Where has all the music gone ? :(((

iambase

@30thJune1986
I don't know how it is for you guys, but I don't know where the music is anymore..

I used to be expecting certain releases etc, now I hardly listen to music, new music at all... And I can hardly appreciate anything.

Is it that composer critical mindset that has taken over or something else ?

Where are all the musical acts ? RnB seems like it has reduced to a niche.. Hiphop got boring to me...

Maybe we are at a crossroad and it is time to switch it up ?

Probably because the album format is dead but at the same time,artists seem to have lost their visibility or maybe it is only me ?

It's still there, but the changes of the past 10-15 yrs have changed the game. No more going to tower to check out new shit, just check new releases on i tunes (but u still miss a lot of underground stuff). I think when you deal with diff genres it helps keep it fresh, even its something u missed out on a couple years back or ol school stuff when u find it its fresh.
I agree that there isn't same level of 'oh shit' artists and consistent long term buzz ain't the same.
Sometimes the pre-album mixtape hype is better than the album.
The good thing is there's a gang of good music out there u just have dig a bit. my 2 cents.

Marketing budgets aren't the same as they used to be unless it's a major artist. The days we remember of big budgets to break artist are few and far between. Alot of new artist get the Saigon treatment and arent really being pushed or becoming buzz worthy. IMO

Remember when everyone - including other artists - hated on Lars Ulrich from Metallica for dogging Napster? He warned us of the impending fallout from having "free music", and now it's here.

Free music isnt the problem, I think it actually helped provide a new media of promotion. Customers now are able to preview album and buy "singles" on itunes that are listen-to-able rather than all the fillers that albums had.

Everything sounds the same because that's what your normal/average listener "likes" IMO.

Free music isnt the problem, I think it actually helped provide a new media of promotion. Customers now are able to preview album and buy "singles" on itunes that are listen-to-able rather than all the fillers that albums had.

Yes, and instead of the buyer spending $12+ on a whole album, they now can spend $1.98 for 2 songs and call themselves a "fan" of the artist. That, to me, is a problem on both the financial & artistic levels.

I don't think free music has anything to do with people "enjoying music". It's people who buy itunes cards, buy music from artist stores, ect. lmao! Free music has been going on since cassette tapes. If it wasn't an internet......you would still be like "hey burn that album for me on CD........make me a cassette of that album. Free music is an excuse. Making the music we listen to appear larger than what it is.........NOW THAT'S THE PROBLEM. We are so used to music being more than it was due to turning on the T.V and seeing this powerful video that has songs playing in it. You go..."wow this is awesome!!!!" We have been tricked all of these years. Flashy videos, radio playing a song 20 times a day, seeing an artist on late night shows. The only way you want to listening to music is if a person pulls a "Kanye on you all". The outcome.........Kanye is larger than life. Reality.....Kanye is an average dude musically. He is a boring dude. He is a punk ass dude with dolls and shit. But you listen to his music and go..."KANYE THE GREATEST RAPPER AND PRODUCER". Got to be kidding me...lmao!

You see folks......you need the media. You always needed them. Without the media, grown ass men wouldn't be crying at an MJ concert. Thriller would've been just a long ass video you like to watch. Anybody remember the premiere of Thriller? Before the actual video it was a whole day on MTV showing the making and the idea behind it. You couldn't wait to see that shit...you didn't want to miss it. Look at Thriller today.....LARGER THAN LIFE. But reality.....it's no better than some of the music out today musically.

I say this..........until we have a definite source for music online...we will continue to feel how we feel. Billboard .com ain't it. The blog sites ain't it. Itunes ain't it. MTV and BET .com ain't it. We need weel organized sites dedicated to music...ON A LARGER LEVEL THAN WHAT WE GET RIGHT NOW. Youtube gets it....but it's not dedicated to music only. And everything else that tries they fail. But it's coming one day. Some shit big like google...for music.

Because even though you have spotify....you don't know what to listen to until you are told. SOO GREAT INDY AND UNDERGROUND MUSIC is not your choice until you are told about it. And of course you will already know that a Rihanna's album is leaked...before it is released.

Last edited:
>>>>Free music isnt the problem<<<<

It most certainly is a part of the problem, and a cassette tape is in NO WAY in ANY universe the same as thousands and thousands of torrented digital downloads and burned CD's.

GJ

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

PS-- >>>>The internet is the best and worst thing that has ever happened to the music industry<<<<

BEST quote of the thread so far.

GJ

^^^Yes it is. What makes you think it isn't? Most of the people downloading for free are not doing it because they love the music....they doing it for sport....(because they can). The rest don't know how or care to know or think to find out how. Shit.......that torrent shit is rocket science. Only nerds know how to do that shit. Lime wire would've been your argument.....but what about after lime wire and the others? Torrents? lol! We can't keep using the internet wizards as an excuse for music being free. If anything.....people still going "person to person" getting music (just like cassette and CD).....because they too lazy or don't know any other way. Or just so learned a new trick on their phone that will let them rip music from youtube.

Want an excuse.....youtube is a blame. Spotify......Pandora.......XM Radio are to blame.Two of these I know pay for every time the music is played.

Meek Mill sold 160k first week..................everyone's argument of the internet being a problem is void.

Last edited:
Its pretty much all bad no matter which way you look at it.

The only artist i will ever care about is jay-z...because he kept it 100 his whole career....never made a wack move, i know some of yall gonna disagree but he is one of the last real rappers left...i dont care about tech nyne, 50 cent, hopsin, none of these new guys...not even eminem because he made some wack shit. Nas even fell off imo.

Music is dead to me too....i dont even listen to it anymore....i dont really know why...i just cant stand another fake line from some wack rapper trying to impress me with what they got.....there needs to be a revolutionary rapper that goes against the grain and calls things for what they are, not someone who just "accepts" the wackness and goes along with it...im gettin sick of these sheep ass niggas, ... i hate what rap has become...its pitiful, you would think things would get better over time but the exact opposite happened...it shows that the world has changed alot, and i think we are entering a new phase..the internet has made the world so small...and there is no excitment left in the music industry....theres nothing to talk about with your friends because you already know everything thats going on....people are becoming hermits, addicted to information.....the only way to get out of this is to make major life changes, and ive done that...like deranged said u gotta adapt, ... or die...and i feel like alot of people are really "dead' inside because of information overload...i dont feel anything anymore....shit is just wack...

this is what we all wanted though, we wanted there to be a day where there was free music, but were not saving any money because gas and food prices are going way up. Everythang ****ed up, everythang corrupt.

I say this..........until we have a definite source for music online...we will continue to feel how we feel. Billboard .com ain't it. The blog sites ain't it. Itunes ain't it. MTV and BET .com ain't it. We need weel organized sites dedicated to music...ON A LARGER LEVEL THAN WHAT WE GET RIGHT NOW. Youtube gets it....but it's not dedicated to music only. And everything else that tries they fail. But it's coming one day. Some shit big like google...for music.

Because even though you have spotify....you don't know what to listen to until you are told. SOO GREAT INDY AND UNDERGROUND MUSIC is not your choice until you are told about it. And of course you will already know that a Rihanna's album is leaked...before it is released.

Lol... quote for emphasis... I actually had a business idea based on that thought and you said almost all of it... awesome analysis.

Last edited:
I agree music has changed and so has the business aspect of it as well. Who's still listening to the radio? We use to get all of the new artists from radio, but if nobody's listening. I agree about the focus of the sites mentioned: billboard, iTunes, and there are tons of others. I think there will never be a 1 stop shop anymore. I think that the sites mentioned should refocus and add features like new artist profiles which would include indy artists. I have personally spent hours on itunes looking for new artists and found it to be an uncomfortable experience. The genre areas are really poor and geez when do they update these areas? There are tons of new artists out there, but if you just depend on what they show you.. your left missing out on a lot of unheard people. The old music store model is sorta dead.. people want more.

The outcome.........Kanye is larger than life. Reality.....Kanye is an average dude musically. He is a boring dude. He is a punk ass dude with dolls and shit. But you listen to his music and go..."KANYE THE GREATEST RAPPER AND PRODUCER". Got to be kidding me...lamo

With all respect to You Rice, but have You ever heard albums like 808s & Heartbreak or MBDTF? Im sure You did. And if so, how can You tell he is a average musician? It's just hiliarious You know. If You would read couple of his interviews or just follow his mindset for some time You would know that outside of his big ego, dude has something special that separates him from other hip-hop musicians. There is no other rapper/artist like him who broke boundries with every album like Kanye. Not stanning tho - I admit that his 2012 achievements are pretty poor and CS was a failure. But looking in the past, dude is definitely not average and 6th solo will confirm that.

About music nowadays.. You just gotta now who keeps it real. Just search and analayze lyrics, analyze interviews, it's just so easy for me to recognize who is doing it for the passion not for the money. If You look at Kid Cudi, dude is definitely mainstream rapper, but in some way he is not selling out or rapping about stupid shit. Independent guy who keeps it real. The same with Big K.R.I.T.. Then You have RNB dudes like Frank Ocean or Miquel - talented guys with new sound. At the end of the day I advice to search inspiration in a lot of different types of music.. if You are tired of that hip-hop bullshit now, go check Little Dragon, check Lykke Li.. check Mark Ronson, TV On The Radio, check some Flying Lotus shit.. go back to oldschool J Dilla beats.. there is always a sound that can inspire You and keep Your love for music alive.

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

Really simple and important conclusion and advice is..

DIG DEEPER

I am really shocked that some of the people are dissapointed with the radio.. who listen to it anymore? If You want to be amazed by new sound and new music, don't listen to radio.. just dig deeper.

Last edited:
I agree music has changed and so has the business aspect of it as well. Who's still listening to the radio? We use to get all of the new artists from radio, but if nobody's listening. I agree about the focus of the sites mentioned: billboard, iTunes, and there are tons of others. I think there will never be a 1 stop shop anymore. I think that the sites mentioned should refocus and add features like new artist profiles which would include indy artists. I have personally spent hours on itunes looking for new artists and found it to be an uncomfortable experience. The genre areas are really poor and geez when do they update these areas? There are tons of new artists out there, but if you just depend on what they show you.. your left missing out on a lot of unheard people. The old music store model is sorta dead.. people want more.

But that's the thing right ?! People are not used to look for indie artists, appart from a few music lovers... That's why there is a distinction between indie and Majors... People are used to being spoonfed some music from the major labels.. but because ;ajor labels have been pushing less music and less variety of it onto us, I guess some people like me are lost.. I have never been the kind of guy to listen to indie music like that. Only dude was probably Techn9ne back in early 2000s and only because he was rapping fast like Busta and actually a dude over the internet told me about him.
The latest very successful new act I can remember on top of my head is Drake. Or maybe Nicki Minaj but I don't listen to her recent music. Maybe I am just growing too old lol... ( don't tell me about J.Cole, he is nice.. just not there yet)

With all respect to You Rice, but have You ever heard albums like 808s & Heartbreak or MBDTF? Im sure You did. And if so, how can You tell he is a average musician? It's just hiliarious You know. If You would read couple of his interviews or just follow his mindset for some time You would know that outside of his big ego, dude has something special that separates him from other hip-hop musicians. There is no other rapper/artist like him who broke boundries with every album like Kanye. Not stanning tho - I admit that his 2012 achievements are pretty poor and CS was a failure. But looking in the past, dude is definitely not average and 6th solo will confirm that.

Why dig ? Great music should spread, be spread etc... Digging ? Ain't nobody got time for that.. I hate digging, that's why I almost never sample..
Look, even in the old times, they had Soul train and so on... People are just simply not spreading music anymore... The internet just doesn't do it... There is probably too much music.. The attention span, the momemtum that a record can create has reaally dwindled.
I am starting to realize that it is all because of the death of the album format.
Maybe we were just living in a music bubble and it just popped...

(and I also think that Kanye is wayyy overhyped, especially since 808 and whatever he did afterwards..., a few nice records here and there but too much hype)

Last edited:
A few comments, random stream-of-conciousness insights, and some food for thought. Then I'm outty, because this discussion could literally be endless, like politics or religion...

*Things have changed, and they haven't. That's why I loved DJ Polair's one-line analysis

*There is no way anyone can successfully argue that the Internet and "free music" haven't changed the game, much of it for the _negative_. I was only using one example, but there are a million ways that downloads have impacted the business, and in principle, "free music" is wrong. Try applying that sort of thinking to any other business model or subject, and maybe the concept will become clearer to you. There are just too many facts and figures to cite, but I suggest you read the things that Moses Avalon has written to get a better idea with facts and figures to back it all up

*At the same time, the "doom and gloom" really isn't all that real, especially if you look beyond the area of pop/top-40/dance, which rap and modern r&b are firmly a part of now... Lots of other genres, while smaller nitch markets, still sell lots of CD's, and hardly any downloads, and sales are not nearly as bad as the press and the "freetards" would have you believe (again, read Moses Avalon and others)

*There are people that still want a "real music" experience... Some sectors of
the business are experiencing _amazing growth_; now would be a great time,
for instance, to own a _vinyl record pressing plant!_ And don't forget that there are now _two_ annual "Record Store Days" that see great success financially

*Radio is not the be-all and end-all for pop music, but it is still a hugely viable medium. If this were not true, advertisers would not still be spending millions on radio commercials

*The Internet, along with the home recording phenomenon, has had a huge impact on the business, some of it in positive, but some of it in very negative ways... In other words, _we_ are part of the problem, in that there are far too many records released per year for the average consumer to even think of keeping-up with, and yet a lot of it is crap and there are no real filters anymore. But the gear companies still make bank, and hardware and software developers continue to proliferate. This is one area where music business money is-- in selling equipment to all of us

*Yes, services like Spotify pay, but it's not much, and others aren't much better. I can tell you that after selling 2,000 downloads, that that $75 sure doesn't go very far after a couple of tanks of gas

*If the Internet "helps" so much, and we are all supposed to use our recordings as loss-leader to gain income from live performances, than you would think that live performances and opportunities (paying) would have increased for the average, non-stadium level performer... Not so, if you check the facts

I could go on and on, but change is here. Some of it is good, but a lot of it is bad, and in some ways, it's "meet the new boss, same as the old boss." The promise of the Internet has definitely not become the reality of the Internet, and what we are living is nothing like what we were sold in the 90's. Guys selling "$10 beats" don't help much, either. At the same time, things change, and we get older, and the "good old days" will always seem better in our heads than they actually were...

GJ

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

PS-- To clarify a few things:

*The 2,000 downloads example was meant to emphasize the differences in getting paid based on .001 cent per song versus say $4 per unit for a physical single (as an independent artist in both cases)

*While I know the content on a lot of radio stations has changed, there is still a lot of music happening on radio, both commercial, public/independent, and especially college radio

GJ

Musically, it might be an issue with inspiration. What is happening to Hip-Hop is the same thing that happened to Rock.

The biggest era in Rock was the 2nd generation. Beatles, Led Zep, Rolling Stones, etc. They were influenced by American blues and early rock, like Little Richard. Raw, real music was the influence, and the first ideas to alter that ended up being the best, in most Rock opinions. Then, rockers started citing Beatles, Led Zep, Stones, etc as their influences, which is like making a copy of a copy.

Same as Hip-Hop. 2nd Generation was the 90's. It's arguably the best era the genre has seen so far. The new generation is further removed from the source.

I suppose you can probably make this case for any genre that's old enough. Sid Vicious from the Sex Pistols would turn in his grave if he knew a bunch of suburban kids were wearing punk clothing and calling their Pop-Rock music "punk". It's just not the same magic that it was when it began. Plenty of music fans think the source is the only good stuff to ever come around, actually. But I think that 2nd generation has the biggest chance to make the most progress, and then the realness starts to fade with each attempt after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've touched on that on a lot of threads. When you take away the hype, publicity, the stunts, ect.......Kanye (ESPECIALLY AS A RAPPER) is a boring artist. It took all of the hype, publicity, ect to make you feel that strongly about Kanye.....the same as Michael Jackson.............the same as Michael Jordan.

Michael Jordan.......great basketball player..............but people don't know about Hakeem Olajuwon. Labron James.........great ball player......but the hype would make you think he is extremely better than every player in the NBA.

The media told you......WATCH JORDAN...HE IS GREAT. So he becomes larger than life. Same with Kanye.

And me..........the only Kanye album I can listen to today is Graduation.......that's it. Can't even listen to his first and second album except for a few songs the media forced on me. ;)

The same with old Cash Money records music with Mannie Fresh......I can't listen to it now. It bores me. No Limit though? Listen forever. A lot of sargent shit going on....a lot of rapid paced shouting contest action going on.....UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH!!!!!

Welcome to the music industry.......make your next move your best move. MJ taught you all that. Kanye learned from it....Rick Ross learned from it. Beatles show you that.

Rick Ross got dudes like "I hate that fat lying officer piece of shit...........but this is jamming....and that too....and that and that and that and that."

((((((((((AND THAT'S NOT ME SAYING THESE GREAT ARTIST AND NBA STARS ARE NOTHING SPECIAL.....just saying when you strip away the hype built around them they really are the same as everything else that is "good" but don't see the same hype.)))))

That added excitement helps......for the first week. I've seen it soo many times in my life.....the media introducing me to something new.....that I was already aware of...they always late. But guess what......."average people" are always "later". That added excitement will make something that sounds good sound like the greatest thing you ever heard.

I hate making long post. LOL! But it's like this yall........you really don't have much to get excited about in music today. You don't have a favorite guitar player in a group as you learn to play guitar because of him.....you don't love the voice of a great singer for some reason......and the rest sound electronic vocally so that X's out music staying power. I can go on and on......yall can keep using the free music excuse. lol!

Back