artistic DISRESPECT

your "work" gets dissed...do you take offense?

• Yeah, i take it personal

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Naw, i don't take it personal

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
what do you do music for?

I think answering this question will reflect on how you take alot of critique. If you do music that YOU like and don't worry about appealing to others, you usually get heavy appraise from people who relate to your sound while being shun by people who don't.

I started off only making dark symphonic beats. Alot of people loved my sound, but anyone into more mainstream music wasn't vibing to it. Used to piss me off when folk said stuff like "all your beats sound like horror music". You can still hear it present in stuff I do, but making this a career forced me to make my stuff "happier".

When someone disses one of the beats I make to sell, it doesn't phase me like it used to when folk dissed beats I was just making to simply nod my head to.

Alot less passion goes into making what people want from you. Alot more goes into making what you want.

Not saying either is bad. It's all about what you want out of your music.

making this a career forced me to make my stuff "happier"

had to water it down for the bread, huh??

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Alot less passion goes into making what people want from you. Alot more goes into making what you want.

Not saying either is bad. It's all about what you want out of your music.

and that's exactly where a lot of people's "generic" answer comes in...

they say BOTH...like, nobody got the balls to go either left or right...everyone wanna stay right in the middle and shit...

Fyle formatz can i hear your songs/raps/beats or whatever,

u seem like a mysterious character lol.
you can make fyle beatz bruh just click the most random shit ever into any sequencer of your choice and record yourself hittin random off note keys thinkin about how much you hate the white devil :rofl:

had to water it down for the bread, huh??

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

and that's exactly where a lot of people's "generic" answer comes in...

they say BOTH...like, nobody got the balls to go either left or right...everyone wanna stay right in the middle and shit...

You're absolutely gonna have to water it down for the bread, unless you go in with completed albums and a fanbase to your unsaturated sound already(tons of Rock bands do this, lots out of your area, not so much in hip hop).

As for the generic answer...to be 100% real, I've said on here a million times. i was a RAPPER, I learned to make beats for myself because i got tired of asking folk for beats and overpaying to not get exactly what I wanted. I started making money off it and was cool with just "producing".

I had a deal on the table as a rapper as a teenager that required me to do club songs in a 90s Lost Boyz/Ma$e'ish(before Mase) style and wear contacts and dyed hair to make me look "exotic". I declined to do any of the requests, spent my time on the label making street shyt, was dropped and the (white, no racecard he just acted like my long lost white daddy when my real Dad was in my life, promising I could by my mom homes and all the regular B.S. you say trying to mold me into what he wanted)guy in charge told me I'd never see another check from music EVER. He had the nerve to tell me he KNEW EVERYBODY. He wasn't exaggerating much, but I've gotten by okay.

I say all that to say "beats don't mean much to me. It's just pressing buttons in my book. I was passionate about being a rapper. Passionate enough that I wouldn't change NOTHING I did as a rapper. I stood firm doing the music I wanted to and portraying the image I wanted to.

With beats, I can hide behind a drunk Big Bird or Elmo avatar. If you don't feel the same about your "beats" and are actually passionate about how your production sounds(I can honestly say i don't care), you're not real in my book to sell your soul to make a hit record.

I make beats for the money, and have fun while I'm at it. Not the other way around. If you can sincerely say the opposite, you should ONLY be doing WTF you want.

Honest answer.

Last edited:
(tons of Rock bands do this, lots out of your area, not so much in hip hop).

gee, i wonder why...lol
:rofl:

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

off topic -

this shit's tight:

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

no racecard

lol...i hear you...truth is truth...it is what it is...
:cheers:

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

I had a deal on the table as a rapper as a teenager that required me to do club songs in a 90s Lost Boyz/Ma$e'ish(before Mase) style and wear contacts and dyed hair to make me look "exotic".

shabazz the disciple breaks that down eloquently:

everyone in this thread (including me) has walked out of a movie theater and said."that movie was horrible". called a someone and said " dont go see that sh** ". (is Jerry Bruckheimer on this board?)
or..
said " that paintjob on that car/house/whatever is wack".

my point: Why would it be a problem if ANYONE does the same to our music? I don't think anyone needs to be qualified or needs to explain their opinion of art to anyone.

my lil cousins that rap , laughed at the first beat tape i made that i didnt tell them was mine. they said nothing constructive. i took a step back and accepted it. it was cool to get punched in the stomach like that because i thought to myself, "i may not be able to please everyone, but i'll be DAMNED if my stuff gets LAUGHED at again".

"Let's have a toast to the assholes!"

^^^There's a separation though. Any of us who have friends who know about cinematography know they don't just say "that movie sux". They go in depth and you can't keep up with the convo.

Same for folk in this field. I never met a rapper who can't tell me what kinda beats he likes in a good decription. They don't say "i like beats with a boost on the kick at 64hz and plenty of doubletime hihats", the say, "I like krunk beats like T.i.'s Bezzle, Playaz Circle's Duffle Bag boy or Rick Ross' Hustlin". i immediately know they don't mean "Krunk beats" they mean beats with the whiny organs and guitar licks.

All i'm saying is, as producers we should be able to get in depth about what's not being done correctly with each other. If you can't, don't come off as a producer.

Come off as whatever you want to be represented as.

everyone in this thread (including me) has walked out of a movie theater and said."that movie was horrible". called a someone and said " dont go see that sh** ". (is Jerry Bruckheimer on this board?)
or..
said " that paintjob on that car/house/whatever is wack".

my point: Why would it be a problem if ANYONE does the same to our music? I don't think anyone needs to be qualified or needs to explain their opinion of art to anyone.

my lil cousins that rap , laughed at the first beat tape i made that i didnt tell them was mine. they said nothing constructive. i took a step back and accepted it. it was cool to get punched in the stomach like that because i thought to myself, "i may not be able to please everyone, but i'll be DAMNED if my stuff gets LAUGHED at again".

"Let's have a toast to the assholes!"
very good explanation of the topic :cheers: couldnt agree with you more

i don't feel like quoting everything I thought was spot on, but geez....basically everything deranged said QFT !

^^^There's a separation though. Any of us who have friends who know about cinematography know they don't just say "that movie sux". They go in depth and you can't keep up with the convo.

Same for folk in this field. I never met a rapper who can't tell me what kinda beats he likes in a good decription. They don't say "i like beats with a boost on the kick at 64hz and plenty of doubletime hihats", the say, "I like krunk beats like T.i.'s Bezzle, Playaz Circle's Duffle Bag boy or Rick Ross' Hustlin". i immediately know they don't mean "Krunk beats" they mean beats with the whiny organs and guitar licks.

All i'm saying is, as producers we should be able to get in depth about what's not being done correctly with each other. If you can't, don't come off as a producer.

Come off as whatever you want to be represented as.

i completely agree when its 2 peers of the same industry/field speaking to each other. its within good ethics to do so if we are representing ourselves as peers within a field. i feel you on that.

but the question doesn't really ask that kinda specifics..so in general... no explanation is needed or required

Why would it be a problem if ANYONE does the same to our music? I don't think anyone needs to be qualified or needs to explain their opinion of art to anyone

good point, sir.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

as producers we should be able to get in depth about what's not being done correctly with each other

COSIGN...

out of all the people that have called my shit "wack" (and there's been many), they've never been able to really go in depth w/ it...

one thing i figured out tho, IF PEOPLE CAN'T CONVEY IN-DEPTH why they do or do not like something (or agree / disagree w/ something), then don't take 'em seriously...and that applies to more than just music...
:smokinFP:

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

when its 2 peers of the same industry/field speaking to each other. its within good ethics to do so if we are representing ourselves as peers within a field.

word...

I mean you gotta understand some people express themselves like that for example "your shit is garbage"
that doesn't faze me because it just shows how ignorant the person is.

Especially on FP where people talk shyt about your music when theyre pissed at your for any reason,maybe your getting more money than them? who knows.

I for one know good criticism from the bad and i dont worry about peoples flaming.

In real life its another story if somebody doesn't like your shyt then their entitled to their opinion like somebody else stated but at the same time it only helps you become a better producer and try harder and with time you'll learn you cannot please everybody.

Thank gods theres actually people who wont only say 'im not feelin your beat' but they would also tell you whats wrong with it and not leave you with a huge ? in your head.

Hearing negative criticism is always bad because you sometimes work so hard but take it the positive way and try harder.

-2cents

i have been called wack by people who like Wacka Flocka hell no im not offended

That's why I said that it depends on the variables (for me)

Most of the time I don't give a phukk

But sometimes there's this one person you really want to like your shit, and if he/she doesn't it strikes a nerve...

No, not at all. I will go on a limb and say producers, not matter what genre they are in, will hear something "wrong" with your music. It's one of those "I would have done this" scenarios, which is very annoying.

Back