IS having a large ego harmful or helpful for one's music career

benji2

I was watching a documentary on Narcissism and the host mentioned the direct correlation between Narcissistic people and success. I know arrogance is a trait of many successful people and it seems like narcissism is also. What is your opinion? Maybe Kanye's inflated ego is not so bad after all:

Last edited:
It depends... the second you use your inflated ego and
point it at the people who support you, that could do more
harm than good...

On the flipside. If you really believe you are the best, when
you clearly aren't, that belief will, without a shadow of a doubt,
mold your reality since you will start behaving like it and the people
around you will start believing you.

Perception does shape reality.

I think that it is harmful. I think that people tend to root for the underdog and in order to be perceived as the underdog you have to have the underdog mentality.

Take Kanye West, for example. Which Kanye did you love more? Underdog Kanye who was banging out beats behind the scenes and was hungry to get on and prove that he could rap? Or Keeping up with Kardashians Kanye who talks to people and treats people as if they were garbage because he believes that he is a living God?

I guess which Kanye made better music is up for debate but i would argue that it was early Kanye.

Last edited:
The only people that want to hang with humble people are sharks, vultures, and snakes. Enuff said.

All the nice artist and musicians end up stuck making songs for the rest of their life on how they got FUUCKED. The only thing that be on their minds for the rest of their life is how they got FUUCKED. How the label fuucked them......how their wife took half of the little bit they got.........how they can't trust anybody any more.........same sad story that only sells to others who secretly are as pathetic as they are. They want sympathy and feel they deserve it because they were "humble".

If I never made you MFERS hate the shit out of me in the first place.......yall wouldn't give me the attention I DEMAND from your humble asses. And the fact that you hate me....you mule faced muuuufooooggaaaaaah..is the very reason others love me. You were the filthy worm on my hook, foo......ole stankin doo doo in the fingernail head ass BOI!!!

The only people that want to hang with humble people are sharks, vultures, and snakes. Enuff said.

Pretty much. Everybody falls off at some point, but the jerks and weirdoes are always remembered more. I say if one cannot be a good jerk, be a better weirdo. That has always worked for me.

Strangeness = importance. Plus I'm a cutie pie. :-)

It really depends. You have to have some type of ego, but you gotta have something to back it up with or You'll just be annoying and off putting to people. You also gotta know when to play the ego card and when to be humble

being humble or shy is just another form of the ego, it's an inverted ego. all those things are caused by our fears and insecurities

The media would have everyone believe the world of entertainment is absolutely overburdened with so called 'egomaniacs'. 'Don't believe the Hype' Courting and manipulating the media is an absolute art form, the kings of 'spin' reign supreme, maintaining 'Celebrity' seems to be an addiction in it's own right, but I wouldn't confuse clever manipulations of the media and the general public, with somebody damaged enough, that they are capable of extinguishing the life of a rival, when enraged:berzerk:. Perhaps egotism itself is just another form of entertainment which stimulates curiosity through observing the lengths that others are willing to go, to maintain or complete their own persona. I watched two school friends drift in and out of each others lives for decades, their ego's would not allow either to keep each others company longer than a couple of days. Sadly their relationship couldn't develope beyond 'mutual respect', arrogance and fierce rivalry always got in the way.

Everyone is a narcissist to a degree but it is a way to cover up insecurities and vulnerabilities and in a industry to be perceived as small as the music industry, a large ego should do more harm than good but that is an issue of the temperament of the individual.

A die-hard fanatic will always supply excuses for their idols indiscretions, they'll work around an issue until they've uncovered a more palatable explanation. In their minds their idols exist in a kind of demi-god state, which allows them wider margin for error, perhaps in some cases the fans become partly responsible.
kissing ass works as much as playing the prima donna, maybe the real trick is deciding when and when not to.

Lets see how many times Kanye's name comes up in this thread as a reference point......

you-ain-t-got-the-answers-sway-o.gif

Where having an ego can go really wrong is when people overestimate their own abilities, as in what is known as the Dunning-Kruger Effect, that's where someone thinks they are awesome because they are too inept to realize that they in fact suck ass.......and I think most of us have at some point encountered that guy.

I think it boils down to SEMANTICS and knowing which one is happening- when and with who.

Humble = good.
Meek = Bad.

Stop confusing the two.

Confident = good. That's based on prior experience. I am confident about this because I have done it before.
Believing in yourself = good. You have faith based on doing something similar before.

Egotistical and and being arrogant are substituted for confidence or knowing your worth and even demanding respect.
This is not about how you treat yourself, it's about how you treat others. Total difference.

Ego trippin works when you are in a position of power. You BOSS can act the fool all day. What are you gonna do? Quit or eat it.
When you work with those higher up than you, your ego will be crushed or if they aren't into conflict, they will simply NOT WORK WITH YOU and you will rant about not getting your way and never understand why. That's usually when people tell you to get out of your own way.

And like everything else, you can't look at someone and gauge how their act/gimmick/attitude/stance/demeanor is working by what they achieve or gain or have.
You have no idea what they missed out on based on that same look you think is the answer and the way to be.

Both depending on who they surround themselves with. Like minded people work together (generally). If a bullheaded artist/producer is attempting to fit him with personalities that are opposite it could be a deal breaker and vice versa.

Unfortunatly i think having a big ego is helpful in achieving any kind of success. Like someone said humble people tend to get ****ed, wich is sad.
I think its ok to act like an egomaniac when ur rappin in a song for the sake of the music, but it sux When u like go to a job interview and u have to like brag about ur skills and shit like a douchebag. I dont understand why society has to promote ******* behavior, its fkin retarded

I think when you're flying high, it's hard to stay grounded. Most people are humbled by their positions in life. That being said, if your ego has you jumping out of trees before your wings are developed, you'll hit the ground harder than most. But when it's time to soar, why not?

Back