Low record sales mean hip-hop artists must diversify to attract major music labels

Nothing written in this piece surprises me. And about Joie Manda, see

While diversification is defined as having multiple income streams, in regards to attracting major labels I think it reeks of artists whoring themselves as no one can be all things to all people as the saying goes, which I staunchly believe in, "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."

Last edited:
Lotsa threads about this topic and similar ones lately. For me, it all keeps going back to the music-buying public, and the rash of "free" entertainment that the Internet brought us.

Low record sales... OK, fine... But you honestly expect me to believe that's on the artists??

My consumer mind says, "Hey labels.. your products are out there FOR FREE. You're still putting out some nice music, but it's very free. I even pay $10 a month for Rhapsody (unlimited albums and plays on my computer and phone from 99% of the world's artists), and I feel like I'm ripping YOU off."

Problem is, as I've said before.. you can't undo this. The Free is here to stay. Awful tough to convince the world to return to paying $19 for a CD (yikes!) or even $10 for an MP3 album.

Artists and bands shouldn't have to worry about selling a brand of headphones. Or a comic book. Or clothes. And as it was said above, trying to please everyone with your music will never happen. No company or person has a 100% satisfaction rate of anything. It's so subjective.. to assume you need to stick to a blueprint defines why the problem is in the labels, not the musicians.

Last edited:
most of the cats out right now are trendy and the attention spand of this generation sucks so of course they are gonna have low record sales since there's no soul in anything anymore. look at krit, kendrick, j. cole they aren't complaining one bit.... rap sucks now...

Like Nas said Hip Hop is dead .Rap was officially taken off life support with the release of: (Peep the melody lol!!!!) I heard my 12 year old cousin playing this this morning. it was so horrible. I had to find out the name of the artist.

All jokes aside, it's entertaining. As far as low sales, my 12 yeard old cousin in his 12 years on the planet bought maybe 5 cd's his whole life. He hasnt bought a cd since Soulja Boy. He gets most of his music of the net for free. Kids today are growing up in a time of free music where as back in the day, fans dropped 14, 15 dollars an album. Albums are practically non existent these days. Good luck with value item singles for 99cents.

Last edited:
This right here...

“The major labels want to know: How many plays on YouTube will artists get? Can they get sync licensing deals, brand sponsorships, sell merchandise and tour nationally?” Grinberg continues. “That’s how they make all their money now. Instead of one big bucket, they try to fill up 10 little buckets with the work of one artist.

Been preaching this since for 7-8 years now.

Last edited:
This right here...

“The major labels want to know: How many plays on YouTube will artists get? Can they get sync licensing deals, brand sponsorships, sell merchandise and tour nationally?” Grinberg continues. “That’s how they make all their money now. Instead of one big bucket, they try to fill up 10 little buckets with the work of one artist.

Been preaching this since for 7-8 years now.

Sounds like a whole lot more work for the artists than before for a whole lot less money.

If an artist could manage to get all those things by themselves
why would they need a record label? lol

We're going through a transition from CD to internet just as there was a transition from the radio to vinyl and everyone panicked then... The industry is playing catch up, it's not just Hip Hop seeing a decline in sales.

This is why if you are an artist looking to get signed you are a fool.
The labels aren't giving out scholarships no mo...

The major labels are only looking to capitalize off of people who are in a position to do it for themselves.

In today's climate (as an artist) your goal should be to build your brand and capitalize off of it [independently] using the tools that everyone has access to in ways that others haven't thought of....

"We have the tools - We have the talent"
- Winston Zeddemore

If an artist could manage to get all those things by themselves
why would they need a record label? lol

They don't
The issue is it is difficult to get people who can do all this out of the mindset of needing a major label to get real money because it is how it has always been done and what has been drilled into their heads since they were kids.

he will be top 40 in no time

What’s the inspiration behind the song?
My engineer was pissing me off, and I was drunk. He was supposed to make me 10 beats that day or something like that, and I came back and this lazy ass nigga didn’t have no damn beats. So I went in [to record], put on some headphones, and told him, “Play some shit, press record.”
OG Maco Interview and Premiere WIth Migos | Complex

I don't know what's worse, him expecting a producer to make 10 beats in day or the fact that the lazy producer didnt make any.-lol

i was being sarcastic..but it seems like it fit the mold for a hit single in todays music world..dumb and random..thats what happens when u give the world a laptop and recording software ..everybody becomes a rapper..which is why just rapping won't get u by anymore..u will be expected to sing

hmmm i thought this memo has been around for a while now.
Got into a mix of Escrapping/authentic indian walking stick carving/permaculture consulting/rapping myself.

guys gotta diversify.

Back