D'Angelo & the Vanguard Black Messiah Sly Stone Vibe? Thoughts?

Listened to a couple tracks on youtube. Had a definite Sly Stone vibe for me. Loved it. Any thoughts or articles about it I should read listen to or check out?

I think it's a pretty good album. I had to buy it just on the fact that I love supporting real talent. As far as articles, there's several articles here and there, you'll probably be better googling to find them on your own. The majority of the user comments I found online have been positive. I feel the album is good for urban culture, because we needed something different than some of the r&b-pop music we have right now. I know the music game is way different than when he last released a new album, but its cool that he didn't have to go through the changes that other rnb/soul artists might have had to go through to stay relevant over the years. He basically came back and sold somewhere around 150,000 so far, while others rarely break 50,000 in sales.

here's one review from okayplayer.com
The New D'Angelo Album Is Finally Here, And It's Everything Okayplayer

The album was not very good. It sounds dated with a lot of recycled material and filler. It was just raw expression and playing, sort of like a soul and funk blooper reel.

This music is good for small crowds that want something "alternative" to listen to. But I think it sounds a bit silly compared to most modern music.

I am glad it came out though. D'Angelo needed a chance to show the world what he still had within him. Nothing much it seems. Hopefully his live shows are a bit more energetic.

The album was not very good. It sounds dated with a lot of recycled material and filler. It was just raw expression and playing, sort of like a soul and funk blooper reel.

This music is good for small crowds that want something "alternative" to listen to. But I think it sounds a bit silly compared to most modern music.

I am glad it came out though. D'Angelo needed a chance to show the world what he still had within him. Nothing much it seems. Hopefully his live shows are a bit more energetic.

As much as I want to disagree, I think your general view is accurate. Its sounds like a continuation of the Voodoo on some levels.

It seems like the biggest change is he went from being a bad azz keys man to a bad azz guitar man (which ain't easy).

I'm not sure how much appeal it will have with the Trey and August listeners, but folks who remember the soul r&b of the 90s will appreciate it.

On musicianship alone its one of the top albums of last year (Roy Hargrove on horns, Quest Love on drums, etc).

The album is a sampler's/flipper's goldmine!

The way the songs are made, things can easily be snipped and looped. It would be dope if Just Blaze or another hip-hop producer made a whole album of beats just from using samples from this album. Shoot, it would be cool if cats from FP flipped a few joints for fun.

you'll either love it or hate it. It's definitely not pop music or something you'll hear on the radio too often. I like the album because of his musicality, and it's totally left of what's going on. My ears needed a break from some of the fused R&B/HipHop/pop music of today. I probably would have passed on it 15 or 20 years ago though because I couldn't interpret it. But I can't see how anyone of age wouldn't atleast feel "Really Love" and "Another Life".

Last edited:
The term "modern" means "eventually will be outdated". Real music is forever. I appreciate the album.

A lot of black people are publicly speaking from the mind of a Hebrew Isrealite.

I respsect that.

Last edited:
The term "modern" means "eventually will be outdated". Real music is forever. I appreciate the album.

A lot of black people are publicly speaking from the mind of a Hebrew Isrealite.

I respsect that.
That damn video was OMG funny. He's for sure WORST top 5, dead or alive.

I will say it's not as solid as Voodoo but still good. More musical than Voodoo. More experimental but still in there.

Very experimental. Im not sure what to think of it after just one listen, parts of it reminded me of Miles Davis On The Corner album.

Back