unique way for producers to monetize

MrJames851

I saw an ad for this on the side of my facebook just now.

https://quarterly.co/products/pharrell-williams?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=ads

Pharrell in this example, you have to kinda consider him a singer or general icon/celebrity in this case.
You wouldn't necessarily get fans of a more behind the scenes technician to pay monthly for surprise gifts,
unless it was other producers hoping for some rare production stuff ... which would be interesting, from Dre,
somebody like Dilla, people who have reached those heights of legend status

That's not unique. It's a celebrity using their name to hock a product.

In this case, the "product" is a box of hand picked crap.

When you can tell me the other producers that have this, then we can have that conversation. This post is for producers to see an example of a producer making money from non traditional avenues. Its not traditional for a producer to give out surprise gifts through a monthly subscription service like its the fruit of the month club or something.

Nah Troup is right, that is $15 worth of crap picked by some advertising monkey and charging you $50 for it, Pharrel in turn stamps his name to it and gets 20 points for doing nothing but selling out in the worst way.

Yeah it is a revenue stream but it is not a good look at all.

When you can tell me the other producers that have this, then we can have that conversation. This post is for producers to see an example of a producer making money from non traditional avenues. Its not traditional for a producer to give out surprise gifts through a monthly subscription service like its the fruit of the month club or something.

No matter how the product is paid for by the consumer (subscription or outright purchase), it's still a Product attaching a producer's name to it, in order to sell.

You want me to name producers that have had their name attached to products in order to sell them?

I agree. It is not traditional. This is something different.

No. I want you to name the music producer that has a monthly subscription service where they provide surprise gifts to members... Its easy to say make money off your name. Duh. This is an example and one that is usually reserved for a teen idol fan club, not a producer. Of course you have to factor in that Pharrell is making this move as an artist and tastemaker moreso than what he does on his equipment, but its something for producers to look up to, and an out of the box way for a producer to make their money.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that Pharrell's level of influence stems more from him being recognized as an artist than a Producer....

It doesn't take a genious to know that this is for the groupies. **** out here with that 99 cent merchandise. I give him props for taking advantage of these young naive kids though. Well not really but you know what I mean.

ya'll are thinking like customers ... I'm not advertising for Pharrell to get your membership
this is thug motivation lol, ya'll need to be saying 'ok, this is another option for me if my goal is to be a public persona in that way'

a fan/fanatic/groupie isn't a negative thing, the goal is to have a core fanbase of loyal diehard fans, cult following, that's how you get paid
if you don't have to rely on broke rappers or labels with shrinking budgets to get your meal then you hit the jackpot

I appreciate what you are saying tho.

Once you achieve a level where you have a solid following / celebrity status your revenue streams diversify.

I can dig it.

the sellout argument is one thing ... but the "Wal-Mart" ... Usher got a huge hit with Pharrell right now, he's not gonna stop because Pharrell is monetizing his influence. Robin Thicke isn't gonna stop. There's a commercial out right now that you can tell was made because of "Happy". Pharrell is executive producing 3 EPs worth of material for TI. His brand will not take a hit from this. What it does is gives back to his die hard fanbase, and keeps him in business in between runs

It is definitely a pile of crap lol

Mothe****er up there giving you a lil booklet and some drawings n shit for $50 bucks, gtfoh lmao.

With that being said i agree with MrJames851 ya are thinking from the side of a customer
who isn't the target audience. That shit is worth gold to die hard fans and it def. is another
revenue stream for the person doing it.

Imagine if 10,000 diehard Pharrell fans take up on that offer at $50 a month and all he has
to do is blow $25 on expenses for each package. That's 250k a month, that's not bad at all.

Of course i'm exaggerating it for argument sake but a revenue stream is a revenue stream.

On another note, i don't think i could scam people like that lol. If i were to do something like that
i would prefer to take a loss and build massive good will x amount of people by going out of pocket
to make it worth more than what they are paying.

Last edited:
It is definitely a pile of crap lol

Mothe****er up there giving you a lil booklet and some drawings n shit for $50 bucks, gtfoh lmao.

With that being said i agree with MrJames851 ya are thinking from the side of a customer
who isn't the target audience. That shit is worth gold to die hard fans and it def. is another
revenue stream for the person doing it.

Imagine if 10,000 diehard Pharrell fans take up on that offer at $50 a month and all he has
to do is blow $25 on expenses for each package. That's 250k a month, that's not bad at all.

Of course i'm exaggerating it for argument sake but a revenue stream is a revenue stream.

On another note, i don't think i could scam people like that lol. If i were to do something like that
i would prefer to take a loss and build massive good will x amount of people by going out of pocket
to make it worth more than what they are paying.
Exactly on point!
It's a great income and business from Pharrels point of view. But I also would never be able to do that to the people who already bought my house, boat, etc, for me. I would rather charge an X amount for classes for people to succeed In producing, or in the business per say.

Back