Does The Music Industry Hate Black Women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The only reason I say yes to this is because just as it is with our Brothers, we are both praised and vilified and there is no middle ground in regards to Black females' self expression. There's nothing to disagree with in this interview.

Last edited:
The industry only responds to what sells and the industry as a whole has been built on socially retarded boys with jr high sense of self worth.
As they said in the video, the women who give them a pass by getting up and dancing, buying or going to their shows are just as complicit if not moreso for showing these "boys in mens bodies" that they are ok with it and agree that is how women should be treated.

What Desire Inspires said is a great question. Like Nightshade said, the industry only responds to what sells BUT where is the black female voice? No one can better represent the black female voice than the black female. Who speaks for the black female? Michelle Obama? No. Beyonce? No. Nicki Minaj? No. Oprah Winfrey? No. To echo Audre Lorde, "If you don't define yourself for yourself, you'll be crushed into other people's fantasies of you and be eaten alive."

Black women have to get out there and make noise for themselves. No more of this "woe is us" stuff. Just go hard and stop caring about being treated fairly. Make these fools bow down at your feet!

What Desire Inspires said is a great question. Like Nightshade said, the industry only responds to what sells BUT where is the black female voice? No one can better represent the black female voice than the black female. Who speaks for the black female? Michelle Obama? No. Beyonce? No. Nicki Minaj? No. Oprah Winfrey? No. To echo Audre Lorde, "If you don't define yourself for yourself, you'll be crushed into other people's fantasies of you and be eaten alive."

Anybody who quotes Audre Lorde is alright with me.
But it was a silly question to suggest that Black women have not dropped quality music.
The music industry like the film/tv industry have not been checking 4 black women on the whole.
In this day u can't judge the quality of music on what is consumed by the masses.
Many folks are speaking for black women, are u listening to?
Listen to these lyrics, rap says some powerful stuff about black girls:

Black women have to get out there and make noise for themselves. No more of this "woe is us" stuff. Just go hard and stop caring about being treated fairly. Make these fools bow down at your feet!

What are u talking about? When do u stop caring about how u are treated as a human.

In terms bowing down maybe u mean like Shandra Rhimes who's killing it on tv now. Or are u talking about Queen B?

Last edited:
What are u talking about? When do u stop caring about how u are treated as a human.

You stop caring when you realize it is entertainment and not slavery.

Too many people getting caught in their feelings instead of just making compelling products.

Eff your feelings. Make better product. I want to buy your product, not your feelings.

You stop caring when you realize it is entertainment and not slavery.

Too many people getting caught in their feelings instead of just making compelling products.

Eff your feelings. Make better product. I want to buy your product, not your feelings.

Ha, that's cute.

So you're suggesting its about the quality of your product, and not fitting into a certain image or the strength of the machine u have behind u.
I don't think that's the point the OP was trying to make.

Eff yo feelings is real life, but the core of this discussion is not something that concerns your normal sarcastic disposition.

And just how would you go about doing this...
If they only wanna see u naked n twerkin....
- She told the director she trynna get into school he told her take them glasses off get n the pool... west
- We need a few more half naked women up in the pool n can you please put your titties closer to my 22's... fiasco

And just how would you go about doing this...
If they only wanna see u naked n twerkin....
- She told the director she trynna get into school he told her take them glasses off get n the pool... west
- We need a few more half naked women up in the pool n can you please put your titties closer to my 22's... fiasco
Uhhhh, don't show up to the audition?
A nigga can't make you twerk summmm if you never showed up to the casting call.

These chicks tryna have it both ways. And hell, black women aren't this monolithic entity. Just accept that some chicks wanna be hoes and some wanna be scholars.

I dnt think u understood what i was trying to say...
The lyrics are of a girl whos trynna do better for her self
- the black female in the industry (tho i could only find vixen reference huuhmmm)....
Yet nobody cares... nobody is listening nor checkin for a better female...
All they care about is what sells...
If your dope you better be supa dupa dope or....

Kinda like when your young n your grandmother explains that u cnt just be black n smart...
You have to be black and smarter then everyone else n the room n order to get a pinch...

Well u cnt just be a dope songstress...
- u gotta have ya titties out on stage...
- Your to skinny for the black image... u need more hips
- but dnt dare go natural if your not neo-soul

I agree they arent a "monolithic entity"... but are they seen this way...??

This whole post is stupid.

If the industry truly hates black women, then why the hell are black women trying to get into the industry? Are people really this myopic in their thinking? Who the hell continues to work harder at a job that brings in less and less return?

I am fully convinced that some people love to be victims. These people put in the least work and have the most complaints. And if you are working hard and getting the wrong result, do something different. You are not entitled to "make it".

If the industry truly hates black women, then why the hell are black women trying to get into the industry? Are people really this myopic in their thinking? Who the hell continues to work harder at a job that brings in less and less return?

I am fully convinced that some people love to be victims. These people put in the least work and have the most complaints. And if you are working hard and getting the wrong result, do something different. You are not entitled to "make it".

Contrary to your sarcasm you seem to either not understand or misunderstand that the question posed is near and dear to my heart as the blatant and covert disrespect is the reason why I have the opinions that I do about the industry. How do you know if someone is and who is myopic in their thinking? While I do believe that AmeriKKKa supports and rewards anyone with a victimhood mentality you must understand that there are people who have taken and take all the so-called correct paths to whatever society defines as success and still don't receive whatever society defines as a financial windfall. No one is entitled to make it but think about how many teens and adults have been accustomed to seeing their fave celebs flaunt their material wealth only to have drilled into their heads via mass media that success is directly related to materialism?

If anyone age 30 or older isn't making at least $50,000 a year, that person's priorities in life are not correct.

Eff the industry. You aren't in it, and you aren't getting in. Get more education, more training, and a better career. You cannot be an example of anything if you are not successful.

If the industry truly hates black women, then why the hell are black women trying to get into the industry?

Using your logic we'd still be drinkin from separate fountains...
While i def agree with u that some love to play the victim...
Im not sure what that has to do with the convo at hand...
Unless ur insinuating to the op...

edit...
Rereading this thread im not sure we r all even on the same page or train of thought...
-maybe we all read into what we wanted from the op...??

Last edited:
If anyone age 30 or older isn't making at least $50,000 a year, that person's priorities in life are not correct.

Eff the industry. You aren't in it, and you aren't getting in. Get more education, more training, and a better career. You cannot be an example of anything if you are not successful.

Well, you're obviously very misinformed. In the US, the median household income is $53,000. That means that half of all households (which means all the money you, your partner, etc, make all together) in the US make less than 53,000 a year. The per capita income (meaning what the average person makes) is around 30,000 per year. USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

People must really being doing it where u live, ha?

So according to you logic most people do not have the priorities right and should just get more education, training, and a better career. Right? as if everyone in the US has equal access to these things. LOL.

Save the self-help conservative bs for people who watch fox news on a regular.

This is the definition of a closed mind.

The only reason I say yes to this is because just as it is with our Brothers, we are both praised and vilified and there is no middle ground in regards to Black females' self expression. There's nothing to disagree with in this interview.

Hate? I'm not sure. The industry definitely does not respect the Black woman for her mind and artistic viewpoints. We're in a male dominated society and Hip Hop is a subculture that has always been misogynistic for the most part. As much respect as I have for the Black women who is the matriarch of the family in many instances, I myself sometimes have problems seeing past the physical attributes. Take Amber Rose for example. All I could focus on were them hips and booty. It's a problem that's bigger than hip hop unfortunately. It's just a microcosm of what happens on a larger scale. I do want that special someone to have more than just physical qualities but I cant be hypocritical about the situation. Like I mentioned in a previous post, it's even worst in film where the Black female is virtually non existent. It's standard practice now for the Black male lead to have a Non Black female love interest like every Black man is into interracial dating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back