Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: DJ Mustard

  1. #1
    Prosthetic's Avatar
    Prosthetic is offline The One-Armed Bastard
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    DJ Mustard

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Don't all of his beats sound the f-ing same? I know alot of producers have their own 'style' but this dude is beyond that; no creativity. Every time before I hear one of his beats drop I think I'm listening to I'm Different or Rack City. Call me a hater or whatever, it just grinds my gears seeing more of these "producers" who learned what notes are yesterday blowing up. Anyone else agree?




    likes this.
    http://soundcloud.com/prosthetic-productions/cant-you-see
    "I love a liar, but I hate a cheater." -Ari Gold

  2. #2
    901_Rice_Street's Avatar
    901_Rice_Street is offline Rice AKA Clyde Drexler
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8,933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Get over it. It's 2013.

  3. #3
    Prosthetic's Avatar
    Prosthetic is offline The One-Armed Bastard
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 901_Rice_Street View Post
    Get over it. It's 2013.
    Oh yeah you're right. I get it now. Given that its the 14th year into the 21st century, that means that creativity in music doesn't matter anymore and quality should just go to shit. I totally get it now. I remember reading this in the Bible.
    Last edited by Prosthetic; 03-14-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    likes this.
    http://soundcloud.com/prosthetic-productions/cant-you-see
    "I love a liar, but I hate a cheater." -Ari Gold

  4. #4
    901_Rice_Street's Avatar
    901_Rice_Street is offline Rice AKA Clyde Drexler
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8,933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    smh.....................it's 2013......and dudes still think of music like it's 2003. The older you get, the more you will see how things can control your mind to think how you think instead of it being your own personal thoughts. Then you will focus on music you DO like for enjoyment as a human being..instead of thinking in a competitive manner as if people do and don't deserve something due to your misunderstood standards that lead you to shit on cultures. You surely don't think that his music is NOT creative. You compare his work to what you feel is creative (beat wise) in your own illusion. Plenty of people are stuck in that same illusion and have been every since they got better at "making beats". We go through this time and time again and it only let's me know who is doing their rightful job when butts get hurt.

    Sad man.........I don't think yall type of dudes like anything. It's like yall are robots or some shit. "beep...beep...BEEEEEEEEP.....this. beat. does. not. compute. as. creative.

    Post a so called creative beat. Watch that shit be a wack ass song that only beatmakers who spend all of their time making beats like.
    Last edited by 901_Rice_Street; 03-15-2013 at 12:42 AM.
    , and like this.

  5. #5
    skideg is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    DJ Mustard is the new Dr. Dre!!!

  6. #6
    JC_Biffro's Avatar
    JC_Biffro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    650
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He produced 2 tracks on Bow Wow's album, track 2 and track 4.

    Both of those sound exactly like I'm Different. Except, he uses an organ instead of a piano. Wack producer IMO.
    Want to know which VST presets your favourite producers are using? Dip your toe in these YT beauties http://goo.gl/3OzEMF

  7. #7
    BIGMOZ is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    2,531
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 901_Rice_Street View Post
    smh.....................it's 2013......and dudes still think of music like it's 2003. The older you get, the more you will see how things can control your mind to think how you think instead of it being your own personal thoughts. Then you will focus on music you DO like for enjoyment as a human being..instead of thinking in a competitive manner as if people do and don't deserve something due to your misunderstood standards that lead you to shit on cultures. You surely don't think that his music is NOT creative. You compare his work to what you feel is creative (beat wise) in your own illusion. Plenty of people are stuck in that same illusion and have been every since they got better at "making beats". We go through this time and time again and it only let's me know who is doing their rightful job when butts get hurt.

    Sad man.........I don't think yall type of dudes like anything. It's like yall are robots or some shit. "beep...beep...BEEEEEEEEP.....this. beat. does. not. compute. as. creative.

    Post a so called creative beat. Watch that shit be a wack ass song that only beatmakers who spend all of their time making beats like.
    Damn...that is one long ass pseudo intellectual rant!

    ---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Prosthetic View Post
    Oh yeah you're right. I get it now. Given that its the 14th year into the 21st century, that means that creativity in music doesn't matter anymore and quality should just go to shit. I totally get it now. I remember reading this in the Bible.
    You make a legitimate point. His music does sound the same. Let's look at the benefits of that.


    1. It helps establish his sound and his brand. When you hear one of his songs, you immediately know Dj Mustard did the track. It's very difficult to forge a niche sound in this business. Some producers do it with certain fx (Lex Luger with that pitch up effect, Mike Will with Mike Will drop); some producers do it with their overall sound. That's how Mustard does it. It's how Battlecat does it.

    2. His music is mostly party music meaning it's intended for clubs and having a good time. In the industry, this type of music is what's most successful because it sells singles. People hear it in the club and love dancing to it. So Mustard is doing a great job of capturing a certain energy that consumers demand.


    A lot of songwriters/producers get too caught up in the creativity of music. They hear a song and think it needs another instrument layer on top; the piano is too simplistic; they would have used a different snare drum. But ultimately what matters is how consumers react to the finished product. Consumers don't always care about what snare was used, or how complex the melody line was. They care about remembering a catchy hook, or being able to dance to the song at a venue. If you're dancing and having a good time at a club, you've likely paid to get into the venue, you've paid for a few drinks, you might have purchased the single from iTunes; all of those actions help the economy in some sense. This is why Ciroc, Vodka, so many alcohol labels have rappers as spokesmen. This is why rappers headline clubs. Business is important.

    So when you listen to Dj Mustard, think about the business of the industry as opposed to the creativity of the music. Now, if you're going to go into "People should be in hiphop for the love..." argument, it's a completely different argument and quite naive, imo.
    likes this.
    http://www.bigmoz.com/releases.html

  8. #8
    BrightLen's Avatar
    BrightLen is offline Bright Boy
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    DMV | NC
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yea they do all sound the same but you have to understand, this guy created a whold new style! No matter how simple it sounds no one else thought of it. And it makes money! Dreake's 'The Motto' was inspired by it and that song was in the top 5 for month's. He made history and when artist want a DJ Mustard beat they go to him. Create your own style and you can go far!

  9. #9
    DjayCas is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,497
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

  10. #10
    KelevraOne's Avatar
    KelevraOne is offline Not too Kelevra son
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Youngstown, Oh
    Posts
    3,001
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrightLen View Post
    Yea they do all sound the same but you have to understand, this guy created a whold new style! No matter how simple it sounds no one else thought of it. And it makes money! Dreake's 'The Motto' was inspired by it and that song was in the top 5 for month's. He made history and when artist want a DJ Mustard beat they go to him. Create your own style and you can go far!
    He really didn't create that style of beats though. You can find beats like that waaaaay before he came along. Hell even I made a beat that sounded similar to rack city way back in 09. But if you really want to find the source of that sound listen to some west coast dance music.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
A3E sponsorship event box

Check out A3E in Boston!