NPR Story: How Much Does It Cost To Make A Hit Song

I LOL'd at this comment.

"Boy, I sure hope she gets paid! She's obviously a starving artist that puts a lot of creativity into her craft."

its so sad how so called artist are nothing but puppets, i mean the song wears their names but is it really their song?
lyrics belong to such and such
vocals belong to the woman that told you how to sing
the track belongs to someone else

this is bs

A lot of rnb and pop artist do not write their own songs they just have the image/voice. That's why a lot of times when you submit to those artist, the labels want full fledged reference tracks ideally with a vocal tone similar to the artist whom you're submitting too not just instrumentals.

The crazy part is that only people that make music care about who did what... all of the people come together and make a song - I think it's great teamwork. Rihanna doesn't pick out her clothes or do her own hair either... Mase said people used to show up to wash his feet!

They're selling you a product.... the same people that sell McDonalds cheese don't sell them the burgers, the people that sell them the burgers don't sell them the buns...

I guess it's like someone getting upset that you didn't make your beat with one vsti...

It's really gratifying to do everything yourself... but a better product will probably be created if specialized people are utilized to do what they specialize in.

Fans don't care either way ...

As far as the program directors, that works both ways. A station here will play a popular artists song to DEATH! and then contact the artists management and show them how much they're playing the song in order to get that artist to perform at their Summer Jam show. They lie too "They love her out here! these spins are all requests!" ... then that artist shows up. A program director said it on air one day while he was talking to an artist they were trying to persuade to come to the NorthWest.

... and to me, writing RnB songs seems like writing sparse raps for some reason.

I like how everybody has an odd interpretation of this article. I'm thinkin about how I can get that producer fee and y'all bitchin about how the artist is only the image of the whole process.

I like how everybody has an odd interpretation of this article. I'm thinkin about how I can get that producer fee and y'all bitchin about how the artist is only the image of the whole process.

Exactly!

This has been the pop music scene for as long as I can remember. Most singers DON'T write their own music. Simple Fact. That is why Producers get paid & Songwriters get paid good money!

So if you're a program director you just eat at nice places all the time and have people kiss your butt because they want their artists songs played. I like the sound of that job.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tune S&M suddenly seems a whole lot un-sexier when you think it was wrote by a 50 year old guy doesn't it?

Anybody remember a group called BlackBox? The woman had hit in the states but didn't speak English... but she sang the song in English.

As in 'Ride on time'? Yeah sure, was pretty big here in the UK years ago. Got the vocal hook stuck in my head now too, thx :cry:

Rome, where in eastern Wa are you? Born and raised in Yakima here.

Interesting article. My wife and I were just discussing stuff on this topic yesterday.

It's really gratifying to do everything yourself... but a better product will probably be created if specialized people are utilized to do what they specialize in.

Fans don't care either way ...

As far as the program directors, that works both ways. A station here will play a popular artists song to DEATH! and then contact the artists management and show them how much they're playing the song in order to get that artist to perform at their Summer Jam show. They lie too "They love her out here! these spins are all requests!" ... then that artist shows up. A program director said it on air one day while he was talking to an artist they were trying to persuade to come to the NorthWest.

... and to me, writing RnB songs seems like writing sparse raps for some reason.

Rome, where in eastern Wa are you? Born and raised in Yakima here.

Interesting article. My wife and I were just discussing stuff on this topic yesterday.

Eric Powers said it, it's how they get people to come to Summer Jam. (I'm from Virginia)

E-40 said it years ago from the artists perspective, they checked SoundScan and only went to where they were wanted in a little van.

So Classic... I'm gon play it tomorrow... somewhere... Pac killed on it - hook is ridiculous.

Oh, yeah... I'm from here....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back