Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Making Beats: Does Practice Really "Make Perfect?"

kyng is offline Shutup and just do it. .
    Thanks

Making Beats: Does Practice Really "Make Perfect?"

Sign in to disable this ad
    We've all heard that term, but does it apply to creating music as well?

When I say this I mean does it apply to making better beats, not landing a #1 hit.

I don't make beats all the time, especially since most of the time I'm working or practicing for this audition I have in December/January 2014.

Does that mean that my beats are not going to be up to par with my competitors?

How does this effect you?

After I got out of bootcamp in 2010, my beats sounded irrelevant as hell (because I had weak sounds) but the techniques and arrangements of songs on the radio were easy for me to apply. After getting new sounds, it didn't take me long at all to make relevant sounding tracks.

I've seen dudes who make beats off and on and they are super dope (J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League said they don't even make beats everyday) and then I've seen guys who make beats everyday, like Epik Tha Dawn, and other dope soundclick guys and their beats are dope as well.

Is it like a natural talent thing vs consistent practice kinda thing?

I know I ranted a bit but let me hear your thoughts. . .
    Smokey

Desire Inspires is online now Registered User
    Thanks
    Yes. Practice does help tremendously. You learn a lot of small things from making weak songs that you incorporate into great songs.

Quantity has helped me to improve my quality. Even though I did not always have the best sounds, I knew how to arrange what I had. Once I got better sounds, I swapped out the old ones and I instantly had better songs.

I never aim for perfection. The way a song sounds in my head before I make it is perfection. Bringing that into the real world always alters it. Sometimes I totally devaite from my original though. But I still get great songs.

Don't be a perfectionist. Get a work ethic.

BeatGenerals is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I think it does, as you do more you become more comfortable and especially if you push yourself with each track you make. I think it maybe helps most with the technical side of things like mixing etc, since thats more something you can compare your progress versus melodies and stuff like that is more just taste and opinion.

High Quality FL Studio Tutorials

http://www.beatgenerals.com

The Beat Pharmacy is offline Cookin Up Dat Dope
    Thanks
    you aren't necessarily practicing making beats you should be practicing the techniques to make beats. and yes practice makes perfect. like any other form of music if you don't set aside time to practice to perfect your skill your skill will not be perfected.

Relevant sounding tracks to what? whats on the radio?

Don't concern yourself with making relevant sounding tracks to whats on the radio. do what you think is best. if you don't like it but its relevant sounding to whats hot today basically it sucks. challenge yourself a little.
    Last edited by The Beat Pharmacy; 01-11-2013 at 04:36 AM.

"I always feel sampling is a great look because I think when people play keyboards, if youíre not a tremendous keyboard player, I donít think you should hit a few notes and call that Hip-Hop" Ė Lord Finesse

The Vizion is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Practice definitely makes perfect, you learn to produce higher quality sounds and make your beats sound more professional. You slowly learn what sounds good and what doesn't. Your mind will automatically start to come up with better melodies, chords etc..... I can tell you this because I have been trying to learn techniques for past 1.5 years because my beats used to suck and I could never come up with any good ideas. And after listening to loads of different instrumentals from different sorts of producers, listening to different types of music, learning how to sample and watching beat making videos, I have definitely improved. I will link you my Soundcloud one day after I upload my recent beats, and when you listen through my beats you will see how much I have improved through practice. I have not necessarily reached the perfection stage yet tho, but I will.

bandcoach is offline Zukatoku - Mod Scientist
    Thanks
    think of it this way

Practice Prevents Piss Poor Performance and Application; it's not so much about getting perfect as maintaining your skillz and developing them.....
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    Great answers. I'm switching DAW's (FL to Reason) so I have to get into practice mode again. I think I'm going to crank out beats even if they are wack just so I can have that work put in.

When I think about it, I do agree with The Vizion because if I compared my beats now to a year ago the chord progressions I learned are more dominant.

I just can't stand putting out something that sounds wack to me. I think I hold myself to too high of a standard. I'm expecting to play like 93 Jordan when I haven't even made it out of high school yet.

You guys inspire me I swear lol.
    Smokey

The Vizion is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kyng View Post
    Great answers. I'm switching DAW's (FL to Reason) so I have to get into practice mode again. I think I'm going to crank out beats even if they are wack just so I can have that work put in.

When I think about it, I do agree with The Vizion because if I compared my beats now to a year ago the chord progressions I learned are more dominant.

I just can't stand putting out something that sounds wack to me. I think I hold myself to too high of a standard. I'm expecting to play like 93 Jordan when I haven't even made it out of high school yet.

You guys inspire me I swear lol.
    Oh ye man even I dont wanna put out something thats wack, but its best if you throw away the beat that you think is not going well, instead of spending lots of time on it because that obviously is wasting time, and wen u look back at the beat and don't like it, it's pretty demotivational. Also, just out of curiousity, why are changing from FL to Reason?

BiggRome 2.0 is offline Can you dig it ?
    Thanks
    You can practice all day long making "beats" but if you don't know the theory behind music... you'll peak at making "bangaz" and be stuck and be limited in creativity.

You'll be a lot like me... stuck at "That sounds good..." but not really fulfilled because you don't really know what the hell you're doing.

You'll really be just mimicking what you like. You won't be able to just do some Scott Storch freestyle type ish.

It's like a person that plays football on a Xbox vs. a person that plays football on a real team. Xbox guy doesn't really know how to play football in real life. He probably can't catch, probably can't take a real hit, probably is clumsy. Guy on the football team knows how to brace himself for a hit, probably has caught 1,000's of passes and works on his coordination.

Making Bangaz (with Arps and ish) = Xbox Football Guy
    Making Music Freely = Real Football Team Guy

Practice will make you better but only to a certain point if you don't continue to "learn".

Now me... I'm pretty content with being the dude making "bangaz"... because I'm too lazy to really learn music. I'm the "that sounds good" guy. No amount of practice will get me past where I'm at unless I start learning chords, scales and "alla dat".
    Last edited by BiggRome 2.0; 01-11-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    , , and 1 others like this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vizion View Post
    Oh ye man even I dont wanna put out something thats wack, but its best if you throw away the beat that you think is not going well, instead of spending lots of time on it because that obviously is wasting time, and wen u look back at the beat and don't like it, it's pretty demotivational. Also, just out of curiousity, why are changing from FL to Reason?
    Before I get started on this LIST (Yes a LIST) let me say that I love FL Studio and I don't think I will ever stop using it completely.

1.) Reason Looks Good On Paper. There are no certification classes on FL (yet). It makes you look good when your resume reads that you are qualified expert at "(Software Name Here)." Yes, you can say "I have been using FL for ten years," but that certification plus those ten years will make you really stand out.

2.) Recalling Created Sounds. The Combinator. . . nuff said.

3.) Lack of Certain Features Forces You Be Creative and Find a Work-Around. Compared to other DAW's there are a lot of features that are not in Reason (yet). Forces you to be creative. Don't get me wrong it can be troublesome at times.

4.) THE SOUNDS. Before you get all crazy on me, let me say, PEOPLE DO NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE FREE SOUNDS IN FL. Most of them can't anyway because they are not registered users. If you go to image-line's forum, you can add at least 500 more presets to the stock VSTs in FL for FREE. Then the downloadable content. . .even more sounds. People really underestimate Sytrus. I seen a thread the other day where a guy is working on a converter for sounds from FM8 to Sytrus presets. . .crazy. I'm going to post a sample mp3 of a guy from the forums who used Sytrus ONLY with convolution reverb and patcher and the track was crazy!!!

FunkyTechnician - All Sytrus.mp3

Everybody knows that when it comes to sounds Reason is a beast. Creating sounds is easier in Reason than any other DAW. Like I said. . .The Combinator. The SSL has me hooked and Kong has me hooked making drum kits.

5.) Processing. I can take Reason on the go on my laptop, or be at home on my desktop, no matter how massive the project is, it is still light on the CPU.
    Smokey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information