Do you like the old school production style or the new?

I'll always prefer sampling over live instruments. HipHop has always been about sampling. It's funny though, because I didn't realize what sampling was when I was a kid. I was surprised when I started learning which samples where used in my favorite hiphop records. But I guess if it feels good that's all that matters. However, there's something timeless that still makes me feel good when I hear old school tracks like this one.

Yeah, i didn't really fully understand sampling until a bit later. While I have listened to a little jazz/funk etc for years, over the past 5 years I have been on a deep self educational tour of jazz soul and funk from 60s through 70s and I still love it when I hear a song and think; aaaaaaahhhhhhhh, thats where that comes from, particularly if the sampler really chopped it up so its barely recognisable unless you're listening very closely

Depends ...
i mean when i hear a good old school instrumental on a song i like, it gives me the chills you know, i go back to my childhood.
but the new type of beats are more of a turn up situations haha ..

Old school all the way. There's so many stories you can tell with multiple samples in one cohesive track. :)

Last edited:
I would say my style is in between Old Skool -vs- New Skool.
I sample first and than add my own VSTi's on top of it to give it that extra flavor.

That's the way to go for me.

Back