Biting someone's is no worse than sampling.

Desire Inspires

I never get why hip-hop fans have a hissy fit when one artist or producer bites another's "style". Wasn't most of early hip-hop created from sampling other people's music?

Most 'new' things are not new. They are a combination of old ideas in new packaging. That is the way the world works. Let people feel free to bite without catching feelings is what I say. The end result is more important than the source of ideas or the process of creation.

Your right on! I find that the best way to progress or come up with something new is to look at what the last best person did and make it your own. Like you said, its just how the world works. People that don't like it probably struggle to get with the movement or are just haters

I'll die following the "no biting" rule. Early 80s Hip Hop was lyrically simplistic and no more limited subject matter wise considering the style of beats artists rapped over but when late 80s-early 90s heads upped the ante both sonically and lyrically that rule made sense and timeless sounds were the result.

Last edited:

I never get why hip-hop fans have a hissy fit when one artist or producer bites another's "style". Wasn't most of early hip-hop created from sampling other people's music?

Most 'new' things are not new. They are a combination of old ideas in new packaging. That is the way the world works. Let people feel free to bite without catching feelings is what I say. The end result is more important than the source of ideas or the process of creation.

I disagree. Both are part of the foundation of hip-hop. Sampling was around from the beginning and anti-biting attitudes were there too.
Usually the music u sampled were not in competition with u (even though early 80s hip-hop basically took the whole song) it was disco or funk from years before.
Biting, on the other hand, was direct competition. I steal a punchline or phrase from a cat across town, that's more of a personal insult (though I'm sure James Brown was real pissed in the mid-80s).
Both are cornerstones of hip-hop, but biting someone's style or bars is viewed almost as bad as dissing someone.
Plus, today sampling is more selective than it was in the 80s, but biting is still the same.

The whole essence of sampling is taking a piece of audio and making something new out of it, something DIFFERENT from the original.
Whereas biting is the opposite, you are imitating another persons style therefore taking their 'piece of audio' and using it the exact same way.
There is always a fine line with sampling though, if you are just taking a whole song and rapping over it, I would consider that biting rather than sampling.

Biting, on the other hand, was direct competition. I steal a punchline or phrase from a cat across town, that's more of a personal insult (though I'm sure James Brown was real pissed in the mid-80s).
Both are cornerstones of hip-hop, but biting someone's style or bars is viewed almost as bad as dissing someone.

That sounds like an excuse for someone who is not able to compete. If someone bites me, I need to step my game up or get out of the game. You win by crushing the competition, not changing the rules. I myself think biting someone else is cool.

If your purpose in hip hop or any genre for that matter is to deliberately bite someone's style then you are unoriginal and give me no reason to listen to you.

Now, if you blend a mixture of styles that influence you and create your own sound or if you sound similar, but it was not intentional, then thats different.

But, I just can't get behind an artist that tries to blend in.

Sampling and biting are two different things. In my opinion a good sampler takes music others have made and rearange it to a new updated unique style of their own. Biters deliberately try to copy.

It's the difference between copying something word for word and putting it in your own words (often samplers also add information so its adding new stuff to it aswell).

Last edited:
When you sample you pretty much gotta pay the songwriter you sampled... And there's always a difference in sound, when you bite dj mustard you end up sounding like dj mustard, epmd don't sound exactly like james brown even though they sampled him...

I do agree that nothing is original, some people are just better at hiding their influences *picasso quote*

Good producers don't worry about fellas in awe like me and some other casuals.If us casuals imitate something that amazes us, the originals take it a step above us every single time.The originals showed us casuals how it was done before we filled up the wagon of trace :p

Seriously though if somebody trying to imitate you, you affect them.Awe does this.

Desire is stepping his game up and creating whole troll threads, not just troll posts?
Well done Sir.

Honestly, the earnest agreements you get from people who dont realize you are trolling is the most entertaining part of FP.
Cant count how many times you have deadpanned some ridiculous shit had an instant "Yeah! F the haters!" reply.

@ topic, yeah, if we all try to copy the best music, then we end up with the best-of-the-best. Whats wrong with that?
I think it will be better for all music if everyone just looks at the top ten and tries to out do them.

I myself think biting someone else is cool.

Thats great for u....
but how many people make it off biting...
- Thelonious Martin
- Dr. Dre
i mean... maybe u could name more then i can...

"if we all try to copy the best music, then we end up with the best-of-the-best"

This is real shit...
but of course n your own way...
as n with your own creativity n twist....

Last edited:

That sounds like an excuse for someone who is not able to compete. If someone bites me, I need to step my game up or get out of the game. You win by crushing the competition, not changing the rules. I myself think biting someone else is cool.
for example, who?
are talking bout a mc or producer?

Omg Desire, this is addictive. Ima try 'gain!

I mean, when our goal is to bite popular styles, its really like we are paying respect to them.
They figured out something dope and we recognize that, so we do it too.

Thats great for u....
but how many people make it off biting...
- Thelonious Martin
- Dr. Dre
i mean... maybe u could name more then i can...

Forget who made it off of biting. People with original music flop all of the time. Biting is cool because you take something that is familair to people and repackage it.

Familiarity is why a mediocre song becomes a hit. Most songs on the radio would die if they onlt got one chance to play. But playing a song a few times gives people a chance to get familiar and have the song become common. A bad song that is common can get more love than a good song that is new.

That is exactly why biting works. Why wait 15 years to sample a song or copy a style? Copy a hot song today and make money today. Tomorrow may not ever come.

Back