RZA On The Soul Of Music

playing a barre chord is not that difficult and to suggest it is more complicated than a power chord (root 5th-8ve or 5th-8ve-5th) is really irrelevant - a power chord is always in tune with the surrounding music as long as the chord center does not become diminished or augmented; playing in tune with the surrounding music with barre chords can be if you are not paying attention and adding or removing your 2nd finger

...thus why barre chords are more difficult than power chords

neither type of chord is hard, you learn them by repetition not skill. Its how you put it together that counts.

That's cute, but to say playing a barre chord is not more difficult to do (or get the "skill" of) shows you clearly do not play guitar or are misunderstanding the point - it's like saying, "Playing Flight of the Bumblebee isn't hard, you learn it by repetition not skill". Huh?

A barre chord not only requires more fingers, but one finger being strong enough to hold down all 6 strings...please explain how that is on the same level of learning as a power chord.

That's cute, but to say playing a barre chord is not more difficult to do (or get the "skill" of) shows you clearly do not play guitar or are misunderstanding the point - it's like saying, "Playing Flight of the Bumblebee isn't hard, you learn it by repetition not skill". Huh?

A barre chord not only requires more fingers, but one finger being strong enough to hold down all 6 strings...please explain how that is on the same level of learning as a power chord.
Barre chords aren't hard to make, but through repetition, you develop the finger strength to make all the strings ring out cleanly. You develop skill through repetition.
Also, if you have to hold down all 6 strings with one finger to make a standard barre chord ring out, you are doing it wrong. If, for example, you are making a 6-string root major chord, you wouldn't need to hold down all 6 strings with your barring finger since the 5th, 4th, and 3rd string each have a finger holding them down. That's just wasted pressure.

Last edited:
Barre chords aren't hard to make, but through repetition, you develop the finger strength to make all the strings ring out cleanly. You develop skill through repetition.
Also, if you have to hold down all 6 strings with one finger to make a standard barre chord ring out, you are doing it wrong. If, for example, you are making a 6-string root major chord, you wouldn't need to hold down all 6 strings with your barring finger since the 5th, 4th, and 3rd string each have a finger holding them down. That's just wasted pressure.

If you had a student come to you to learn guitar with zero experience would you teach them how to make a power chord first or a barre chord first?

Both.
Gotta get the student developing barring technique early. Would I expect a student to play songs at tempo with barres right away? Nope. There is no magical point where a student all the sudden can do something they never practiced doing. I got started doing both day one, though it took me a couple months to get my barre chords to where I could play them cleanly without much pressure. You just have to do it everyday until your hands, arms, shoulders, and fingers acclimate to it.

Both.
Gotta get the student developing barring technique early. Would I expect a student to play songs at tempo with barres right away? Nope. There is no magical point where a student all the sudden can do something they never practiced doing. I got started doing both day one, though it took me a couple months to get my barre chords to where I could play them cleanly without much pressure. You just have to do it everyday until your hands, arms, shoulders, and fingers acclimate to it.

Please don't tell me it also took you a couple months to learn how to do a power chord...but, my girlfriend was able to learn the structure and how to move around the neck in under 5 minutes while also watching TV...smh

Why people want to argue this point is beyond me. And the funny thing is 7 out of my 10 songs on SC have some form of guitar in them - you all can feel free to check them out to see my credentials. For those that want to debate this topic with me please post links up of your guitar playing.

How to Play Power Chords on Guitar - For Dummies
Tips for Playing Guitar Barre Chords - For Dummies

I'm bored with this conversation...play on.

Last edited:
Please don't tell me it also took you a couple months to learn how to do a power chord...but, my girlfriend was able to learn the structure and how to move around the neck in under 5 minutes while also watching TV...smh

Why people want to argue this point is beyond me. And the funny thing is 7 out of my 10 songs on SC have some form of guitar in them - you all can feel free to check them out to see my credentials. For those that want to debate this topic with me please post links up of your guitar playing.

How to Play Power Chords on Guitar - For Dummies
Tips for Playing Guitar Barre Chords - For Dummies

I'm bored with this conversation...play on.
Sure.

I read an interview with RZA a while back. He was enjoying the success of the early wu-tang days when he was approached in a store by some white chump who told him he wasn't a musician because all he did was sample.

RZA said he took this to heart and decided to learn music. this coincided to the end of his prime.

in other words, some white ****** ruined RZAs production style.

Back