artistic DISRESPECT

your "work" gets dissed...do you take offense?

• Yeah, i take it personal

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Naw, i don't take it personal

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Depends from which side you are looking on it:
1: Daily - just making a beat, uploading it somewhere, then no.
2: But if i made some kinda EP/LP what probably would be provided to some ''target audience'' and they would said that this project is weak, then probably yes - i would take it personal, and i would spend my time to find out what went wrong and why.

I don't take it personally, but it's never fun to hear that your music is wack.

Still, I just take it and move on.

when someone says your music / art is wack / weak / garbage, DO YOU TAKE IT PERSONAL?
nope not at all everyones opinion is there own...im damn sure tho there will b shit loads of lies and false answers in this thread tho

Last edited:
No I don't even see how its disrespectful, if someone sasy my music is garbage its their opinion, maybe they could choose better wording but I aint gon get hoemotional about it.

No. Cause I spend too much time listening to folk who have no reason to be yes men telling me how talented I am and paying me for my services.

I do respect critiques. Someone(I think J. Troup? If not, sorry, my bad) once commented on this site that I needed to stop using off tuned sine wavs for basslines(default Subtractor patch in Reason). When I explained to them I did that for temporary ideas and I later replace it because I hate digging for the right bass and blending it in the middle of making a track, and sometimes even use live basses, they scoffed like I was making excuses.

Other members chimed in to say it sounded fine, but i knew it didn't because it wasn't meant to, lol. I haven't posted a track with a sine for a temporary bass line since .

When i first started(I was rapping then, not even producing yet) someone asked me why my mixes didn't sound like stuff on the radio. Really appreciate whoever told me that only reason I know how to engineer to this day. We all need to feel like i felt after that once in our music career. :cheers:

Learn to separate critique from "hate" and folk simply being ignorant to the style/sound of music you do.

But be sure to take the critiques just filter the hate and stupidity that will only hinder your sound if you fall victim to it.

Last edited:
Learn to separate critique from "hate" and folk simply being ignorant to the style/sound of music you do

jewels.gif

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

filter the hate and stupidity that

but how do you filter the hate from actual constructive criticism??? how do you tell the difference?

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

or even OPINION vs. HATE?

jewels.gif

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

but how do you filter the hate from actual constructive criticism??? how do you tell the difference?

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

or even OPINION vs. HATE?
i dont think current fp is the place to try and have opinion vs. hate convo or differentiating hating from constructive criticism...i mean ive seen shit like someone sayin a beat or song has too many snare rolls and there labelled a hater :confused:

Last edited:
Sometimes

Depending on a lot of variables, like:

Whos says it (People who know music production: No, I want their opinion plus they often have a better reasoning to why they don't like it....If it's a regular listener then yes, If a random person (who likes hiphop) doesn't like it, then ïm really doing something wrong)

What do I think of that particular beat myself (do I think It's a masterpiece, then yes I'm offended, is it just another beat then no, not at all)

The reasoning behind their criticism plays a big part...

Every 4 months or so I'll get a wake up call at how not good a really am.

Fp witnessed one, it was some thread that modus started just showcasin peoples music and biggrome just shut me down. I was rea pissed but my music is better now and someone actually told me that so I was pretty happy then.

I don't really get the "your music is wack" a lot but usally I just shrug it off but like I said sometimes I can really sense that they are right and I get all depressed. But then I just get better and am thankful it happened.

in other words, people here say one thing, but do another???
no in the sense that we have some people who use the term hater to describe anything that isnt sunshines and rainbows happy joy joy positive i see way to many using it as defense mechanism and quick write off of somethin someone said they dont like

correct.

but isn't it somewhat difficult to accurately identify that reasoning???
not if you realize its the net and move on regardless of what a screen names reasoning is... i will say that im pretty sure alot of the ones who get all hurt over gettin critiqued are the younger generation of producer

The beatmakers who really get hurt are the ones who have never recorded with anybody and their only experience is via the net.

Sad.

i take it personal because its myself im putting out there, nobody likes to be critiziced but i have learned to not get pissed from it. in this business your going to get harsh critizism, so yea its personal in the sense of me lookin at my work and realizing its faults thats personal. so i try to learn why and how to improve it. just like that sell my soul i thought that ish was soo dope when i posted it all my homies thought it was dope and then it wasnt that dope i was like wtf, so last night i took the advice tried some more takes and heard a huge difference. im still working on that song hope yall like it next go round

Last edited:
in this business your going to get harsh critizism

yeah...and that's the thing...

some cats are gonna take it personal and wanna resort to squabbin'...others will take the same exact criticisms w/ a grain of salt...

i guess it all boils down to PRIDE and / or IGNORANCE...THOSE are the types of cats that can't take counter-opinions.
:smokinFP:

Back