anyone else have a hard time listening to monotone rappers?

BrentLabasan

Fabr of the Fabrcators
anyone else have a hard time listening to monotone rappers?

I got started on rap by listening to Dre and Snoop and their melodic beats, and especially on Bone Thugs and of course their harmonization and singing raps. And the Timbaland 90's era came in and RnB dominated also so yea it kinda makes me sad that I have a harder time listening to the more monotone rappers like Blue Scholars and Fort Minor and Gangstarr and GZA.

yea being monotone can be boring. One of my friends raps awesome words and has a lot of speed, but hes monotone and i hate it

Yeah thats a big east coast rapper problem imo.

To each his own. GZA is still a legend, GURU's still a legend (pre-Solaar). Liquid Swords and Step In The Arena are still classics. Period. "Big east coast rapper problem"...give me a break, lol.

So I guess vocal clarity and intelligence must be a "big dirty south rapper problem" then.

DaFunkDocta said:
To each his own. GZA is still a legend, GURU's still a legend (pre-Solaar). Liquid Swords and Step In The Arena are still classics. Period. "Big east coast rapper problem"...give me a break, lol.

So I guess vocal clarity and intelligence must be a "big dirty south rapper problem" then.

calm down man. Im an east coast head myself. I'm just saying that east coast rappers tend to have a problem being melodic.

You are right about the southern rapper problem too. Each region has its problems and advantages.

Yo!

Okay first of all Emcee's have a hard time finding their own sound.It may be the massive amount of artists coming out that its become hard to not sound like anyone out.Mind you the Lyrics may be Dope but if the tone isn't multi toned everyone has a fit.I am an emcee myself and this has been a problem for me. Producers always say to me the lyrics are hot but its monotone.First of all I'm not a singer this is why I rap.Why? Because I can't sing!lol That and Emcee's such as Guru and Gza? And how bout these guys anyways? Legends that paved the way. What there's no room for Monotone anymore? I think Not!

Mc_Judgment

Nah . My personality comes out in my lyrics . Besides I want people to hear what I'm saying Rather then how I said it.

Not to mention I've heard lots of "rappers" that have plenty of personality with nothing to say .So where is the line and whos really crossing it?

Last edited:
you could have the worlds greatest message in your music
but if you dont present it in a way thats attractive to the ear people wont listen

I was just working with a rapper a few months back, and when I let people hear one song of his they really liked his style. But then when they listened to a number of his songs, like if I went thru the whole cd for them, they would say hes monotone, sounds the same on almost every track.
Thats one of the many qualities that a good mc has to have. Being dynamic on every beat they spit on. Switching up their style according to the song idea.
But then you have some rappers that just overdo it *cough cough WEEZY cough*

That's why Lil Wayne is so ****in entertaining.
I'm not a fan of his, but he is a comedian.
He does all this stupid **** on the track, and it's interesting.

Last edited:
I know some peeps will get heated over this, but Bun B is monotonious as ****. I went through II Trill and the production is on point, he has great lyrics, etc.. but damn, i can't listen to his voice for a full LP. He is a good MC, no doubt about that...

Mc_Judgment said:
Nah . My personality comes out in my lyrics . Besides I want people to hear what I'm saying Rather then how I said it.

Not to mention I've heard lots of "rappers" that have plenty of personality with nothing to say .So where is the line and whos really crossing it?

sometimes its how you say something that makes people hear it.

Fist off he called guru Gangstarr so idk..But Guru is the king of the monotone, gza wasn't as monotone back then as he is now. Plus he's the greatest lyricist. So lyrics aint boring imo. Now jadakiss yeah he just talks he never switches his flow minimal like Guru does or Prodigy. Thoughs mc's do it just enough to go perfect with the beat

I rap and for me it's hard to be monotone because I get extremely excited when I rap. Rapping is the best feeling in the world to me. I love having that tingly nervous feeling and then just overcoming it. I feel like I conquered something.

I happen to rap monotone myself.. but I got a funky laid back cadillac style.. sorta like bun-b or devin the dude. so its mainly for chill people & smokers

Back