Not One Artist Album Has Gone Platinum In 2014

Meh...they are mourning the loss of not keeping up with the times and the idea that platinum sales are done for albums...individual songs on the other hand are on the rise. Why would anyone buy an entire album when there are only really 3 good songs I want on it? Is there a compelling reason I shouldn't head to any of the many outlets and buy those three songs that I actually want to hear at .99 a pop?

This is nothing more than the media and the industry showing how out of touch they are and how irrelevant they have become, their feigned surprise is just their way of begging for customers again.

Meh...they are mourning the loss of not keeping up with the times and the idea that platinum sales are done for albums...individual songs on the other hand are on the rise. Why would anyone buy an entire album when there are only really 3 good songs I want on it? Is there a compelling reason I shouldn't head to any of the many outlets and buy those three songs that I actually want to hear at .99 a pop?

This is nothing more than the media and the industry showing how out of touch they are and how irrelevant they have become, their feigned surprise is just their way of begging for customers again.

Agreed!

RIAA Certifications and Billboard Charts are out dated.

They need to be measuring CONSUMPTION. It's not about sales, it's about PLAYS.

it's because all modern hip hop is trash, you only find real shit in the underground nowadays. only old music and underground music is good. the mainstream was murdered by social media honestly. once twitter got big it made everyone trash, and thankfully people are starting to realize it. music as a whole is getting bigger though because it helps the underground strive.

"But if you’re decrying the death of sales as a vast conspiracy of the military industrial complex, I feel sorry for you. Things change."

I agree things change;like artists income. Most artists today shouldn't even think of being compensated like the past. 99 singles for most translate into 99 cent meals & a lifestyle that is adjusted accordingly. What that means in the future is 99% of rappers will need a day job.

Last edited:
reading this stuff is why i quit this site.... so sad.

Yup...i'm on the mailing list for his rants. lol

I've been trying to figure out a proprietary way of quantifying music CONSUMPTION, as a service i can sell for my business.

Still haven't come up with it yet...in a way that's seamless and simple to calculate.

Stupid social media platform and their stupid super restrictive API's.

Reminds me of Ryan Leslie and his grid. He claims he's developed software that measures consumption.

it's because all modern hip hop is trash, you only find real shit in the underground nowadays. only old music and underground music is good. the mainstream was murdered by social media honestly. once twitter got big it made everyone trash, and thankfully people are starting to realize it. music as a whole is getting bigger though because it helps the underground strive.

For me it was and is the lack of originality.

Is that bad? I mean until the music industry becomes more open I think the crash of what is coming is good for a wake up call

Doesn't look bleak at all.

- Indie sales are up proportionately (I'm assuming that's the category most of you and your clients will fit into).

- Furthermore, album sales might be low - but that's just an extension of the trend of buying single songs.

- Fans of indie musicians are more connected and more supportive of their artists, and they're more likely to buy an artist's album.
There's fewer people who feel a "heartfelt connection" to, say, Nicki Minaj.
For pop artists, people tend to be fans of songs rather than the artist. They just want to bump that one song that keeps coming up on the radio.

Everything's fine. Keep on moving along.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Back