If It Ain't About The Money: Does Hip Hop Still Need Major Labels?

Before the internet, you needed a label and marketing to be heard. The internet has no filter which leaves us overflooded with crap. Add a new generation of players to the party(whites, gays, weirdo's, talentless rappers in love with the coco) and you have rap today. DJ Vlad was the one who actually pointed out the white rapper hijacking rap.

Last edited:
Before the internet, you needed a label and marketing to be heard. The internet has no filter which leaves us overflooded with crap. Add a new generation of players to the party(whites, gays, weirdo's, talentless rappers in love with the coco) and you have rap today.

That is why hip hop is better today. There were too many people trying to fit into pre-determined roles. Nowadays, people can be themselves and still be considered hip-hop. The old stuff was too formulaic and stodgy to become classic. The classics of yesteryear sound cliche compared to the new stuff.

Whites, gays, weirdo's, talentless rappers in love with the coco all are a part of hip hop today. We need to embrace the new and learn to promote the causes of our new comrades. We are all that we got. A house divided falls. Stand together and take on the establishment!

Last edited:

That is why hip hop is better today. There were too many people trying to fit into pre-determined roles. Nowadays, people can be themselves and still be considered hip-hop. The old stuff was too formulaic and stodgy to become classic. The classics of yesteryear sound cliche compared to the new stuff.

Whites, gays, weirdo's, talentless rappers in love with the coco all are a part of hip hop today. We need to embrace the new and learn to promote the causes of our new comrades. We are all that we got. A house divided falls. Stand together and take on the establishment!

There are still standards where gimmicks are frowned upon. The Coco song is almost a parody, it's so ignorant and clicheish. " I got baking soda. I got baking soda" lol. If you want your generation to be associated with such great wordsmiths, hey more power to you.

Last edited:
Business is always about the money.

Money is about relationships.

Majors have those relationships.

There are still standards where gimmicks are frowned upon. The Coco song is almost a parody, it's so ignorant and clicheish. " I got baking soda. I got baking soda" lol. If you want your generation to be associated with such great wordsmiths, hey more power to you.

This just goes to show that hip-hop has no influence anymore.

In one instance, people say that songs like Coco are not hip-hop. The next minute they are saying that hip-hop is suffering because of songs like this. How can hip-hop be suffering from a song that is not hip-hop?

Even the hip-hop heads (gurus) do not know what to make of today's music. They try to say it is rap or street hop or something different. But to everyone else in the world, this music is hip-hop. The gurus have no explanation as to what is going on. They have no true definition of what hip-hop is anymore. They don't even have a unified face or voice anymore.

All you get is esoteric statements like "Hip-hop isn't on the radio". What the heck does that mean? Do I need to be a member of a secret society to find out what true hip-hop is these days? The radio stations are claiming to be "where hip-hop and R&B lives". If what they play isn't hip-hop, what is?

The game is over. Hip-hop is what it is and it isn't pretty or fun or even dangerous anymore. Cliche guys yelling chants over sub bass melodies and synthesizer riffs. Goodbye. EDM is still fun.

1. Hip hop influences my life every single day, I'm obsessed.
It's all I think about 24/7.

2. Hip hop is on the radio, in the morning when they play the old shit and when Kendrick Lamar comes on. Lol.

3. We are not Gurus of hip hop we just understand it better than most. And we are students learning everyday, even learning about the crappy shit they play on the radio, try to dissect it and see what's so great about, but only to come up empty handed in the end. And with an earache.

4. No it's no secret society. Just more mature better taste. You guys are like jello shots, over expensive shots of vodka at the club. Drama over nothing Jersey shore type peeps.

We're like fine wine, great tasting fresh brew created from our own works of our hands. Thinking of ways to get ahead in the basement while saying cheers. Ok don't know where I went with this one but you know what's up.

5. No! The game is not over, this is just beginning of where our teachers left off. Most of us haven't had our chance yet, so many gifted people none of us have heard yet, and some you'll never hear. But there's also gorgeous girls you'll never see in Victoria secret, because you know it is what it is. But none the less they're out there. You'll see the bar will only be raised higher, hip hop rap will only get better. Better word play, better stories (yeah that used to a part of rap). Ridiculous real freestyles, not the ones on your i pod. It ain't over. Well maybe for you.

BUT THE REAL QUESTION IS, WERE YOU REALLY IN IT TO BEGIN WITH?

Hip hop>Graffiti(Art)>Rap(Mc`ing)>Breakdancin(B boys)g>Djing(scratching)(turntablist)>Knowledge(the thing that makes us grow, not hold us back)

Last edited:

This just goes to show that hip-hop has no influence anymore.

In one instance, people say that songs like Coco are not hip-hop. The next minute they are saying that hip-hop is suffering because of songs like this. How can hip-hop be suffering from a song that is not hip-hop?

Even the hip-hop heads (gurus) do not know what to make of today's music. They try to say it is rap or street hop or something different. But to everyone else in the world, this music is hip-hop. The gurus have no explanation as to what is going on. They have no true definition of what hip-hop is anymore. They don't even have a unified face or voice anymore.

All you get is esoteric statements like "Hip-hop isn't on the radio". What the heck does that mean? Do I need to be a member of a secret society to find out what true hip-hop is these days? The radio stations are claiming to be "where hip-hop and R&B lives". If what they play isn't hip-hop, what is?

The game is over. Hip-hop is what it is and it isn't pretty or fun or even dangerous anymore. Cliche guys yelling chants over sub bass melodies and synthesizer riffs. Goodbye. EDM is still fun.

As a fan it's not your duty to defend the actions of others. Some get defensive because they view it as an attack on their generation. I'm 27 years old. The same age as Bow Wow. He wasn't exactly a lyricist either. People naturally mature as they get older and rightfully so their music tastes should differ from someone alot younger than them. As much as I like Beanie Sigel as an artist, if someone says he promotes negativity and is on that tough guy shyt, It doesn't offend me one bit. It's the truth I'm still a fan , not a laywer trying to defend their actions or explain their mindset when they wrote the song. If I caught my son and lil cousins listening to Beans, I'd have to straighten them out too and clear up a few things.

Last edited:
You didn't need majors then and don't need them now. The underground will always be the most powerful force on the Earth.......not the majors. The internet is showing you proof of that. You weren't able to see the numbers of people seeling tapes and CDs out of the trunk verses "major record sells". You could do those numbers...you would think some of those artist in the streets were lying to you if they told you they sold 100,000 out of the trunk. They won't get a plaque for it...........think they care? You can also add in the number of actual underground music shops and record stores supporting underground artist without the need for those major mfers. But put the underground together as a whole as far as money......I bet the numbers are more than that of major release sells......(not talking shows and royalties ect) but units. A lot of people never took the time, stopped, and imagined the billion dollar industry that had nothing to do with majors......and how they could be a part of that. You see the power all day thanks to "the internet". Got Jeezy and nem hopping on every opportunity they can get.....with their major asses.

And the sad thing is all of these fake ass want you to think they are underground ass rappers who were signed.......HAVE BEEN LOST ALL THESE YEARS....because they never had a hustle bone outside of their contract. And what do they do? Cry like biitches.....about how they got fuucked. Talk about the state of hip hop and blah blah blah. As if we should forget about the people who have own their own company for all of this time and have done great without living the lifestyle of "numbers not lying" and all of that BULLSHIT!!!! You mfers fall for that shit all the time. A million dollars is a million dollars............you can be realistic and make it slowly but surely......or you can fantasize about how somebody is going to write you a check to get it......how long will it take to hit that lottery ticket? May be about the same time it took you to grind for it. That initial starting point (especially in this world of social media and how consumers are shaped into these marketing strategies) is the painful start.

Last edited:
You didn't need majors then and don't need them now. The underground will always be the most powerful force on the Earth.......not the majors. The internet is showing you proof of that. You weren't able to see the numbers of people seeling tapes and CDs out of the trunk verses "major record sells". You could do those numbers...you would think some of those artist in the streets were lying to you if they told you they sold 100,000 out of the trunk. They won't get a plaque for it...........think they care? You can also add in the number of actual underground music shops and record stores supporting underground artist without the need for those major mfers. But put the underground together as a whole as far as money......I bet the numbers are more than that of major release sells......(not talking shows and royalties ect) but units. A lot of people never took the time, stopped, and imagined the billion dollar industry that had nothing to do with majors......and how they could be a part of that. You see the power all day thanks to "the internet". Got Jeezy and nem hopping on every opportunity they can get.....with their major asses.

And the sad thing is all of these fake ass want you to think they are underground ass rappers who were signed.......HAVE BEEN LOST ALL THESE YEARS....because they never had a hustle bone outside of their contract. And what do they do? Cry like biitches.....about how they got fuucked. Talk about the state of hip hop and blah blah blah. As if we should forget about the people who have own their own company for all of this time and have done great without living the lifestyle of "numbers not lying" and all of that BULLSHIT!!!! You mfers fall for that shit all the time. A million dollars is a million dollars............you can be realistic and make it slowly but surely......or you can fantasize about how somebody is going to write you a check to get it......how long will it take to hit that lottery ticket? May be about the same time it took you to grind for it. That initial starting point (especially in this world of social media and how consumers are shaped into these marketing strategies) is the painful start.

If you want national exposure...you need a major. Period.

You're not getting on National TV without a major.

You're not getting National Prime Time radio spins without a major.

You're not getting national press without a major.

Those things take RELATIONSHIPS. The majors have them. You don't.

If you want national exposure...you need a major. Period.

You're not getting on National TV without a major.

You're not getting National Prime Time radio spins without a major.

You're not getting national press without a major.

Those things take RELATIONSHIPS. The majors have them. You don't.

Fuk a relationship and fame. I want full control of my revenuues . Broke artists all had relationships with majors at one point or another. P Diddy's artists had relationships and national exposure. I recently posted this on another thread:

You means millions of downloads these days. Didn't they just release a statement saying no artist went platinum in 2014. What would you prefer:

A)500,000(gold) downloads at 99cents each and be on a major label and sign a 360 deal.

Or

b) have 40,000 downloads on your own independent label and no 360 deal.

In situation A, you may not see a penny from those downloads because the label will claim they have not recouped their expenses as well as give up a portion of your show money. While Situation b, you get the $40,000 dollars minus ITunes cut plus you get all of your show money.

Let's compare Bobby Shmurda's income on a major to Tech Nine on an independent.

Bobby Shmurda has been hard at work playing shows, but it turns out he's hardly getting paid.Shmurda took to his Instagram to air some grievances about not getting properly compensated for his shows. He didn't name any names or blame anyone specifically, but Bobby went so far as to suggest suing anyone who has a contract with Bobby Shmurda but doesn't have his signature on it.
The clips were only up briefly on his Instagram and have since been deleted.
The most heartbreaking part came from his caption which read (italics ours), "“Nah idgaf I’m doing all theses show not getting ma money dey got me doing shit every ****ing day so its hard to keep up Witt dis shit den I ain’t got nobody to trust ain’t no help in dis ***** I’m ready to go back to da trap be4 jail #RNS dats how I feel foh.”
It's sad to see a young guy get caught up in all the foul ways of the industry, but that's life. Hopefully Bobby can get his situation figured out and get his money right. His five-track EP, Shmurda She Wrote, is set to be released Nov. 10 on Epic Records.
UPDATE: Bobby's mother and manager, Leslie Pollard, recently spoke to Billboard about the situation, saying that the rant wasn't about Bobby not getting paid, but rather him just being new to the music business. Her full comments can be read below.
"It's not that he's not getting paid, it's that he's new to the business," Leslie Pollard tells Billboard. "There's a chain of command that he has to go through before he gets his payment. I guess he's thinking all the money should go from the front man to his hands -- it doesn't work like that. Of course they hold onto it so he actually does the show. Then it goes to his business manager, then to the touring accountant, and then to him."

Tech N9ne: Hip-Hop's Secret Mogul
Within the walls of a nondescript building in an ordinary suburb of Kansas City, hip-hop’s most mysterious mogul stands atop a staircase, surveying his latest products as a proud farmer might gaze out at a bumper crop of corn.
Below, the shelves of the supermarket-sized room bloom with t-shirts, backpacks, water bottles, sunglasses, sticky-notes, g-strings and just about anything else that can accommodate Tech N9ne’s name or his logo, an interlocking bat and snake that form the first letters of his Strange Music empire. Other curiosities on the floor include a dusty Dodge Challenger (a graduation present for the rapper’s son), two bins filled with bras (thrown at the Tech during shows) and an $80,000 custom motorcycle (destined to become a wall ornament in his new recording studio).
Tech scoots down the stairs, his bald head gleaming in the bright fluorescent light, and soon he and his business partner, Travis O’Guin, are tearing into the latest cardboard box to arrive on the slow boat from Asia. More t-shirts. These ones are emblazoned with the motto “Strange Music Saved My Life” (the rapper also sells a shirt that reads, “Strange Music Ruined My Life”). Tech’s face erupts into a grin.

“This is how busy I am,” he says. “I’m like, ‘When did this come in?’”
300px-Tech_N9ne_on_2006-11-06.jpg
Tech Boom: The Midwest's answer to Cash Money.

Tech isn’t exaggerating about his schedule. He has played over 1,000 shows over the last five years; since 2006, he’s released more than one studio album a year on average. For his latest effort, this year’s Something Else—which was battling Jay Z’s Magna Carta…Holy Grail for the top spot on the rap charts when I visited Kansas City this summer—he collaborated with B.o.B, T-Pain, Cee Lo Green and fellow Cash Kings Wiz Khalifa and Kendrick Lamar.
All that hard work is finally paying off. He and O’Guin have crafted a one of the most streamlined independent operations in hip-hop–perhaps of any genre–making Strange Music something a leaner, stealthier, Midwestern version of Cash Money. As a result, Tech pulled in an estimated $7.5 million over the past year, up $1.5 million from his Cash Kings debut in 2012, topping better-known artists including 50 Cent, Mac Miller and Rick Ross.
“What sets him apart is not only that his all-around work ethic is crazy, from the stage to the studio, to writing them rhymes,” says Lamar. “[But] in everything, he reaches for perfection.”

Full coverage: Hip-Hop Cash Kings 2013
For Tech N9ne, aged 41, the results have been a long time coming. Born Aaron Dontez Yates to a single mother in a rough section of Kansas City, he started rapping as a youngster and earned his nickname for his rapidfire style (he now sees the name as a combination of “technique” and “nine, the number of completion”).
Tech always had a flair for the eccentric, whether it was hunting ghosts as a youth or donning dramatic face paint before shows as an adult. As s a rapper, he married the verbal dexterity of hip-hop’s Golden Age with the tenacity of thrash metal. That was enough to score him some success as he bounced between local labels, landing in 1997 at Quincy Jones’ Warner Brothers-backed Qwest Records. But nobody could agree on a single, and Tech’s career stalled.
It wasn’t until he met O’Guin in 1999 that things began to change. O’Guin told the rapper he was a big fan of his music—and asked why Tech was never on television or radio while lesser rappers prospered. Tech felt that his tangled web of handlers were preventing him from reaching his full potential. O’Guin told Tech about the millions he’d generated from his furniture business, and suggested they go into business together.
“We did a 50/50 partnership of Strange Music, and it was the best move I could make,” Tech recalls. “He took this idea I had in my head, the snake and the bat … Travis is such a shrewd businessman, he took this idea and put it everywhere.” Says O’Guin: “I realized this was a lot more interesting than furniture.”
But before Tech could get to the point where he was selling Strange Music beer coozies for $4.99 and pendants bearing his logo for $74.99, he had to get out of his existing deals. It certainly didn’t hurt having O’Guin, a defensive lineman-sized force of nature, at meetings with some of the more questionable local labels with which Tech had become entangled. But Tech’s new partner also helped him get lawyered up and started cutting deals; O’Guin would eventually pour in $2 million of his own cash before he started getting money back.

Before that happened, the duo encountered more than their share of adversity. They partnered with JCOR Entertainment to launch Tech’s album Anghellic in 2001, but six months–and 100,000 copies–in, the company stopped paying him. Tech and and O’Guin were able to get the album’s rights back, at which point they teamed with MSC, a label launched by Priority Records founder Mark Cerami, and rereleased the album, selling 300,000 more units. Tech’s 2002 follow-up, Absolute Power, sold over 350,000.
After moving to Los Angeles in 2004 to be near MSC’s Hollywood offices, the duo decided to return to Kansas City in 2006. They’d sold half a million records in a little over a year, earning enough respect to land a distribution deal with Fontana/Universal–and rebooted Strange Music by themselves. In 2006, Tech released Everready—this time keeping the bulk of the bucks gleaned from its sales of more than 250,000 units for themselves. And that trend has continued.
“I don’t get in his way, creatively,” says O’Guin, picking up a black football jersey adorned with a letter X flanked by a set of flaming wings, and holding it up to his chest. “We’ve got one rule: we don’t talk about hurting kids.” Tech pipes in: “Exactly.”
These days, the entire operation is generating just shy of $20 million per year. As we wander through the warehouse, O’Guin explains that the streams are split fairly evenly between the three main categories—merchandise, which totals roughly $6.1 million annually; music, which brings in about $6.5 million; and touring, which adds closer to $7 million. The genius of the duo’s operation lies in the cost structure: for all three streams, there’s essentially no middle-man.
Merchandise comes in directly from manufacturers, mostly in China, leading to astounding margins (the average cost of a t-shirt that retails for $25 is about $3). CDs and LPs are pressed independently through a distribution agreement with Fontana (giving Tech a cut that’s perhaps six or seven times as much as he would receive at a major label). Strange Music slices off another layer of cost by owning its own fleet of 23 tour vehicles, enough to take $1.7 million worth of merchandise on a recent tour (O’Guin says they refilled the trucks three times). And then there are the endorsements.

“Monster Energy is one of the only deals,” says O’Guin. “We’ve been approached to do 20 different deals, but there’s a lot of them that just don’t make sense to us: ‘Hey, we want Tech to do this.’ He ain’t going to wear that damn shoe—”
O’Guin’s attention is diverted by a recently-arrived box of black-and-white scarves, each about six feet long, with the words “STRANGE MUSIC” spelled out in block letters. “Dude!” he says excitedly, his voice booming over the crinkling cellophane. Tech wanders over, suddenly enthused for the fall fashion season. “Oh, shit! October time!”
The tour complete, I follow them out to the parking lot. O’Guin ushers me into his long black Bentley Mulsanne, which is parked diagonally and seems to take up as much space as a school bus (he tells me he has 24 cars in total, including a Lamborghini Murcielago, a Rolls Royce Phantom and a Ferrari F-430; Tech isn’t as much of a car guy, he says, but has a penchant for Mercedes).
On our way to Strangeland Studios, the duo’s $4 million facility currently under construction, O’Guin estimates that between 5,000 and 10,000 people have had the Strange Music logo tattooed on their bodies.
“When you put this on a person, on a shirt, on a hat, they become walking billboards,” Tech tells me, his tone dripping with amazement. “And conversations start.”
Perhaps it’s the decades spent toiling in relative obscurity or maybe it’s just his personality, but Tech does seem to carry a sense of wonderment with him wherever he goes. He gushes over collaborations on his new album with rockers including System of a Down’s Serj Tankian and the remaining members of the Doors.

And he recalls when, at a recent concert in Utah–standing backstage as 3,500 fans screamed his name at the top of their lungs–O’Guin tapped him on the shoulder.
“He was like, ‘This is your life,’” Tech recalls. “And said, ‘I know! Shit is crazy.’”

Last edited:
Fuk a relationship and fame. I want the cash. I recently posted this on another thread:

Are you willing to put in the 25 years that Tech9ne has for that cash?

Tech9ne took 25 years to get to the yearly earnings that Drake has done in less than 5.

Tech9ne took 25 years to get to the yearly earnings that Drake has done in less than 5.

Tech's success started when decided to go into business with his brilliant partner. If he stayed on a major, he'd still be broke because the majority of those revenues would go to the label instead of him. He'd be paying for employees salary and all type of shyt. Tupac generated way more money for Death Row and that nigguh had less than 100 racks in his account at the time of his death. Also on a mjor you have to move when the label moves. That's another way they screw up your money making opportunites. As an independent you can make immediate decisions that affect your income as opposed to waiting for the greenlight and approval from others.

Last edited:
Tech's success started when decided to go into business with his brilliant partner. If he stayed on a major, he'd still be broke because the majority of those revenues would go to the label instead of him. He'd be paying for employees salary and all type of shyt. Tupac generated way more money for Death Row and that nigguh had less than 100 racks in his account at the time of his death. Also on a mjor you have to move when the label moves. That's another way they screw up your money making opportunites. As an independent you can make immediate decisions that affect your income as opposed to waiting for the greenlight and approval from others.

I think its a case by case situation based on your realistic objectives. There is an argument for both sides.
In terms of a majors, they are still the quickest route to get to superstar status. You just don't get in serious rotation without big money. You don't get featured on i tunes unless somebody is pushing you.
Also, a lot of so-called independent folks actually have major backing with promo/distribution deals and project money. Logic dig interview where he basically said he's been with Def Jam for more than 2 yrs, it just wasn't announced because some people like to say their indie.

In terms of indie, yes you get total control and a better return on your investment, but you will have to build up a promotion and distribution network, and travel budget on your own.
You can be as artistically pure or experimental as you want, but will anyone know you outside your local area.

I think you need a mix, at least in the beginning. You find a way to do a promo/distribution deal that doesn't cut too much into your autonomy or totally screws you out of your publishing. Of course, you have to build yourself up to where labels are chasing you.

Also, remember that most veteran successful artist choose to stay on a major label.

Last edited:
I think its a case by case situation based on your realistic objectives. There is an argument for both sides.
In terms of a majors, they are still the quickest route to get to superstar status. You just don't get in serious rotation without big money. You don't get featured on i tunes unless somebody is pushing you.
Also, a lot of so-called independent folks actually have major backing with promo/distribution deals and project money. Logic dig interview where he basically said he's been with Def Jam for more than 2 yrs, it just wasn't announced because some people like to say their indie.

In terms of indie, yes you get total control and a better return on your investment, but you will have to build up a promotion and distribution network, and travel budget on your own.
You can be as artistically pure or experimental as you want, but will anyone know you outside your local area.

I think you need a mix, at least in the beginning. You find a way to do a promo/distribution deal that doesn't cut too much into your autonomy or totally screws you out of your publishing. Of course, you have to build yourself up to where labels are chasing you.

Also, remember that most veteran successful artist choose to stay on a major label.

Yeah, Indie with a major distribution is feasible just as long as no 360 deals get signed.

Now listen to the Insider give his view on it.

Last edited:

Troup you sound like an Executive. Are you a double agent playing producer/Executive?

Last edited:
Troup you sound like an Executive. Are you a double agent playing producer/Executive?

I'm a realist. And I understand the ACTUAL way the business works, and not the MTV / American Idol version of how things work.

And the reality is that relationships make this business go round. It has very little to do with talent.

It's not about who you know, it's about WHO KNOWS YOU.

It's about the money out here.

I'd rather have 10% of a Million than 100% of $1,000.

I've been out here doing this full time since 2013. It's hard out here. There's no time for idealism and purism when the light bill is due. I need to generate revenue and I need to generate it NOW. I don't have 10 years to buck the majors, and wait for the grass roots seeds to grow. I need a publicist, who knows people at TV, so I can get this artist some exposure NOW. I need an agent, who has connections, so that I can get this artist some work NOW.

That's the real side of shit. Behind every mega successful artist, is a conglomerate of people with RELATIONSHIPS, that make their career possible.

Drake was only buzzing on YouTube before CMR / Universal got involved. Radio just didn't "adopt" that song cuz they loved its much. That was a major doing that.

Same thing with Macklemore. Thrift shop didn't "magically" appear on every radio station in the country because it was such an amazing song. Those were the MAJORS that did that.

All that warm fuzzy shit doesn't move me. It's about the bottom line.

How much did Drake make last year, and how much did Tech make last year??

You wanna be a star? You need a major.

You wanna be in control? Do it yourself.

Again... 10% of $1,000,000 or 100% of 10,000?

All that warm fuzzy shit doesn't move me. It's about the bottom line.

How much did Drake make last year, and how much did Tech make last year??

You wanna be a star? You need a major.

You wanna be in control? Do it yourself.

Again... 10% of $1,000,000 or 100% of 10,000?

I believe in a bottom line as everybody needs money but let's be real, all money ain't good money as no one really knows how many foul moves anyone makes or has made to get what they want so they can flex on social media to their fame addicted heart's content. I personally believe in D.I.Y. but I'm smart enough to know it's a misnomer as jack-of-all-trades, master of none comes to mind and I'm also smart enough to know that regardless of major, indie, etc. anyone in the biz can financially rape someone.

Last edited:
Back