Sooo....tell me why a 360 deal is bad, again?

A 360 deal only sounds like a bad deal to someone with low ambitions and 0 work ethic. I'm no expert, but from all the videos, literature, and information I have gathered, it actually sounds like a decent deal. If you are a marketable artist, have a sizeable following, and work ethic, the shit kinda works in your favor-the label helps set up income streams for which they will get a cut, and if your shit works, you not only make some bread, but you can negotiate for a larger cut. Wash, rinse, repeat.

because it's not a deal.. it's more like a loan

Quite as its kept Jean Grae has been dropping EPs via band camp these past couple of years

But, like most indie acts, its a struggle to get out there.

In a few more years this will NOT be a problem. We have the whole world, INDIES and fans of INDIES need to COME TOGETHER and GATHER FANS on a LARGE scale.........Take over the music world "Ice Bucket style" on they punk ass.....then let the people decide what they like from the variety.

Bet Apple and Microsoft will want to sign THAT deal.....

bandcamp is week anyway. All of that "work ethic" nonsense is bullshit. Bandcamp needs to either step it up, or WE NEED to create something on a large scale that isn't so private that people feel like it's some low level myspace shit from back in the days. Shits got to be HUGE and taget the people....not the artist.

Quite as its kept Jean Grae has been dropping EPs via band camp these past couple of years

But, like most indie acts, its a struggle to get out there.
As I said b4, its about the artists and the ceiling they want. You can make a decent living going indie with a solid fan base, but u wont become a millionaire. It will take years to build up the type of infrastructure someone like tech9 has.
A lot of jazz cats are indie nowadays, but they aren't living the flashy life (one of the top cats, Roy Hargrove, even mentioned that he doesn't even get 1st class tickets when people fly him in).
I honestly can't call it, but I think I could live life without the shine and work on building up my own promo network.
People say they can do it, but don't forget your team also has to get their cut. If u don't blow, like most artists, how much money do you really have.

@Legal: is Lecrae really indie?
This last album had him getting radio access and interviews with the Breakfast Club. Sounds like he had some connections/assistance

Jean Grae WTF? Is this recent material. Yeah I know it takes years to build up an infrastructre like Tech 9. I was thinking long term anyway and referring to an artist who'd have 10 plus years in the game. I dont necessarily even think I'd have the same success as Tech Nine. I just think it's a good template to follow as far as hustling on an independent level. Back to Jean Grae, this is the Jean Grae I remember:

@Legal: is Lecrae really indie?
This last album had him getting radio access and interviews with the Breakfast Club. Sounds like he had some connections/assistance

Lecrae is signed to Reach Records which he is a co-founder and is a true independent operation similar to Rostrum Records or Strange Records. From my understanding his last album was released through RED Distribution (owned by Sony). Out here where I'm at in NYC I never heard a Lecrae record on the radio in regular rotation but I will admit I'm not an everyday radio listener, can only stand but so much of the 12 song programming...

Last edited:
Funny....

I used to think and say the exact same things y'all are saying. Until I started depending on this music industry to keep my lights on. Then I saw how shit REALLY works.

Getting traction is hard as fcuk. It ain't as easy as having a great artist or a great record.

Relationships are EVERYTHING.

Shit, you can't even get an open mic night spot at the corner coffee house without the right relationships in place. Never mind blog press, newspaper/magazine, TV Spots, shows, etc.

He who has the relationships, has the POWER. So you either take the 50 years to build your own relationships, or you leverage an already existing infrastructure of relationships.

It's like this....You wanna launch a cell phone company:

Are you gonna build your own nationwide network of cell phone towers, or are you gonna give up a percentage of your profits in order to use the ones that are already in place?

Jean Grae WTF? Is this recent material. Yeah I know it takes years to build up an infrastructre like Tech 9. I was thinking long term anyway and referring to an artist who'd have 10 plus years in the game. I dont necessarily even think I'd have the same success as Tech Nine. I just think it's a good template to follow as far as hustling on an independent level. Back to Jean Grae, this is the Jean Grae I remember:

Well i guess u haven't been following her lately.
Check her band camp. Jean Grae
She don't hardly rhyme anymore. She doing all her tracks and directing vids now.

That vid I posted actually had the most hits (35,000) in a short time that I've seen in one of her recent tube vids.
I can respect the artist thing, plus her moms was a singer.

Lecrae is signed to Reach Records which he is a co-founder and is a true independent operation similar to Rostrum Records or Strange Records. From my understanding his last album was released through RED Distribution (owned by Sony). Out here where I'm at in NYC I never heard a Lecrae record on the radio in regular rotation but I will admit I'm not an everyday radio listener, can only stand but so much of the 12 song programming...
Dig.
I don't really listen to radio either, but I assume if i see u on the breakfast club things are headed in the right direction in terms of access.

Funny....

I used to think and say the exact same things y'all are saying. Until I started depending on this music industry to keep my lights on. Then I saw how shit REALLY works.

Getting traction is hard as fcuk. It ain't as easy as having a great artist or a great record.

Shit, you can't even get an open mic night spot at the corner coffee house without the right relationships in place. Never mind blog press, newspaper/magazine, TV Spots, shows, etc.

He who has the relationships, has the POWER. So you either take the 50 years to build your own relationships, or you leverage an already existing infrastructure of relationships.

It's like this....You wanna launch a cell phone company:

Are you gonna build your own nationwide network of cell phone towers, or are you gonna give up a percentage of your profits in order to use the ones that are already in place?

Interesting analogy with cell phones. I just found out that Google is becoming a wireless carrier. But they aren't going to build their own towers. They are just going to use Sprint and T-Mobile's network. Even a huge multibillion dollar company isn't willing to invest big money in creating its own network.

Story: Google is becoming a wireless carrier - Jan. 23, 2015

Last edited:
Funny....

He who has the relationships, has the POWER.

So, when them new Sauce Money and Memphis Bleek joints about to pop off with #1's...seeing as they have the most powerful relationship in the game point blank period

So, when them new Sauce Money and Memphis Bleek joints about to pop off with #1's...seeing as they have the most powerful relationship in the game point blank period

Relationships only help you to get in the race. They don't help you to win the race. Even Jesus couldn't make Memphis Bleek and Sauce Money have #1 hits. Beanie Siegel barely had hit records back in the Rockafella days.

Relationships only help you to get in the race. They don't help you to win the race. Even Jesus couldn't make Memphis Bleek and Sauce Money have #1 hits. Beanie Siegel barely had hit records back in the Rockafella days.

I'm confused...

So, is it have Relationships or is it have Talent and Skill? You cosigned Troup's post where he said it's Relationships, but now you're saying it's more important to have what?

I'm confused...

So, is it have Relationships or is it have Talent and Skill? You cosigned Troup's post where he said it's Relationships, but now you're saying it's more important to have what?

I think it takes both relationship and talent. Relationship will get you in the spotlight, but you youself are the one who needs to know how to show talents before the audience, and know how to stay relevant.

Last edited:
...and Tech N9ne has exponentially more cake than Bleek

#IJS

And here's the difference.

For the next 20 years, Bleek can go out and get work in TV, Commercials, Game Shows, Reality Shows, Movie Roles, etc.

Tech HAS to stay on the road for the rest of his life. If he takes a 3-4 year break from recording/touring, he's DONE.

That's the difference.

And here's the difference.

For the next 20 years, Bleek can go out and get work in TV, Commercials, Game Shows, Reality Shows, Movie Roles, etc.

Tech HAS to stay on the road for the rest of his life. If he takes a 3-4 year break from recording/touring, he's DONE.

That's the difference.

camron.gif

As with any contract, sometimes it benefits the guy who signs it, while others it does not. Same can be said of traditional contracts with certain artists. That's why you have artists under the old contracts who sold millions, made the label billions, and are "broke"(TLC, Toni Braxton, and respect the quotes around the word broke). You have others who never sold many records, but could stay afloat touring and doing shows(example, Calvin Harris makes $400k a night doing the right venue, it would suck for all that money to go in his label's pocket). There are some who can't get shows on their own, but as long as the label is setting up appearances for them, they can earn money pleasing a crowd, some who have a high enough demand they can do it all themselves. all left to the individual in question.

Also consider that with the short lived careers of most artists in this day and time, they lose out on alot of fast money that would be worth it for longevity without the reward of...LONGEVITY. Why should Bobby Shmurda be happy losing such high percentages of revenue when after "hot nikka' dies down, we'll never hear from him again...vs. someone like Ariana Grande who will put out an album every year for the next decade.

Last edited:

Cute meme's don't prove your point.

I was up at like 3am the other night, and saw that BILL BELLAMY is hosting a game show...at 3am...and it sucks...but he's still hosting a game show.

When is the last time this dude was hot, like damn near 20 years ago??

Bill Bellamy New “Let’s Ask America” Host; GSN Airing Bellamy-Hosted Episodes Starting January 2015 | BuzzerBlog

That's what the star making power of a MAJOR can do for someone. In fact, it's exactly what they are supposed to do for someone. Enable them to get work LONG after their time has come and gone, simply because "once upon a time" everyone knew who they were.

Bleek will be able to work off of his name for a very long time...just because people know who that name is.

Once Tech stops touring/recording, he'll have to stand in line at the club.

^^^^:cheers: I understood what you "meant".............But to underestimate Tech to make your point.......by using Memphis Bleek? Nah, SON!

Like....what song does anybody remember by Bleek?

Does he even own "A" percentage of that song?

O.K......year 2018 he is on Love and Hip Hop New York and comes to find out he can cook like a mug.....................which spins off into a deal with cooking network.....I get that point.

BUT....

TechN9NE we talking bout......white people (multiples) have tats of this dude.
019900710f4abf32cca8632b8fdfafea.jpg

Tech-N9ne-Anghellic-Wrist-Tattoo.jpg

Bad comparison.

Last edited:
Back