Bobby Shmurda Rants About Not Getting Paid

You know how the game goes: they will make you famous before they make you rich. The thing about the record industry is that the artist always gets paid last. He has to put money into other people's pockets before he gets his share.

But he can get some money upfront. He just needs to make up a new song and dance and work with the right management company. That is critical for the survival of any artist. He has to learn the business and grow his brand.

Unfortunately, he will probably fizzle out in a year due to frustration. The record business is not for impatient people. People don't get rick quick, they usually get famous quick.

Signing with a label seems like an outdated business model. I'd think artists are better of hiring people to do freelance work like booking shows, marketing videos to various sites etc... It seems like Bobby's mom is learning on the job like him.

Is anyone even surprised? I kinda feel bad for dude and those like him...
They come from jack shit, drop a song that catches on fire and aren't
ready for what comes next... and i ain't even going to blame him, i
don't think anyone is ready for overnight fame, but man atleast demand
something upfront from these shows, so even if you get stifled you
atleast got something out of it.

Last edited:
Sounds like a 360 deal to me. The label gets a cut off the show money as well. Ghostface said it best. "Waiting on these royalty checks takes too long it's like waiting on babies". tHIS IS A CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF KNOWING YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the label's been keeping him busy with tons of appearances, and then he comes home thinking he'll be compensated differently than he was...then when he checks his reports, he sees someone else getting paid huge percentages of what he thinks he's owed for his work. This goes beyond 360 deals, it's just music 101.

You want show money, book your own shows and get money in your hand before performing. If not percentages are going to everyone involved in putting together your show. I'm sure with 360 deals it's worse, because the label will keep you busy, but I'd guess he's been doing alot of stuff setup by management and the label for promo(exposure aka free public appearances on his side) as well at this point in his career.

I don't understand this new industry. Guys sell less than ever and expect more money than was ever put on tables. It's due to old rappers lying about how much they spent on jewels and driving borrowed cars to homes the label let them stay in. We stunted so hard these new guys think they get all that 2 months out.

Sounds like the label's been keeping him busy with tons of appearances, and then he comes home thinking he'll be compensated differently than he was...then when he checks his reports, he sees someone else getting paid huge percentages of what he thinks he's owed for his work. This goes beyond 360 deals, it's just music 101.

You want show money, book your own shows and get money in your hand before performing. If not percentages are going to everyone involved in putting together your show. I'm sure with 360 deals it's worse, because the label will keep you busy, but I'd guess he's been doing alot of stuff setup by management and the label for promo(exposure aka free public appearances on his side) as well at this point in his career.

I don't understand this new industry. Guys sell less than ever and expect more money than was ever put on tables. It's due to old rappers lying about how much they spent on jewels and driving borrowed cars to homes the label let them stay in. We stunted so hard these new guys think they get all that 2 months out.

Exactly, they dont see the work ethic either. They're not familiar with Dre working 72 hours in a studio, Diddy's 20 hour sessions, Lil Wayne & 50 Cent's phenonemal work ethic not to mention that most of the artists who are wealthy have 10 plus years experience in the industry.

Last edited:
its the non musically inclined artists complaining.

you never hear the artists who have a team, know how to play music, self made artists complaining. its the viral guys that didn't know they were famous until they check their Youtube plays 2 months later and see how fast they have grown on people. the cats that believe dropping a "classic" mixtape on Datpiff that complain. Not the cats that made their own budget for their projects.

What do these instant microwaveable rappers expect. You can't reheat cup of noodles. These dudes as ignorant as their music. What do you expect... NEXT.

Last edited:
Back