The party's over for DJ Mustard

PianoReeves

DJ Mustard's partner Mike Free is suing him and coming out saying he made most (or all?) of Mustard's hits and isn't getting credit or money. Looks like Roc Nation signed the wrong guy.

"Mike Free claims to be a childhood friend of Mustard in his new lawsuit, and states that he wrote, composed and produced the song that became the launching pad for Mustard's career-- Tyga's "Rack City." However, he says he never got his deserved credit for it. This wasn't a one-off song, Mike Free says he and Mustard agreed to share composer and producer credits, as Free had all the ideas and Mustard had the necessary connections in the industry. Free says he had ideas for several other big Mustard tracks-- "Don't Tell Em" by Jeremih, 2 Chainz's "I'm Different," Big Sean's "IDFWU," and more."

Alleged Childhood Friend Of DJ Mustard Sues Him Over Lack Of Producer Credit

should be down in writing period end of discussion

yeah I don't know if the guy has a case here. It's not beatjacking, it's collaborating with a friend and I'm sure Mustard paid him something and he didn't fuss about it at the time or set up an arrangement that was violated. I wonder how this affects Mustard's run though since it appears most of his hit level stuff is from Mike Free.

Party is over for Mike Free. DJ Mustard need to boss up and hire me to be his next ghost producer. I just want to make the beats and let Mustard throw his sauce on it. Give me my split of the writer's share, split of the publisher's share, and 30% of the upfront fee and I'm good.

Mike Free does a lot of the pianos on those beats that much I do know. So im pretty sure he has a decent case.

If that's Mikely Adams i think his last name is... He definitely has credits in the songs and Mustard talks about him doing keys in his interviews, but the Mustard tag is what people latch onto... Its not like most people even have a legal copy to see the full credits. Maybe he doesn't have credit on certain songs or he hasn't been paid enough.

The fact that DJ Mustard made so many more hits after that makes him really irrelevant. It comes with the grind of pursuing success and determining if you really want to deal with obstacles and heartaches of being an artist. Every artist gets robbed and shortchanged somewhere in their career. The bigger question is how many times will it happen and what will you do to insure that it doesnt happen repeatedly.

Last edited:
What would be great was if this went to court, Mike plays only one of his original songs and the jury awards compensation for 60 songs based on that one original haha

...and we'll see how many more "hits" Mustard comes up with now.

SMH at all you cats that were defending Mustard and you mean to tell me son wasn't even the one playing those casio keyboard melodies?!?!

We musicians can spot a fake from a mile away!

Back