Jon killed the game

This is the new sound of EDM. People go nuts over this in the club.

I think you should ask David Guetta, Deadmau5, Noisia, Skrillex, Daft Punk (just to name a few) what would they do now that "mighty" Lil Jon has entered the game. I'll be waiting for you to post here their responses.

I think you should ask David Guetta, Deadmau5, Noisia, Skrillex, Daft Punk (just to name a few) what would they do now that "mighty" Lil Jon has entered the game. I'll be waiting for you to post here their responses.

Those acts are going to either change their styles to compete, collaborate with Lil Jon, or be forced to go back underground. The game has changed. The challenge has been presented. Adapt or die for many acts.

Let's face it; many of these electronic acts need help. Daft Punk has been making music since the 90s but only achieved moderate success until Kanye West sampled them and Pharrell collaborated with them. Electronic acts need that edge to differentiate themselves. Four-on-the-floor beats tend to blend together without something extra.

Last edited:
Let's see: in 2013, Calvin Harris made US$ 46 million, Tiësto US$ 32 million, David Guetta US$ 30 million, Swedish House Mafia US$ 25 million, Deadmau5 US$ 21 million, just to name the top five EDM DJs that earned more money, according to Forbes, at this link: Electronic Cash Kings 2013: The World's Highest-Paid DJs - Forbes

I really DOUBT they'd go back underground as you said.

Do a collab with Lil Jon? Perhaps. There are other hip-hop artists on the world collaborating with EDM producers/DJs.

Change their styles? No. Why? Because of the above mentioned sum of money they make, doing what they do best.

Wait a minute... if Lil Jon is jumping into EDM, isn't that a sign he's changing HIS style to compete?

The song still sounds a lot like today's rap beats anyway. I feel like I've heard Wayne on beats like this. There are a couple of snare ramp-ups and a hint of EDM elements here and there, but I don't hear where he's breaking new ground...

I thought Kanye's latest album was more daring into the breakbeat, hard EDM style than this track posted...

Last edited:
That noise some people call song, and that horrific video that went along with it is just another example of everything that has gone wrong on this planet. Mindless junk.

Those acts are going to either change their styles to compete, collaborate with Lil Jon, or be forced to go back underground. The game has changed. The challenge has been presented. Adapt or die for many acts.

Honestly, they're at a completely different level than Lil Jon, or in a completely different game.
If you just take a look on the number of Facebook fans for example, Lil Jon has 4m, deadmau5 almost 9m, Skrillex almost 17m, David Guetta over 50 000 000... and not to mention what kinds of fans they have.
Many of them have brought music into new boundaries and inspired tons of other artists, many of those new artists commercially active and have a steady audience - these big guys sound is here to stay for at least a long time.

Very few knew about French House before Daft Punk broke through (compared to after they rose to prominence).
Not to mention how many new artists I stumble upon that tell me they want to sound like deadmau5. And many of them don't talk about making new singles and clubhits.
Not to mention how long David Guetta has been producing and how long he has been famous.
Not to mention how much Noisia have inspired artists, the same goes with Skrillex who almost created a whole new subgenre.

To expect Lil Jon to push them away is like expecting a bicycle to break through a concrete wall.

Even though someone huge would go into EDM, it wouldn't be any challenge because these guys all sound so different, they all produce different styles and genres and touch different people.
They don't have to worry just because someone famous got into EDM, because it's no genre, it's not a style, it's a collection of several electronic genres and styles that have something in common: they can all be very dancefriendly.
We've all heard huge pop-artists (much bigger than Lil Jon) trying to get into "the game", but they never quite make it that far.

Last edited:
Honestly, they're at a completely different level than Lil Jon, or in a completely different game.
If you just take a look on the number of Facebook fans for example, Lil Jon has 4m, deadmau5 almost 9m, Skrillex almost 17m, David Guetta over 50 000 000... and not to mention what kinds of fans they have.
Many of them have brought music into new boundaries and inspired tons of other artists, many of those new artists commercially active and have a steady audience - these big guys sound is here to stay for at least a long time.

Very few knew about French House before Daft Punk broke through (compared to after they rose to prominence).
Not to mention how many new artists I stumble upon that tell me they want to sound like deadmau5. And many of them don't talk about making new singles and clubhits.
Not to mention how long David Guetta has been producing and how long he has been famous.
Not to mention how much Noisia have inspired artists, the same goes with Skrillex who almost created a whole new subgenre.

To expect Lil Jon to push them away is like expecting a bicycle to break through a concrete wall.

Even though someone huge would go into EDM, it wouldn't be any challenge because these guys all sound so different, they all produce different styles and genres and touch different people.
They don't have to worry just because someone famous got into EDM, because it's no genre, it's not a style, it's a collection of several electronic genres and styles that have something in common: they can all be very dancefriendly.
We've all heard huge pop-artists (much bigger than Lil Jon) trying to get into "the game", but they never quite make it that far.

Why can't I double-like this one?

What I hate even more is DJ samplers using Lil' Jon vocal shots in between tracks during a set. It's gotten pretty outdated already, and one can only listen to him say "eeeyeeeaaaaahhhh" so many times. Strangely enough, when I'm making a track and I don't have a good idea of what vocal drop to use, I resort to it... LAST RESORT, though.

I mean I thought it died once ever one started making high pitched sounds as a drop with out melody and just putting 808s and claps over loud mixes.

Back