DJ Mustard & The Return of the Hip Hop Super Producer

Oh..., cause i was gone say, DJ Mustard is not a Producer. Hes a beatmaker. He dosnt produce records, he makes beats for them.

So DJ Mustard is a simple beatmaker and has songs all over Urban radio. He even has some of those same songs in rotation on Pop/Top 40 stations. It seems to me that being a beatmaker is a great thing. Why strive to produce when I can just make beats and still be successful?

Let's be honest, DJ Mustard beats are as simple as The Neptunes beats were when they first blew AND Timbaland's beats were when he first blew. They both had super simple ass beats...the difference is that Neptunes & Timbo beats, as simple as they were, sounded NOTHING like the other shit that was out. Same with Swizz. Mogs bitched about how they only used 5 sounds and all that, but them niggas bought a totally different sound with them. And poor Timbaland, he got bit the worst because his drum patterns were the easiest to duplicate, and EVERYBODY duplicated his shit, to the point that he had to switch his shit up several times to keep mogs from biting him and putting him outta business. DJ Mustard uses the same 808 and trap drum kits as everybody else. He just has access to get them to people. Period. If a nigga comes out next year and gives an artist the same type of simple shit but they make a hit out of it, they gon say "**** Mustard" and go get some beats from the new nigga. All he gotta do is be less expensive than Mustard at first, and watch what happens.

^^^While I have the same belief....very strong belief that you have...I just wait for time to tell. I've been wrong before...like when I thought Rick Ross was done after being exposed as a C.O. BMF proved me wrong, lol. I've got to wait out and check this guy. I'm not sure he can't reinvent himself. As much as I hate alot of his work...i gotta say he's developed a variety of sounds that all carry his brand. Songs like "My Ni**a" by Quan and YG sound like "Main Chick", but while still sounding like Mustard, T.I.'s "Mediocre" has a different vibe.

Same time...the biggest Mustard record to date was Iggy's fancy. That says alot....

And you get it in 5.....4.....

DJ Mustard Details Iggy Azalea Rift | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX

I'm not against borrowing a popular sound...but how you go rip off the bay for yours, and then feel like this when it happens to you?

I'll still say, i'm not sure about this guy's path. I'm just watching and trying to see how this game is played these days, I'm way out the loop.

Check out the comments in that article as well...pretty funny and sound similar to exactly what is going on in this thread.

My question is what can I do to get on like DJ Mustard? I can steal a regional sound and run with it. What's the sound in Kansas? Is Idaho making anything unique? New Mexico has a new swag? Is Vermont or New Hampshire serving up some new heat?

Maybe I need to go overseas and bring back something new. Ain't no hip-hop producer really sampled African music. I think I can get into that. They got some crazy drum sounds.

My question is what can I do to get on like DJ Mustard? I can steal a regional sound and run with it. What's the sound in Kansas? Is Idaho making anything unique? New Mexico has a new swag? Is Vermont or New Hampshire serving up some new heat?

Maybe I need to go overseas and bring back something new. Ain't no hip-hop producer really sampled African music. I think I can get into that. They got some crazy drum sounds.

All Mustard did to get on was copy the types of beats every producer in San Francisco (Beat Flippaz, Droop-E, Ant Banks, Rick Rock has higher chart success with 2Pac and Jay-Z than Mustard, even Lil Jon has done more for Bay Area music than Mustard with Tell Me When to Go and Hyphy/Super Hyphy IMO) were making for years.

Then, spend all of your advance and "DJ'ing" money on radio spins and strip clubs (Ebro admits he finds out what's "hot" from what's played in strip clubs because apparently that's where the 13 to 25 year old demographic goes for their music as well).

Then, talk about how you're so creative and original and beef with people who take your 5-track beats and make a bigger hit with ghostwriters and a 4-note melody.

Last edited:
"Apparently"

Yea i've herd the talks about the cylce of life for music...
But that just doent make since for me...
Kno person is going to the strip club to listen to the music...
-only artist who r tryin to reinvent themselves b/c now the strip club is poppin...

Lets be real...
The first n last time u went to the strip club... u went for the women...
F_ck the music thats playing... as long as it gets them cheeks clappin...
-sorry excuse for playing sh_tty music...

"Apparently"

Yea i've herd the talks about the cylce of life for music...
But that just doent make since for me...
Kno person is going to the strip club to listen to the music...
-only artist who r tryin to reinvent themselves b/c now the strip club is poppin...

Lets be real...
The first n last time u went to the strip club... u went for the women...
F_ck the music thats playing... as long as it gets them cheeks clappin...
-sorry excuse for playing sh_tty music...

Talib Kweli was in an interview with Ebro (posted earlier in this thread) and this fool Ebro admitted that's where he goes to find out the newest hottest joints. Kweli should have fried that man up for the next 30 minutes over that.

He will never be that S word because 10 years from now his music will be forgotten. He doin his thang "right now" but the longevity of his music is just for "right now" :berzerk:

Fun Fact for people that take any of these Popularity Contest Awards seriously:

Grammys Won by the Beatles from 1965 until 1995 (30 years) - 6
Grammys Won by Bob Marley, Diana Ross, Buddy Holly, Lynyrd Skynrd, The Who, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin combined - 0
Grammys Won by Lil Wayne, Drake and Nicki Minaj combined since 2006 (8 years) - 5
Grammys Won by Kanye West since 2005 (9 years) - 21

Money quote:
Still, being one of the biggest hip-hop producers in the world seems to affect other people more than the man himself. "Pressure?" he says, looking at me quizzically. "I let everybody else think about that. I just get money and make beats and have fun. It's no pressure. I don't feel it at all."

Money quote:
Still, being one of the biggest hip-hop producers in the world seems to affect other people more than the man himself. "Pressure?" he says, looking at me quizzically. "I let everybody else think about that. I just get money and make beats and have fun. It's no pressure. I don't feel it at all."

That's what's up!

What artist in 2014, outside of Jay-Z doing a Samsung deal, has a budget to support $250,000 on producing the entire album let a lone one song?That's one reason that you don't hear Timbaland that often, and not usually with new artists unless their his artists. Why do you think he only reallyappears for Beyonce, Jay, & JR?Who else is selling enough units to mathematically justify paying that much money on one song, to a producer who's just now making "hit" songs again?I give Mustard his props, as a super producer in 2014, what it means in this era. The industry climate isn't the same as it was when Tim did Are You ThatSomebody so you can't really judge the business the same. This is Mustard's year, he has his DJ sets, Roc Nation deal as an artist, Timbo himself was onhis mixtape co-signging, their both signed to Roc Nation, he broke YG like I said, he gives brand new artists hits, Iggy Azalea is #1 with an imitation of his sound, ...not that you should judge "hip-hop" by the pop charts

Isn't hip hop and pop basically the same thing these days?

Fun Fact for people that take any of these Popularity Contest Awards seriously:

Grammys Won by the Beatles from 1965 until 1995 (30 years) - 6
Grammys Won by Bob Marley, Diana Ross, Buddy Holly, Lynyrd Skynrd, The Who, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin combined - 0
Grammys Won by Lil Wayne, Drake and Nicki Minaj combined since 2006 (8 years) - 5
Grammys Won by Kanye West since 2005 (9 years) - 21

This proves the above point!!!

Back